Author Topic: Mounting smart string arches?  (Read 3322 times)

Offline crazybob

Mounting smart string arches?
« on: March 29, 2013, »
Someone on here posted a video way back when of flex strips INSIDE of this walled PVC for an arch. It looked great- light was well diffused and very bright. I want to do the same thing this year, but here's my dilemma.
I, like many people, simply pound rebar into the ground and slide my PVC arch end over it. It has worked great for 4 years now, because there is nothing inside the PVC. Obviously, the rebar would easily damage the flex strip if you mounted the smart string arch the same way.
Is anyone here using this method? If so, how do you mount the arches? I like the looks of the flex strip inside of the PVC much more than just zip-tied on the outside, so I hope someone here knows something I don't!

Offline kselswick

Re: Mounting smart string arches?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, »
How about some bigger pipe that the PVC can slide into..

Offline gforman

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, »
I used a Tee with 8" of pvc with end caps one of the 4 has the controller inside, then anchored the ends with stakes, worked great for me.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"
  Thomas Edison

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, »
You could also use a small string or piece of paracord hooked to the two arch ends to help keep the arch in shape.  My current arches, which I also intend to replace, are freestanding using a PVC base.  I've not had any problems with wind or movement of them.  The first year I used something called a lawn stake which kind of looks like a small U pushed into the ground over the right angle pieces, but have not done that the last two years.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline keitha43

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've not had any problems with wind or movement of them.  The first year I used something called a lawn stake which kind of looks like a small U pushed into the ground over the right angle pieces, but have not done that the last two years.
You must not live in Oklahoma  ;D

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, »
Check out my video under the Happy Easter posting on the porch.

I'll take video of how we get them to stand in the yard.  We use landscaping stakes to hold them in place, but no pounding of rebar.  Our design actually allows you to get them "plumb".
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline crazybob

Mounting smart string arches?
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, »
More pics or a video would definately be helpful. For some reason im having a hard time visualizing your setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, »
How about sistering a second piece next to the foot and have the rebard go into that instead.  That way you eliminate any potential for shorts and breaks!
- Mark

Offline travailen

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, »
This is my arches. There are two strings in each one. An inner and an out string. They are held in tension by green strapping material. They are tie wrapped to rebar to keep them vertical.

You can see the arches working in my 2012 show at the URL below. I was using old DMX code from last year for them so they were running as 8 section single color arches.
Just as a note, the candy canes are from Walmart. The incans were removed and replaced with 12 nodes each.

Rick S

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, »
Here's my new setup for my arches this year.

1/2 PVC and then 3/4 inch PEX with the flex strip inside.  I just then zip tie the ssc to the top of the arch on the backside.

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, »
This is my arches.
Rick S

Rick,

Where do you get the clear PVC?

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline travailen

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, »
This is my arches.
Rick S

Rick,

Where do you get the clear PVC?

-Paul

I live in Houston, Texas. I bought the tubing from Ryan-Herco. The brand name on the tubing is Harvel. It is labeled Clear 3/4" Sch 40 P NSF-61. I paid $22 per 10 Ft piece, which, for me, is one arch. The tubing is not cheap. But, for me, I am totally happy with the results.

Rick S

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, »
Just as a thought, couldn't you attach a T to each end, a small piece of schedule-40 and another T to create like an H shape that would attach to your arch and the other side would slide over the rebar? (for those that want to keep with the single piece with the strip inside)
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, »
My Dad welded a couple pieces of rebar to a small piece of pipe ... which then fits over a standard t-post.

He also drilled a hole in the pipe and threaded it with a 3/8" thread ... so we adjust the pipe to the height desired on the t-post and then tighten it down.

Then the rebar ensures a perfect angle when inserted into a piece of 1/2" EMT conduit, the $1.25 per 10' variety.  We than z tie the flex strip to the bottom of the EMT with zip ties.  They are plenty bright and look great.

Heres my $.02 on the clear PVC -- its a great solution, but where else in your display are you diffusing your RGB?  To me, its not worth diffusing the arches when nothing else is diffused. 
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline travailen

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, »

Heres my $.02 on the clear PVC -- its a great solution, but where else in your display are you diffusing your RGB?  To me, its not worth diffusing the arches when nothing else is diffused.

The arches are totally light. They are easy to store and the only additional material required to set one up in the yard is 4 ty wraps and two pieces of rebar. To store them I left them strung and hung them on a hook on the garage wall.
Besides having the two flex strips inside each arch, I pulled the incans out of 32 Walmart candy canes and put 11 RGB nodes inside each one. Strung them end to end using Ray's water proof connectors and run the whole thing on 4 ports of a hub.
This year, I am putting uncovered flex strips into 1/2in clear PVC to make a bunch of snow fall icicles. Each one is 33" long. If all goes well I will bring them to the Academy.

Rick S