Author Topic: Freestyle / SSR4 240v setup – no output - SOLVED  (Read 8360 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Freestyle / SSR4 240v setup – no output
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, »
Yeah I would say you have a SSR4 issue. Make sure the jumpers are correct. this is the normal issue. there is more than one jumper to be set correctly to make it an SSR and not a 4 channel SMX unit.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline pHoZfoRus

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, »
Further update.  In checking the SSR4, cables etc, i moved the 240v AC cord from Channel '1' to '4' on the SSR4.  Plugged everything and ta da - there was output on this channel.

My excitement was short lived however when I tried to turn on channel 4 only - the Bobcat Tester had to be set to all channels for it to light up.  To get output from Channel '4', I had to fire up Vixen and have at least 2 channels in the SSR4 group on (e.g. 1&2, 2&3, 2&4, 2&3&4 etc).

I then moved the 240 output cable on the SSR4 to 1,2 & 3 - no output at all (even when set to all channels on).

I again tested the Cat5 cable from the Freestyle to the SSR4 - tester reported cable is ok (and not a cross over).

At least I have some life out of the hardware.  I will post the output voltages from the Freestyle to SSR4 soon.

Offline rm357

Freestyle / SSR4 240v setup – no output
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, »
Make sure the optos (opto-isolators - the white chips) are in correctly and just for grins verify the part number on the triacs.

There is not much that go wrong with an ssr4 in slave mode.

The 5v from the freestyle goes through the resistor pack to the opto and back to the freestyle via pin 1.

Inside the opto, a led lights from the voltage which triggers a photosensitive triac.

That triac in the opto then triggers the bigger triac through the resistor on the board.

You might also look to see if you can see the part number of the resistor pack. If not, use your ohmmeter to check it. There should be roughly 680 ohms between pins 1&2, between 3&4, between 5&6, and between 7&8. The resistance between those pairs should be very high.

Opto-isolator - literally uses a led with a plastic or glass separator between it and the photosensitive triac (or transistor). There is no electrical connection between the two circuits in the chip.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline rm357

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, »
For the sake of thoroughness, please check the fuse... I can troubleshoot for hours and still make that mistake...
Robert

Offline pHoZfoRus

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, »
Robert - I think I may have found the issue.

Checking the resistor array, I get 677 ohm between pin 1&2, 1&3, 1&4, 1&5 etc.  It appears that it is a bussed resistor array instead of an isolated array.  I can not see the part number but I reckon it is the resistor array.

The resistance between pins 3&4, 5&6 and 7&8 is 1.354k ohm.

I will order new resistors and see how that goes - may take a week or so to get the parts to me, but I will certainly post if it corrects the issue.  I will put this to the side until then as it makes sense that this would be causing the problem I am seeing.

Thank you very much for following this Robert - I don't think I would be this far along without your advice.

Russell

Offline rm357

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2013, »
You can substitute 4 regular 680 ohm resistors for the resistor pack.
1/8 watt is big enough, but 1/4 watt is also fine.

I haven't looked to see what the tolerance of the circuit is, but anything between 600 and 750 ohms should not be a problem.

If the pic is still installed, you may get readings like that as the pic also connects to each opto. With the pic removed, the pairs should be isolated.

Just as another easy check, you should check the 180 ohm resistors right next to the triacs.

When I place an order, I like to make sure that I get everything I need...

RM
Robert

Offline pHoZfoRus

Freestyle / SSR4 240v setup – no output - SOLVED
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2013, »
Woohoo. :)

I now have the SSR4 responding to channels changes and dimming through the Freestyle.  Replacing the resistor array did the trick.

Checking the part number confirmed I was using a bussed array (long story short - ordered the correct part but supplied with the wrong one). <fp.

It now also works as a SSR4 DMX (dimming does not kick in until 15% but as there is no 50hz firmware I expected this).

Thank you very much Robert, RJ and Kev.  I am confident that I would not have solved this without your help.

As I was thinking all along - it was user error.

Russell

Offline rm357

Freestyle / SSR4 240v setup – no output - SOLVED
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2013, »
We are just glad you got it working!!
Congrats on your success in troubleshooting.
RM
Robert