Hardware > Lynx EtherDongle

Cat5 vs. Cat5e

(1/4) > >>

masterelectrician2112:
I have an easy question.  Sorry if the answer exists somewhere else, but I did a search and did not find anything.  My question is, regarding the cat5e cable spec'd in the diagram below, does this have to be cat5e cable or can it be cat5 cable?  I already have a huge spool of cat5 cable, so it would be great to not have to buy cat5e cable.  Are there any disadvantages to using cat5 cable vs. cat5e cable?  Thanks in advance.

caretaker:
For the purposes you are using it for, CAT5 will work as well as CAT5e with this one caveat, your keeping the runs under 200'.  The difference between is as follows:
Cat 5: Currently unrecognized by TIA/EIA. Defined up to 100 MHz, and was frequently used on 100 Mbit/s Ethernet networks. May be unsuitable for 1000BASE-T gigabit ethernet.

Cat 5e: Currently defined in TIA/EIA-568-B. Defined up to 100 MHz, and is frequently used for both 100 Mbit/s and 1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet networks.

Mostly having to do with the number of twists in the twisted pair.  The more important issue is getting your terminations done correctly.

jnealand:
The other issue is whether your spool is standed wire which is recommended.

combustionmark:
I just don't like cats. They are always leaving foot prints on my truck, and an unpleasant gift on my porch. Don't care if they are 5 or 5e.

masterelectrician2112:
I see.  So Cat5 is ok for runs of 200 ft or less, theoretically.  So I could in theory have a 200 ft run from my etherdongle to my first active hub and then another 200 ft run to my second active hub?  Or is it 200 ft. total?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version