Author Topic: Anyone more creative then me?  (Read 4909 times)

Offline drlucas

Anyone more creative then me?
« on: March 17, 2013, »
Hi everyone!

So far I'm setup with a functional lynx express and dmx dongle. I have two more LEs coming from the COOP, but struggling with some next steps. I have enough now to get into some sequencing and I thought about downloading a few examples from land o lights to get me started in understanding what is in the art of possible for a 16, 32 or 48 channel setup.

The issues with the sequences that i've seen so far, they are in the 100s for channels. WAY too much for me on day one. So, for this year I need some help. I have attached a photo of the front of the house. Property is about 40' wide and I have about 30' depth from sidewalk to where the bay window is. There is a monster pine tree that's about 30' feet high and I thought about stringing lights in that and making it a mega tree....but I don't own a cherry picker and can't get up to the top with my 18' extension ladder. SO, i think that tree is out of the picture for lighting up (maybe some floods to it, but that's it).

Recent years i've been really lame with the lights and just string some cheap LEDs that flip between red and green across the top eaves of the house at the front.

I was thinking of doing something like getting the singing coro trees and attach them to the front of the garage and use 32 channels for that and then maybe outline the roof  and the three upper windows (4 channels), put a few candy canes (4 channels) in lawn and maybe an  arch (8 channels).

That will be a wild improvement to any previous years i've ever done and still a fair bit of work/a good challenge/lots of fun  for me given i have two kids (running off to dance and soccer)  that take up a fair bit of time and the day job.

Can someone have  a peak at the house and perhaps give some other suggestions for someone just starting up (and not that creative!).

thanks!
Ryan
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, by drlucas »
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline scharbon

Re: Anyone more creative then me?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, »
Your biggest problem is that your house is upside down.  I am fairly certain there are some good contractors in your area that can turn it over, but I would focus on getting the house turned over first before I invested anytime in sequencing.  On the bright side, it would be easier to put lights on your roof line now before you turned your house over.

Steve

Offline drlucas

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, »
I'm going to deal with the tree the same way....won't need a cherry picker anymore!!

-Ryan Lucas-

Offline caretaker

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, »
Well just taking a quick look at your picture here are a few suggestions:
1. Under the eves (single color or sets of single color) would also be a good choice for RGB pixel strings later.
2. Around garage door
3. Large wreath, snowflake, etc above garage door.
4. Around windows, like the eves single color or sets of single color.
5. Icicle lights from gutters
6. With that nice tree you could use 16 or more channels right there.
7. colored floods to wash the house (Ather II's would be a great choice but just PAR38 colored floods would work too.)
You should be getting the idea now.  Try printing out a picture of your house and drawing on it where you would like to put lights, that often helps.

Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline drlucas

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, »
thanks!!

I'll go back to that coop vote and add the aethers to my list of coops i'll participate in :)
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, »
Your biggest problem is that your house is upside down.  I am fairly certain there are some good contractors in your area that can turn it over, but I would focus on getting the house turned over first before I invested anytime in sequencing.  On the bright side, it would be easier to put lights on your roof line now before you turned your house over.

Steve

I am sooo sick right now, and that made me crack up!

To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline kernal

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, »

Steve

I am sooo sick right now, and that made me crack up!

+1!!!!!!!!!!      <la..
My license plate says blinky.