Author Topic: Freestyle / SSR4 240v setup – no output - SOLVED  (Read 8335 times)

Offline pHoZfoRus

I have finally had an opportunity to start putting together the hardware for a display this year.  All is going well except for the Freestyle & SSR4 combination.  I have a number of 240v items to control, and whilst I have the Express up and running for some of them, the location of the others requires an SSR4 solution to reduce the length of extension cables required (changing the location of the current Express or additional Expresses is not suitable).

I have made the required modification for 240v usage on the Freestyle (i.e. cut traces).  The SSR4’s have been set up for 240AC with 330ohm resistors (added DMX option before realising there was no firmware for 50hz operation).

Long story short – I am not getting any output from the SSR4 when connected up to the Freestyle.

The Freestyle is plugged into 240v AC - SSR4 plugged into 240v AC – Cat5 cable from Bobcat DMX Tester to DMX In on Freestyle,  Cat5 cable from Freestyle ‘1’ to DMX In on SSR4.  Expecting 240v AC out on Ch1 of SSR4.

Firstly, is what I am trying to achieve available on 240v?

Whilst testing for correct voltages on the Freestyle, I note that the voltages for the ZC Signal and Clock signal were not quite in the range expected in the manual.

Here is the list of troubleshooting steps I have tried so far:
  • Plugged the 240v AC element being used for testing directly into the wall – lights as expected;
  • Bobcat DMX Tester generates channels successfully to an Express – tester set to ALL channels (default channel number on Freestyle not changed after flashing of PIC so it should be from Channel 1);
  • I have tested both Cat5 cables with a reliable cable tester – all test ok and work on the Express (also used other new Cat5 cables);
  • SSR4 jumpered as per the assembly Manual for SSR (not controller);
  • Both boards checked for soldering issues (photos next post);
  • Programmed the PIC with PICKit 3 using the j1sys ICSP28 Adapter – Jumpered to “L” – used the firmware from the WIKI (Checksum 9AAF) and also a copy of the “50hz” firmware located in another topic (Checksum 922F);
  • Checked voltage readings for the Freestyle as per the Assembly Manual – readings were taken for both firmware with results below:
                                      Range expected     Wiki firmware     â€œ50hz” firmware
          5v Power               4.8 to 5.2v            5.01v                 5.01v
          ZC Signal              0.2 to 0.25v           0.133v (5.02)     0.132v (5.02)
          Clock Signal          2.35 to 2.5v           2.56v                 2.54v
          Power supply         >10v                    12.05v                12.05v
  • Confirmed with a meter that the 15k resistor for the ZC Signal is correct (measures 15.02k);
  • Tried different outputs on the Freestyle;
  • I have a second Freestyle that behaves the same with the same results;
  • I have tried a second SSR4 (unfortunately I had already built the controllers with the DMX option) and still no output.
Other than the out of range values for the ZC & Clock signals, I am at a loss as to other things to check.

Would the fact that I have the DMX option installed be causing this?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Russell
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, by pHoZfoRus »

Offline pHoZfoRus

Re: Freestyle / SSR4 240v setup – no output
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, »
Freestyle board

Offline pHoZfoRus

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, »
SSR4 Board

Offline rm357

Freestyle / SSR4 240v setup – no output
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, »
I've never tried an ssr4 with DMX in slave mode. If you pull the pic and the 485 chip, that would remove all of the connections that interact with the 4 control lines.

Also, make sure the optos are in the right way - I couldn't tell from the photo.

I've never tried this, but I believe you can hook 4 LEDs to one of the freestyle outputs and see the trigger pulses. I don't remember the pin out or polarity though... And I need to go to work right now...

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline rm357

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, »
If you do hook up LEDs, don't forget current limiting resistors 330 ohms should do.
Robert

Offline pHoZfoRus

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, »
Thanks Robert - I have pulled all chips on the SSR4 - still nothing.

I checked the optos - the dot is not obvious on the photo but they are all located on the top right (as you look at the picture).  I have swapped them out with 4 from an Express that I know is working - still no change (and double checked orientation).

I have a been able to get readings on a multimeter from the Cat5 cable coming from the Freestyle.  Even though I select channel 1 only on the tester, I can't seem to isolate pins to work out the configuration.  I am getting 5.02v across a number of different pin combinations.

I am about to reflash the PIC for the Freestyle and program to start channel 1.

This will be user error - I just need to figure out where I went wrong.

Russell

Offline kevr

• Little Gem Lights
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, »
Hi Russell,

I have run a few of these without the DMX option for a couple of years, I also made one up with the DMX option which has never been used.

If you find you need another couple of PCB's send me a PM, I have a few spares, bare and builtup that I can spare.

I am in NZ so shipping would be a bit easier.

Kev :-)
Grandad get the lights ready

Offline pHoZfoRus

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, »
Thanks Kev - I'll see how I go removing the DMX parts first.  I made a rookie mistake of soldering up all 8 SSRs with the DMX option before testing one first and realizing the DMX option is not 50hz aware (the waft of solder must have put me in a trance).

I'll try de-soldering one first - I may need a 'life-line' from you if I mess it up.

I will concentrate on isolating the SSR4 as a cause first before looking any further at the Freestyle.

Fingers crossed... 

Offline kevr

• Little Gem Lights
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, »
No worries, as I said I have a few and you can have them for what I paid if you need them.

Good luck with the de-soldering.

Kev :-)

Grandad get the lights ready

Offline pHoZfoRus

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, »
Removed the DMX components - still no life from the SSR4.  I have continuity across the fuse and from the main neutral to the other 4 channel neutrals.  I am starting to think that the SSR4 is not the issue.

I will go for a fresh start tomorrow.  Any suggestions?

Russell

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, »
They trigger from Ground as I remember so when you see 5 v on a trigger line to ground you are seeing it as the channel being off.

So there is a 5v line form the freestyle to each SSR4 and then 4 lines that are grounded to turn the channel on.

I believe I am remembering that correctly.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rm357

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, »
I looked at my freestyle, but didn't have time to do any testing.

In the output connector, pin 1 is common and 2, 4, 6, & 8 look like the 4 control lines. Pin 1 traces back to ground, so I'm guessing the 74hct273 is sourcing the trigger - +vcc to trigger the ssr4. The hct logic is only good for about 20ma in source mode and it should be 5v logic.
Robert

Offline pHoZfoRus

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, »
Thanks RJ & Robert - I didn't get time last night to check.

I'll start on the Freestyle tonight.

Russell

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, »
Yeah my memory is not the best I am afraid I aways have to go pull stuff up to remember correctly. I was not near the information to look up so I was guessing what I remembered. Thanks for checking on it for us.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline pHoZfoRus

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, »
Update - I may be able to take the Freestyle out of the equation - it looks to be working as required, but need to confirm that seeing 5v on a line is turning it on?

I am able to get consistent readings from the Freestyle as per the pin outs provided (e.g. Channel 3 all on = 5v on pins 1 & 6).  I get a steady 5v when I change channel and can trace each channel change with the meter (all 5v at 100%).  When I dim, I get a corresponding drop.  I get this with both Freestyle boards.

If this is correct, I can then focus on the SSR4.

Russell