Author Topic: Please help me with xlights setup  (Read 9068 times)

Offline thebaronn

Re: Please help me with xlights setup
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, »
Okay! I finally was able to get LightElf to export the file successfully (it was throwing a memory error! luckily that was old hat!)

I tried using xlights to convert a LOR sequence to xseq and I used LightElf to convert the same sequence from LSP to xseq....

Both had terrible results.....

First! The network setup: This happens with both output files from each sequencer. My firefli will not recognize the xlights setup test page. Everything else on the LOR COM3 network looks great! And actually runs perfectly! But no firefli..... The E1.31 numbers are perfect. I went through I shimmered the first pixel in each DMX universe and each of them lit up appropriately.

second: When I use the xlights convert tab to change over a LOR sequence to xseq, I received a lot off errors. 2/3s of my DMX channel unmapped. What can I do to correct that? The E1.31 were off by a color. Green was blue....

Third: when I used LightElf to convert the same sequence (but in LSP form) it created a HUGE log file. And all the DMX channels were off..

forth: I have no clue what to do now.

Thank you for your help.
Eric

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
Please help me with xlights setup
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, »
Can you post your xlights net config?

Also, can you explain how you are doing channel numbering in LSP.

I noticed you are using zones in LSP and I need to know why?  Are all your controllers running over e1.31?

Frank

Offline thebaronn

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, »
I am not at home, but here is an old network config picture. The only difference is that the LOR Com was moved to the first postion after rdebolt mentioned to switch it around.

Here is a picture of the channel config in LSP. Is this my problem? Should I go through and change all LOR controllers?
In LSP (for this sequence) I use 2 zones. A LOR Com3 szone for all my LOR controllers and an E1.31 zone for the 5 E682 noards.

Are my firefli compatible with xlights? Cause they are the only thing that doesn't work on the testing tab.
But maybe if I re-number everything we will be okay.

Thank you
Eric

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, »
Eric in LSP you will have to use zones to use different protocols ie lor and e131. What protocol are you driving your fireflis with? They will run with xlights we just need to get you network configured now and i am not the expert in this as I am all e131 and have never used LOR with Xlights.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, by rdebolt »

Offline thebaronn

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2013, »
My firefli are run in Legacy mode on the LOR network.

I still cannot get the test tab in xlights to turn them on.

Does the firefli controller number matter at all? The number is way up there compared to my other controllers.

Thank you
Eric

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, »
Not familiar with "Legacy" mode, but I would think that the controller number would matter. I just don't know how to help you here. We need some better experts than me to chime in!

Offline thebaronn

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2013, »
:egacy mode were the original settings for the firefli so LOR could handle them. Each firefli has 3 sequential controller numbers with 16 channels on each(Red, Green Bleue). If xlights doesnt like it then I guess it is time to update (LSP doesn't like them either). D-Light isn't exactly in the game anymore...

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2013, »
I think some people are using them, I just am not myself. I know this does not help....sorry... but I was hoping that others would reply. This is a really slow time of year here so responses can be pretty slow. My set up is pretty simple all e1.31. I would think that Firefli would be using some universal protocol, just figuring out what it is. Maybe ask over in the LOR forum.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, »
I have Firefli controllers and strings, but have converted them all to the Open/DMX protocol.

I used to use xLights to test them in Legacy mode but that was many xLight revisions ago.

In the new version (3.0.3) it still appears to be supported, though.
In the Add USB popup for USB Setup, D-Light is a choice. You must have a D-Light RS485 dongle connected and visible to xLights.

Offline thebaronn

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2013, »
OMG!!! Did I read that correctly? So xlights will not see/control the firefli on a regular LOR dongle? So I would have to add the firefli as their own network and use the d-light dongle? yikes!

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2013, »
Sorry, it should control just fine. But, you might have trouble with configuring the Firefli without the Dlight config software and dongle. Once setup, it will accept LOR commands.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, by JonB256 »

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have Firefli controllers and strings, but have converted them all to the Open/DMX protocol.

You must have a D-Light RS485 dongle connected and visible to xLights.

Jon if they are in Open dmx format why would you need a Dlight dongle. Would not any dmx open dongle drive them. I don't have any just asking.

Offline thebaronn

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2013, »
So right now with my firefli in legacy mode (controllers 17, 18 & 19) on the LOR network xlights should control them, correct?

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2013, »

You must have a D-Light RS485 dongle connected and visible to xLights.

Jon if they are in Open dmx format why would you need a Dlight dongle. Would not any dmx open dongle drive them. I don't have any just asking.

Since there aren't many people on this forum using the Open Firefli in DMX mode, I didn't get very specific.
The Firefli controller, in DMX mode, accepts DMX commands from any DMX dongle.

BUT, it is configured using a tool we (on the D-Light forum) call Dewey-Config. It was written by "Dewey"

Dewey-Config was written to find a single D-Light V3 USB Dongle. If there are other dongles, it gets confused.
Once configured (start channel, Unit ID, linearity adjustment, grouping), you won't need that dongle again.
While I suppose "Dewey" could re-write it to be more universal, nobody has pressured him since we all have D-Light dongles from initial purchase.

I use 5 Firefli strings on 5 PVC arches, run by 2 controllers. One controller has 3 strings (48 pixels), the other has 2 strings (32 pixels). Once controller can handle 5 end to end strings, but you must configure it first so that it knows. That limit is a controller Power limit more than a software limit. They are getting rather old now but still work reliably. Just for old-times-sake, I'll probably use them until they die a natural death.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2013, »

Since there aren't many people on this forum using the Open Firefli in DMX mode, I didn't get very specific.
The Firefli controller, in DMX mode, accepts DMX commands from any DMX dongle.

BUT, it is configured using a tool we (on the D-Light forum) call Dewey-Config. It was written by "Dewey"

Dewey-Config was written to find a single D-Light V3 USB Dongle. If there are other dongles, it gets confused.
Once configured (start channel, Unit ID, linearity adjustment, grouping), you won't need that dongle again.
While I suppose "Dewey" could re-write it to be more universal, nobody has pressured him since we all have D-Light dongles from initial purchase.

I use 5 Firefli strings on 5 PVC arches, run by 2 controllers. One controller has 3 strings (48 pixels), the other has 2 strings (32 pixels). Once controller can handle 5 end to end strings, but you must configure it first so that it knows. That limit is a controller Power limit more than a software limit. They are getting rather old now but still work reliably. Just for old-times-sake, I'll probably use them until they die a natural death.

Thanks Jon That makes sense now just did not know that you are using the Dongle to program the Firefli (as I said I don't own any).

RD