Author Topic: Mounting of Ribbon lights and controllers  (Read 6716 times)

Offline kiplorenzo

So here is a quick one.... I know some of you buy the ribbon led lights. What do you use to mount them to the house? Also does anyone also re-enclose them into flexible tubing for weather protection? I get high winds here in elizabeth and also a doozy of storms. Where do you mount your controllers (I just have the 1 LOR controller at this time?)

thanks

Kip

Offline arw01

Re: Mounting of Ribbon lights and controllers
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, »
+1 on the question, as I plan to mount the silcon led tape/strip under the eaves behind the gutters where they would be pretty protected from elements.  My hope was to find a plastic staple like they use for romex wide enough to span the whole width of the strip.  May have to add longer nails, but romex seems to be about the same dimensions visually.

Offline kiplorenzo

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, »
Arw01,
I did see mounting clips in Rays Store. however, I would think that Home Depot should have something like it.

Kip

Offline Kasey911

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, »
I've seen folks using these from Ray's store:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I've also seen the same thing on eBay. 

I hadn't thought about using the plastic romex staples...
~Kasey~

Offline FireMedic4Christ

Mounting of Ribbon lights and controllers
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, »
Steve over in lone tree mounted some in thin wall PVC to make his arches. Depending on the look you want as it make them look like neon tubes instead of individual lights.

Brian

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, »
The silcone cover on the fully waterproof Flex Strips can be a real pain. Hot Glue will NOT stick. Most other glues will not.
I tried Silicone Caulking, and it seemed to stick, but lost grip over time and released.

I got a few of those little Ray Wu clips in each foil pouch. Probably not enough, though.

On wood, you could use the 3/4" insulated staples used to attach Romex wiring. Not really a staple, but a 3/4" plastic bridge with two nails.

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, »
If the strips are cut, how a folks sealing the ends to ensure waterproofing?

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, »
I've never thought of mounting flexstrips to the house.  It may be better to use flood lights (unless you already have specific ideas in mind.)  I personally think that would add a lot of channels (unless you used dumbstrips) and make sequencing more taxing.

You're in Elizabeth... if you'd like to see the arch sometime, just let me know.
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, »
If the strips are cut, how a folks sealing the ends to ensure waterproofing?

Ray Wu provided silicone end caps and a tube of sealant with my strips. At least 6 caps and enough sealant.
But, silicone caulking (clear) will usually do just fine on its own.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, »
Here is some info on my flex strip outlined house, there's some pics too. 

Happy to go into further detail or take more pics if needed.  Bottom line, make frames, use a combo of clips and silicone ADHESIVE to hold in place, wire and mount SSC to frame.  Takes minutes to put up/take down once built.  You WILL need more clips than Ray sends and TONS of tiny #4 screws for the clips which Ray does NOT provide.  Cutting, soldering, and filing with silicone and capping do take some practice and it IS nerve wracking at first but you will get the hang of it.  Also, there are some cutting and spacing requirements that need to be followed but it's not that bad once you get it.  I have plenty of scrap flex if you want to fool around with some.  All that being said, flex strip IS ULTRA COOL in person and worth the effort!
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline kiplorenzo

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, »
Zwiller,

Which Strips are you purchasing? I have been looking at these:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

they run ws2811, now my question is which controller. I saw one of the LOR guys do Icicles with the smart ribbons and they are cool!

Kip

Offline urthegman

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, »
Kip, I used 8 foot Fluorescent Tubeguard that I bought at Home Depot. It is usually used to protect fluorescent lights and comes with a cap on each end and the inch and a half pvc caps I used on the v4 Smart string controllers fit perfectly inside the end of the tube. I mounted the tubes with not sure of the name for it (picture below) thin slotted stainless steel which is sold coiled up in a roll and wrapped around the tube and slid perfectly behind my gutters. So all I had to do was fold it over the top of the gutter and I was done. Between the gutter being above it and the plastic tubing itself, it held up nicely with all the wind and rain we had here in New York. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, »
Zwiller,

Which Strips are you purchasing? I have been looking at these:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

they run ws2811, now my question is which controller. I saw one of the LOR guys do Icicles with the smart ribbons and they are cool!

Kip

Kip,
My strips are the ones from the wiki.  I am very happy with them.  I think 60/m is way overkill except for matrices.  They will probably work with the current gear V3, V4 SSC and Zeus.  You WILL need power injection and that will not be fun cutting and splicing with the silicone sheath unless it works with your matrix design.

Personally, for all but matrices I would look at Ray's 2811 5m 30led/m strips.  They are not discrete but control 3 leds sections but I think that's fine.  They're much cheaper too.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  I am likely going to group my strips into sections of 3 to drive my channel count down so I don't have to step up a license from LSP if I add stuff...  I would use these in a heartbeat if I had to do it again or add more. 

If you are into icicles, check these out: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  Probably won't be long and a 12V version will become available.  I think rgb icicles will be the next new thing and we'll probably see more new stuff soon...
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline arw01

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, »
I used the 12v ws2811 for all of the house outline and it worked out just fine.  you get higher density than standard 4" spaced nodes even thought it's three pixels per "channel".  in a 10' piece of pex used as arches there are 31 nodes.  In 40 feet of pex it worked out to 124-128 (i always lost patience in counting them, but I think it was 128).  Plenty bright.

I need power injection on the 41' from both ends on white, or near white, other colors I don't notice a difference.

I'm considering the INK1003 after someone else tests them  ;P

Alan