Author Topic: Programming Etherdongle Pickit3 help  (Read 5803 times)

Offline Orion

Programming Etherdongle Pickit3 help
« on: March 24, 2013, »
I am having problems programming my etherdongle firmware.  I have the pickit3 connected to board and PC (arrows are correct).  I open pickit 3 program and program recognizes the pickit3.  I import DMX firmware.  I find the correct chip from drop down menu.  I hit erase and I get operation failed.  I can't seem to do anything.  Please help.  I will include and image of the program error.

Offline keitha43

Re: Programming Etherdongle Pickit3 help
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, »
How about checking target power on? I don't remember if I also had the power supply plugged in to the etherdongle at the time so you might try that too.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, »
I would check the power as Keith said, but also would not worry about erasing. Just select write and see what you get.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, »
I also do an erase just to verify the software is working. In my case I didn't get a checksum when programming the etherdongle. I had to watch the large box to see value changes so I knew it worked correctly.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, »
No check sum does come up with the 512 chip. I think it has to do with the PicKit3 software.

Offline Orion

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, »
still having the same issue.  Do i need the dongle powered up with the transformer?

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, »
No the pic should program in stand alone. Make sure that you have the white arrow on the pickit3 lined up  with the #1 pin on the header pins.

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, »
Orion, have you used the ED before? What's happens when you apply voltage via the power jack? If you have not used it before, please post some good quality high res pictures!
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Orion

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, »
i am only using the quick ap to program with the pickit from the wiki.  Do i need the whole programmer software(where to get full version.  my software CD does not install on my PC).  I will go over all component placement tonight.  My DW works for a electronic assembly firm and I had her look at all of my solder joints and got the ok.  I also worked for the same company for 8 years as a technician.  I am familiar with solder defects too.  I have a little extra solder on some joints but that shouldn't affect the board functionality. 

Offline caretaker

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, »
Orion I noticed when you posted the screen shot from your PicKit 3 software you did not have the check mark next to "Target Power" checked. Try checking that and then try writing the hex file to the PIC. 
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Orion

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, »
Ok i tried the target power also with no luck.  I have a new pickit 3.  Do I have to do any updates on it?

Offline Kasey911

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, »
Just to confirm, did you load the PICkit operating system to your PICkit 3?  This is done from the Tools menu, I believe.  Not sure if this was done or not, just thought I'd throw it out there just in case.
~Kasey~

Offline Orion

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, »
What OS would I have to download and where could I find it?

Offline Kasey911

Programming Etherdongle Pickit3 help
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, »
It is part of the PICkit utility. Connect your PICkit 3, go to the tools menu and select download OS.
~Kasey~

Offline Orion

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, »
my issue now is where are the operating systems located?  I go to load a OS and the directory is my desk top.  Do i need to download one or are they located in a program file?  Thank everyone again for all your help.  I'm sure we will be able to solve the issue together.