Author Topic: Zeus Intro  (Read 16257 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: Zeus Intro
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, »
I'm very excited about the Zeus, as I have been planning a RGB 1/2 megatree which will require 48 SSC(s) so this could be a be a cost saver for me.

Will these also be powered by an ATX power supplies as the SS Hubs are?  I'm sure hoping so.

The downside, of course is having to wait till July for a COOP.  But that said, I'm very thankful to have such options period.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
Zeus Intro
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, »
Count me in.... I may have to go to the academy just to get this part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, »
I put in the initial guess of $45 for the zeus board (versus the $62 for an active hub), no smart string controllers and used the cheaper ws2811 12v flex strip
$32 for 5m ws2811 vs $42 for 4m 1809.

My 20 string megatree
was $1669 using active hubs and SSC's and 1809's

it was $1234 using Zeus, no SSC's and ws2811's.

It looks to me as Zeus has now dropped just below the j1sys p12r and e682 . All 3 are  basically very close to the same price. Good job RJ, it brings the pixelnet equipment right back to the leading edge of the hardware. I  have noticed the 2811 stuff has had the steepest drop in prices over the last 6 months, not sure why.

again, thanks

sean
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline zwiller

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, »
Maybe I am losing it but I could swear rdebolt posted a response about whether the 2811 will be supported...   ;D

IIRC the 2811 will be likely supported by the the SSCv4 but have not seen a confirmation about the whether Zeus will.
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, »
I did Sam, but forgot that RJ is working on firmware for the 2811 so I deleted quickly. Just assuming that he may with Zeus as well. Your are fast man!!!!  <fp.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, »
Fast?  You posted yesterday  ;D

I am just trying hard to follow the new stuff since I think there will many changes ahead. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2013, »
Fast?  You posted yesterday  ;D

I am just trying hard to follow the new stuff since I think there will many changes ahead. 

Me too!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2013, »
For case I am planning round the battery cases everyone is using. It is cheap and effective. It can hold the Power supply.

The Zeus is just like a hub you plug the power supply into the pcb and you are done for power.

It has a pixelnet input and output so you can daisy chain.

No it is not e1.31 none of the SS stuff is.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, »
I put in the initial guess of $45 for the zeus board (versus the $62 for an active hub), no smart string controllers and used the cheaper ws2811 12v flex strip
$32 for 5m ws2811 vs $42 for 4m 1809.

My 20 string megatree
was $1669 using active hubs and SSC's and 1809's

it was $1234 using Zeus, no SSC's and ws2811's.

It looks to me as Zeus has now dropped just below the j1sys p12r and e682 . All 3 are  basically very close to the same price. Good job RJ, it brings the pixelnet equipment right back to the leading edge of the hardware. I  have noticed the 2811 stuff has had the steepest drop in prices over the last 6 months, not sure why.

again, thanks

sean

Sean thanks but I do not like to play the yours against their's game.

This is not really address to you Sean so please read it as a broadcast to everyone about my thoughts on the pricing game I have seen over the last 6 months.

The fact is the price done this way as the others have done in the past is so far off of the mark it is not funny. It is not that you or anyone is doing anything wrong. But it is like picking the cheapest car based on what the wheels cost.

The reason the megatree started being the thing they priced (and has become the standard) is simple because t is an expensive part of ot the show and what everone begins dreaming of on RGB. Done this way and no other parts of the show they would come in cheaper. Since I create complete systems and it takes me time to complete a system it was a good way to make people believe they would save lots of money using their equipment.

When you do a single megatree and add the cost of the ETD. It is going to inflate the cost. You do not buy a ETD for each megatree or controller.

Then when the hub is added it ignores the fact that you have to buy connectors to run power to their equipment and strings. The hub is just my way of injecting power cleanly and easier than having to run seperate runs and gives us the cheap hub at the same time. Most of the cost of a passive hub is the connectors.

Then on the SSC the cost used always includes the pigtail ect. Their equipment does not come with the connectors so thats over $1.50 a string benifit to the other systems. We also have a even cheaper SSC coming that cuts the cost even more.

There is no free lunch and the ETD gives me a way to take a one time hit on a costly ethernet interface so I can use cheap interfaces on the many controllers needed to build out your show in the future. It allows me to daisy chain contollers and use cheaper splitters ect. The other way of using E1.31 is great but each controller is hit with a costly ethernet interface and so it becomes cost ineffective to build small string count controllers.

Now move to the real problem. When you have all your controllers having 16 string outputs on them and you are done doing your megatrees ect you move to the rest of the show and find you have a hard time filling them without buy extended transcievers or something to extend the distance from the controller to the strings. These cost more than a SSC itself.

When a whole show is looked at and the cost of the ETD is spread out over the show the cost are not even close.

So what if we use my choice to do pricing?
I have 16 mini trees spaced at 16 feet apart in my show. how many 16 string controllers would I need?  well it sounds good as you only need one right? But since you are talking a distance of 256 feet it is easy to see it would require a number of them using some of the outputs. There is nothing else near them to use those outputs on. So maybe 4 of them at $110 and some transmitters/recievers to extend the range ???? or one of them and 14 transmitters/recievers which cost more than the SSCs to start with? Gets expensive. 

SSC cost about $7 with no pigtail to compare fairly. so 16 x 7 = $112 I can only afford one 16 channel controller for that. add the passive hub and I have about $150 plus I can put my controller permantly attached to the tree and simply unplug it and put it away at the end of the season.

If costs is the big driving force then only way to fairly look at cost is design your whole show and look at the costs over all of everything.  I try to create simple cheap DIY solutions for people to use. I am not a business where I have to compete and this is why I have said little about all of this as I have seen it. In the end it all has its place and users should us what works best for them.

RJ

Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2013, »
Thank you RJ!!

Offline johno123

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2013, »
Wow, I can't believe how excited I am about this.  This is going to be a perfect addition for my new SS tree.  I assume there is going to be a whole group of folks like me who have enhanced their shows where so much else is already converted to SS, except their mega trees.   >.d9

Offline keitha43

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, »
If the Zeus controller combines an active hub with ssc's wouldn't that make the current active hub obsolete? Or are there shorter limitations on cat5 runs to the smartstrings or some other reason to keep selling separate active hub/ssc combos? Especially given the lower cost estimate of the Zeus controller. Also if the ssc is incorporated into the Zeus controller does that mean each port would be assigned a certain channel range so if something happens to a port you just can't move the smartstring to another empty port without reconfiguring the board?

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Zeus Intro
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, »
I think 10' ? Limit makes the Zeus only well suited for high density rgb like a megatree or matrix where all strings are in close proximity.

Overall the active hub and sscs are much more flexible / versatile and have something like 100' range.   You also have the ability to swap out easily if needed    If you had a few Zeus boards and then eliminated your rgb megatree you'd have more limited uses for them, IMHO .
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline keitha43

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, »
I was thinking about that length also assuming it would be closer to the v4 ssc's than the v1-v3 versions. I just hadn't seen any mention of the cat5 length. It would free up 12 ssc's and a hub for me to be used elsewhere.

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2013, »
What will the board Zeus dimensions be?
What you don't know. Can hurt you.