Author Topic: Anyone adding strain relief to your LE Enclosure?  (Read 5448 times)

Offline memphislights

I am used to the LOR equipment and having strain relief.
I was at Lowes and priced out parts.

Aluminum angle stock
8' gets you 12x 8" pieces
2" , 1/16" thick for $18.97
1.5", 1/16" thick for 14.97 or 15.97?

# cords     NM/SE Connector Size     Single Unit Cost     Bulk Cost/Quantity
16 SPT-2   1"                                  $1.44                      N/A
11 SPT-2   3/4"                                  .87                    $.46/50
6   SPT-2   3/8"                                  .38                      .26/100

8 18AWG   1"                                   1.44                      N/A
4 18AWG   3/4"                                  .87                      .46/50
2 18AWG   1/2"                                  .38                      .26/100

2 16AWG   1/2"                                  .38                      .26/100         

So, for SPT-2 output cords, and 2x 16AWG input cords
Aluminum Angle 2"    $1.60
1" NM/SE                    1.44
1/2" NM/SE                   .38
                                --------
Total                           3.42 

So, for 18AWG output cords, and 2x 16AWG input cords
Aluminum Angle 2"    $1.60
1" NM/SE                2x 1.44
1/2" NM/SE                   .38
                                --------
Total                          4.86 

If anyone is interested, I'll try and post some pics after I get one cut and drilled.
It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Anyone adding strain relief to your LE Enclosure?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, »
I have found that while not near as fancy, if you run the cords through the foam and then leaving 1 1/2 inch slack so the cords make a s turn a little to the pcb you can take the bundle of four cords coming out of a hole and tie wrap them using the really big tie wraps against the foam rubber. Now it is not going to keep you form pulling them out if you were wanting to but a little trip on the wires in the yard will not put the strain on the pcb. What you are doing is more secure.  But they are tight enough in there with that to make me comfortable.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline memphislights

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, »
I should have my cases tomorrow, but I'll ask now.

I am paranoid, so I like the extra protection.

If I do not go with the angle bracket, is the case pretty rigid at the bottom?  If it is rigid enough, I would still want to use the NM/SE connector.  I could probably us a piece of straight aluminum to reinforce the bottom though.

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, »
I didn't use any reinforcement last year and had no issues.

Ron

Offline Greg

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, »
Last year I just used cable ties inside the case.

Between each exit hole there is a plastic finger inside the case. I just pulled a little slack in the wires entering the enclosure and using a pair of 4" ties (interlocking/intertwined them, one around the plastic finger the other around the group of wires entering a given hole) cinched them up to the finger nearest.  On the left most side where I brought in the source power cords I drilled a convenient sized hole in the plastic fin (bigger than the fingers on the other side) to loop the tie through and tied the source cords in a similar fashion with interlocked 4" cable ties.

Clear as mud?  Worked great for me and I plan on doing the same with my new LEs this year.

Greg
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, »
The cases are rigid but not as much as aluminum as you might imagine. I'm curious,... I have used RJ's method in the past but not being used to LOR, perhaps a picture would help me to understand what kind of strain relief you're used to.

Thanks

Leon
Leon

Offline Blackbeard

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, »
What the heck is LOR?

steve

Offline Sloanhaus

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, »
LOR is for people that dont want to do it yourself, the kits come prebuilt and are extremely expensive. But basically the same thing as what we are using accept it doesnt allow light normalization.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What the heck is LOR?

steve

I think it stands for "Lights On Rich" or was it "Loaded Obviously Required"

Just Kidding

Its Lights O Rama

Basically a guy that design some boards at home and then was building and selling them from his home. Then later he created a company to sell them.

Well I think that is how it happened.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline memphislights

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, »
On the left-hand side of the picture, you'll see the strain relief.  It is pretty strong, and no chance of accidentally pulling a cord out .  You have to be pretty deliberate.  We usually carrying the enclosures by the cords.

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, »
Wow, I haven't noticed a need but you never can tell what can happen if someone were to trip. Here's a copy of a beta testing video for the Freestyle. It is the enclosure in question. You can see that with the foam insert it is weatherproof and  although there is no strain relief such as in your picture, there is room enough to add what you desire. :)

Leon

Leon

Offline memphislights

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, »
I got my cases today, and I decided to put them together and use cable ties to "lock" the cords in place as others have suggested.  It was alot sturdier that I thought it would be.  So, for now, I have dropped the idea of needing the additional strain relief.

Offline Sloanhaus

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, »
You guys dont have that much extension cord for someone to trip over do you?  ::)

Offline memphislights

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, »
Like alot of things, I changed my mind.

I went on and drilled a case for 2x 1" NM/SE connectors.  I just drilled the bottom of the case, and I think that it is rigid enough for what I need.  I just wanted to post a couple of pictures of it.  I am planning to use 16x of the iofast female cords instead of the SPT-2 extension cords for the cases that I am building.

The picture doesn't show a 1/2" NM/SE connector that I will be adding for the 2x 16AWG power cords.

The only thing that I am going to change for the rest of the cases is that I am going to drill the 1" holes more towards the left/right sides of the cases and drill the input  1/2" hole in the middle.

Right now the case is empty, but I swung it around by the cords a few times, and it felt nice and strong.

Offline cBell

• Christmas in Brewster
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, »
Like alot of things, I changed my mind.

I went on and drilled a case for 2x 1" NM/SE connectors.  I just drilled the bottom of the case, and I think that it is rigid enough for what I need.  I just wanted to post a couple of pictures of it.  I am planning to use 16x of the iofast female cords instead of the SPT-2 extension cords for the cases that I am building.

The picture doesn't show a 1/2" NM/SE connector that I will be adding for the 2x 16AWG power cords.

The only thing that I am going to change for the rest of the cases is that I am going to drill the 1" holes more towards the left/right sides of the cases and drill the input  1/2" hole in the middle.

Right now the case is empty, but I swung it around by the cords a few times, and it felt nice and strong.

The connectors look good.  Should be good and strong!  I went with the wire tie as a strain relief route.

-Chris
Follow my journey: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login