Author Topic: New SSC  (Read 49253 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: New SSC
« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2013, »
Ok got the bench cleared and loaded the newest firmware V4test3 ont he SSC v4. I have a 100 node string of Ws2811 hooked up and it works correctly. You do need to have the correct number of nodes programed into you ssc if you use backwards mode or it will not work. It needs to how many nodes it is working with to be able to reverse and have the right channels.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2013, »
Also I have looked at the code for programming and it is still working the same. When it is flashing it is programmed and will not update anything. You have to cycle power to it after swapping the jumper before it will go back to working. You can move the jumper before or after you remove power but it must be removed before you power it back up.

Check this all out for me and let me know as It seems to be working here.

RJ

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2013, »
ok color me stupid.  I picked a string from my unused stash that was labeled 50, but decided to count the lit nodes versus my previous  count of the unlit nodes.  Turns out I can't count and that the string marked 50 is actually 62 nodes.  Probably explains why I could not find the 62 count string I needed for a section of gutter line last November.  All tests work exactly has would be expected both in forward and reverse.  I even used a chase and sat and watched 186 channels light up one at a time in both forward and reverse.  The flexstrips have always worked it was just the nodes that were not working as I thought they should.  I guess we need another rule about "do not assume what is written is correct"  or "count twice, program once".  LOL.  Let's get a coop started.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: April 14, 2013, »
Like Jim, color me stupid also.  <fp.

It took RJ a blink of the eye to figure out why my SSC v4 was working right. I was justing an older version of the Smart String Utility.

I got the latest version and now it is working perfectly. I see no problem running a coop for it

Rick R.

btw: I will be updating the wiki with the latest version of the SSU
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
New SSC
« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2013, »

It took RJ a blink of the eye to figure out why my SSC v4 was working right. I was justing an older version of the Smart String Utility.

I got the latest version and now it is working perfectly. I see no problem running a coop for it

Rick R.

Does the new one work with v1 and v2?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2013, »
No it was the one with the additional features put out for the SSC mod version 3. I do not believe the V1 and V2 firmware support the new format unless I am confused which I could be my brain is mush from long hours programming this week.

RJ

Offline oj70chevy

« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2013, »

Rick R.

I have been following post and thank all of you for testing and all you'll do  <res.. Now I cant wait for this coop.  <;d
Thanks
Ralph

Offline rmp2917

• Coop Manager
« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2013, »
I have been able to do some more testing and everything is working fine.

I flashed the PIC with the test3 firmware. Then, I plug in the cat5 cable with the program jumper removed. I start the smart string utility and change the settings. I click transmit and install the program jumper. Nothing happens. If I install the program jumper before I plug in the cat5 cable, the lights will start to flash as soon as I click the transmit button. Then, I can remove the jumper and unplug the cat5 cable and everything works fine as soon as I plug it back in.

It only does this on the initial programming. After it is programmed the first time, I can plug in the SSC with the jumper removed. Then, start the smart string utility and click transmit. I can install the jumper and the lights will flash. Once I remove the jumper and reset the SSC, it works as expected.

I don't think this is an issue, but I wanted to explain my experience because at first I thought there was a problem since the initial programming was different than what I was expecting.

Everything else that I could think of to test works fine.

Rick P.

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
New SSC
« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2013, »
No it was the one with the additional features put out for the SSC mod version 3. I do not believe the V1 and V2 firmware support the new format unless I am confused which I could be my brain is mush from long hours programming this week.

RJ

That's what I thought.  I wouldn't replace the utility in the wiki I would just add a line item noting what versions it can be used on.  I'm sure I'm not the only one out there with v1 and unmodded v2 that need both versions of the tool.

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
New SSC
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2013, »
Oh and I forgot to say once I loaded the v3 test hex everything tested ok for me on nodes, flex , and squares.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2013, »
please throw the kitchen sink at it as I need to be 100% sure it is ready for prime time since we are going to be launching a coop as soon as we are sure it is ready. Does anyone have any of the nodes that people said the V3 mode did not like? I would like to know if this design improves the operation as that was the intent of going to a mosfet to insure full voltage at drive current levels. This change also helped allow me to operate at longer distances from the SSC to the first node.

RJ

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2013, »
hmm  I just got the thing working.  Ok boss will do

I will have to go through my rick pile of lights to find the trouble makers

Opps, tomorrow today is my youngest son's Birthday so it will have to be later in the night before I can test.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline zwiller

« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2013, »
With a pic reflash I am now 100%.  (pickit3 > E697)  Programming flashing is still blue but faster than was before (same speed as previous versions of programming flash)

Forward, backward, and hybrid all check out 100% for me. 

I am not sure if anyone else is dealing with this but in the programming utility the SS device type (rgb color order if I am not mistaken) the choices do not match my gear.  IE - rectangular nodes need to use flex strip for proper order, etc.  In fact, new square nodes (not modules) cannot be programmed correctly from the utility.  I think they are BGR.  I can fix in LSP but what if instead of devices type listed, there were rgb color order choices?  Maybe all 9?  Just a thought. 

Will throw more at it soon now that I got it working.  Nighty night. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2013, »
Glad to hear it!

I did it that way originally to make it easier for the users but they have produced them with the order all over the place so I guess I am ready to do this. Just do not expect it soon as I am in battle at the moment with much bigger goals items.

RJ

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2013, »
I reprogrammed some V2 to change the start address using the same utility I used with the V4.  I have not noticed any changes in using the V2.  Or are you guys talking about firmware.  It would be great if we all started talking about flashing firmware and programming start addresses so we could be sure which function we are talking about.  I think a lot of folks get confused when we talk about programming both firmware and using the SSC utility.  To my way of thinking when it comes to the PIC only RJ is doing programming.  The rest of us are just flashing his programmed firmware to our PICs.  Does that make sense?
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA