Author Topic: SSC Help  (Read 1910 times)

Offline txburr

SSC Help
« on: March 05, 2013, »
Need some help guys!
I built SSC V2 and converted it to V3 and loaded the test firmware and it was working super until I had a short between the three light output wires. It now does not work and I do not see any parts with issues.  Can someone help point me in the right direction for which part I should test or replace?   

<fp. should not have used short jacket clips

Thanks in advance

Offline keitha43

Re: SSC Help
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, »
Check the fuse for the port you were plugged into on your hub.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Check the fuse for the port you were plugged into on your hub.

Thats normally what happens and is what is suppost to happen. So I hope thats all it is.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline txburr

SSC Help
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, »
No the port is still good when I test with another controller.  When I use this issue board and plug the Cat5 from Controller to hub, all lights flash on for just a moment

Offline keitha43

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, »
You may have fried your removable chips. Try reflashing the firmware on the PIC. If it can't it is probably fried.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, »
+1000  I never blew hub fuses, just fried pics. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, »
+1000  I never blew hub fuses, just fried pics.

Then you would have to be shorting 12v + to the data line. If you short the +12v to the ground it will only blow  fuse as no current would be running through the pic.

RJ

Offline zwiller

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, »
Once I got a set of test leads I had no issues at all. Looking back I wonder why I put them off since they are so handy.

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline txburr

SSC Help
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, »
I will try the reflash that board tonight or replace the 24 pin chip. 

Offline txburr

SSC Help
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, »
Update - the 24FJ chip reprograms just fine and I replaced the ST485 with no luck.  Could it have blown either the LD1117 or the 7805?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, »
You can check them by putting a meter across pin #28 and #27 of the pic (28 pin chip) should have ~ 3.3 volts. Across Pin #8 and  pin #5 of the st485 should have ~ 5 volts.

But shorting the output wires should not damage them as the power on the outputs does not go through them. It is direct from the cat5 to the output.

RJ

Offline zwiller

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, »
FWIW I had 1 SSC out of around 20 that after a short gave me problems no matter what I swapped.  Strangely enough it works fine with the test firmware so it stays on the bench. 

Offline txburr

SSC Help
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, »
I am getting 5 volts when testing between pin #27 and #28   What can be done to correct this?

You can check them by putting a meter across pin #28 and #27 of the pic (28 pin chip) should have ~ 3.3 volts. Across Pin #8 and  pin #5 of the st485 should have ~ 5 volts.

But shorting the output wires should not damage them as the power on the outputs does not go through them. It is direct from the cat5 to the output.

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, »
Sounds like the 3.3 v regulator has been shorted out. Make sure there is no shorts or bridged in the solder and if not then you need to replace the voltage regulator that is at the top of the pcb. the 1117v3.3 I think is the part number. You can find it on the BOM for the SSC. The pic may be damaged also from higher voltage than it is designed to run on.   Make sure you have the corrrect voltage regulator in the correct place and not swapped. 

RJ

Offline txburr

SSC Help
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, »
Replacing the 1117 fixed the issue.  Thanks for all the help everyone