Author Topic: Firmware  (Read 5112 times)

Offline TexasStingray

Firmware
« on: March 16, 2013, »
Version B2 of the Panther DMX Player is now available. Freatures include the use of a control file "CONTROL.TXT". The control file is a comma delimited file.
Meanings & Values of the Control file are as follows:

StartupDelay, values are in milliseconds. Acceptable value are from 0 to 4294967295. 1 second would be 1000, 10 seconds would be 10000, and so on.
RepeatCnt, value is the number of time to actually run thru the show. Acceptable values are from 0 (infinite) to 4294967295.
RepeatDelay, values are in milliseconds. Acceptable value are from 0 to 4294967295. 1 second would be 1000, 10 seconds would be 10000, and so on.
SequenceDelay, values are in milliseconds. This is the time to wait before playing the next sequence. Acceptable value are from 0 to 4294967295. 1 second would be 1000, 10 seconds would be 10000, and so on.

example of CONTROL.TXT for 10 second startup delay, repeat count of 3, repeat delay of 1 minute, and a sequence delay of 5 seconds would look like this;

Show File "SHOW.TXT" Reserved Word Usage:
   Reserverd Words & Meanings

--STOP--, When the Panther DMX Player reaches this word in the show file the the show will stop playing.

NOTES: During any delays or stops the DMX Signal will stop being sent. What that means is that on equipment that has a DMX Signal indicator like the Lynx Express the indicator (LED) will not show a signal being received.

Download Links for firmware

Panther DMX Player B2: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Panther DMX Player B1: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I used an USBASP programmer that I picked up off ebay to program program the reprogram the chip in a standalone configuration of a arduino. I sure that you can use an Arduino to upload the new sketch (hex) file, but I have not done that.

The command I used to program it was: avrdude -c usbasp -p m328p -u -U flash:w:PantherDMXPlayerB2.hex

In the next release of the Panther I will provide a ISP header.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, by TexasStingray »
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline wjgiles50

Re: Firmware
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, »
Quick question.  "RepeatCnt"  if set to 1 will the sequence files be run one time and then the Panther will stop?  example 0,1,0,0, which would cause the player to run the sequences one time and stop?

Offline TexasStingray

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, »
YES, exactly
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline TexasStingray

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, »
Burning the latest release of the Firmware with an arduino UNO i used the following command.

C:\arduino-1.0.2\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avrdude -CC:\arduino-1.0.2\hardware\tools\avr\etc\avrdude.conf -patmega328p -carduino -P\\.\COM5 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Temp\PantherDMXPlayerB2.hex:i

You'll have to substitute your values for; arduino-1.0.2, COM5, and C:\Temp.

Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline wjgiles50

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, »
Has anyone loaded the new firmware yet?  I seem to be hitting a wall with my computer. 

Offline TexasStingray

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, »
Has anyone loaded the new firmware yet?  I seem to be hitting a wall with my computer.

What kinda of issue are you having. I'll be traveling this afternoon but maybe we could get this resolved tonight.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline TexasStingray

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, »
Working on B3: It will add 5 trigger pins that will:

1. Interrupt the current sequence.
2. Play the associated sequence.
3. Continue with the next sequence in the SHOW.TEXT file.

Sequence Names must be:
     TRIGGER1.SEQ
     TRIGGER2.SEQ
     TRIGGER3.SEQ
     TRIGGER4.SEQ
     TRIGGER5,SEQ
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, »
Still waiting for my programming dongle to arrive from China.

Version B2 is working "out in the shop" non-stop. As long as you keep the file name length correct and be sure to have the correct number of carriage returns in the SHOW file (oops), it is solid.

I look forward to B3 and triggers.

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, »
Anyone have any step-bystep instructiosn with an arduino (just got one for Christmas so I am a total noob). :)

I see the command in here, but is it as simple as taking the chip that is on the arduino out and putting the one from the panther in?
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline TexasStingray

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, »
is it an UNO and what com port does the PC report it using?
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, »
It is an UNO...have not connected it yet.
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline TexasStingray

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, »
Dan,

THESE INSTRUCTION ARE IF YOU ARE USING AN ARDUINO FOR UPLOADING A NEW FIRMWARE, you do not do these if you have a USBASP Programmer.

The ATMEL329PU-P Chip may not have the Arduino Bootloader Loaded. What I would do first is load the arduino software on the computer. I use version 1.0.2. Then plug the arduino UNO. From the menu select TOOLS >> SERIAL PORT and select the correct comport. Then open the example blink sketch from the menu select FILE >> EXAMPLES >> 01.BASICS >> BLINK. Then enable some verbose debugging for upload so you can see the actual command used to upload the sketch FILE >> PREFERENCES then check show verbose output during upload. Then click on the upload tool icon. when I do this the upload command looks like this where my arduino is on com port 5.

avrdude -CC:\arduino-1.0.2\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega328p -carduino -P\\.\COM5 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\SCOTTW~1\AppData\Local\Temp\build9203390013273991049.tmp\Blink.cpp.hex:i

So from there I open a command windows. I navigate to folder where I have the PantherDMXPlayerB2.hex file. Then I issue the following command:

C:\PantherDMXPlayerTools>avrdude.exe -V -F  -p m328p -carduino -P COM5 -U flash:w:PantherDMXPLayerB2.hex -vvvv

You'll want to pull the chip out of the Panther and us that one when you issue the above command.

If the chip does not have the BOOTLOADER installed you'll need to load it. I followed these instructions.

Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, »
The chip from the panther fails saying it is out of sync....When I try it with the chip that comes with the UNO (assuming they are the same) it does a lot, says verifying and that is successful, but when I put that chip in the panther still no green led.
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline TexasStingray

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, »
Lets not worry about reflashing it for now, it should be fine with the firmware I loaded on it which was B2 version.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, »
Yea....I was more concerned that it might have lost it's programming in shipping and that might be my problem....just pursuing as many angles as I can. :)
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced