Author Topic: Learn to Solder  (Read 3674 times)

Offline drlucas

Learn to Solder
« on: May 26, 2013, »
I'm fortunate enough to at work have access to Safari online books...and normally I just use the library for figuring out how to program in xcode, but just before I was going to build my LEs I did a quick search and happened across an O'Reilly book called Learn to Solder.  It's only 54 pages in length so only takes about an hour or so to get through. Anyways, I recommend that anyone who is new to soldering like I am hunt down the book before they get to task.

Below is the overview of the book. It's nothing really special, short and sweet...but gave me enough confidence to get to task.

----
cheers!
ryan
----

Learn the fundamentals of soldering—and pick up an essential skill for building electronic gadgets. You’ll discover how to preheat and tin your iron, make a good solder joint, desolder cleanly (when things don't quite go right), and how to use helping hands to hold components in place.

This concise book is part of MAKE’s Getting Started with Soldering Kit. Using the tools in the kit and some electronic components, you can practice soldering while making fun blinky objects. Then show the world you just learned a new skill by wearing the Learn to Solder Skill Badge.

Learn how to prepare your workspace
Get to know the components you’ll work with
Use the best methods for soldering components in place
Experience the perfect solder joint
Know how to desolder when things don’t work the first time
Heat up the iron and start soldering today!
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -