Author Topic: New Mountable C9's From Ray  (Read 18655 times)

Offline sittinguphigh

Re: New Mountable C9's From Ray
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2013, »
Great test them good.
Let us know.

Thanks
What you don't know. Can hurt you.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I got an email today from Zachary Stoltenberg (the creator of these). He is bringing a couple of sample strands to the Ultimate Academy. I am assuming he is talking about the Academy talked about on this site. Ray will be the vendor for these. But Zachary may do a group buy in August for the price he is able to purchase direct. I sent a payment via paypal for a 5 node sample set but as he only has 20 sample sets I can only hope I was one of the first to order. I hope to find out if the ws2811 will work with my v3 SSC's. And see the various lens covers. Guess I will find out in a couple of weeks.

One note about Zach's group buy in August is that it will be 8" spacing only for that buy. If you want different spacing you will need to order them from Ray. I too have a test set ordered.

Offline curtbl

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2013, »
Did these nodes show up at the academy?  And if so have you tested and gotten any results?  They look promising for mounting and lens options.
THanks
C

Offline keitha43

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2013, »
I didn't get to go to the Academy and my sample strings I ordered for testing have not arrived yet.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2013, »
Did these nodes show up at the academy?  And if so have you tested and gotten any results?  They look promising for mounting and lens options.
THanks
C
The lights WERE at the academy.  The designer showed them off and each issue I had with the old pixels was address with these new ones.
David at HolidayCoro was selling them and had plenty in his booth.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline keitha43

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2013, »
Interesting. I thought only Ray was going to be the source.

Offline ronniek

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2013, »
I talked to David at the show and he told me his lights did not work with RJ's controllers.

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2013, »
I talked to David at the show and he told me his lights did not work with RJ's controllers.
I don't think David had tested WS2811 strings against RJ's controllers yet.  The long-held understanding was RJ only supported TM18xx chips. 
Now, it turns out WS2811 just happens to work -- and I believe RJ plans to officially support them going forward.
So, I think David was just working with dated information, or waiting for someone to officially test them and have RJ officially make the call.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2013, »
Interesting. I thought only Ray was going to be the source.
I spoke with the designer while attending the Academy.  He told me that he offered the design to various manufacturers for free -- he wanted to see the price of these lights go down for everyone which happens when one manufacturer doesn't have a lock on the design.
I believe David is using yet another manufacturer -- not Ray Wu -- for his source, so that implies there are 2 or more sources for these lights in China.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2013, »
I am guessing the hold up on the sample strings is waiting on all the different cover types. At the beginning of this thread it was said Ray would also make them with TM18XX. I haven't seen then on his website yet. I am still waiting to test these WS2811 with the V3 modded SSC's as I saw some people had success last year with those chips and a couple didn't.

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2013, »
I just tested with a small sample of 2811 (rectangles, 40 nodes).  I was surprised they actually worked with my v1 ssc :)  Granted very simple test.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2013, »
I just remember a guy last year said it worked with some of his lights but not others. I don't know if it was just certain brands or light types. I would think all ws2811 would be the same if same voltage but maybe not. That is why I want to test for myself.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2013, »
WS2811 have a different format, RJ's controllers will work for some of them. Problem is there are different bit rates, just like TM1804. When playing with 2811's be aware of this as well as the voltage.

If I remember right you should look for 800k bit rate. If you must try 2811's, get a sample of what you want to use.

There is a bigger selection of 2811's and use different voltages. 5V seams to be the most popular single LED pixel, 12V 2811's usually have 3 LED's for each pixel, and 24V 2811's are large multi LED pixels.

Using different voltages gets complicated quick. This string has the first 25 pixels at 12 volt, then 1 that is 24, and now 30 that is 5 and ends with 24 at 12, there is still room on this string so I will add some of, and now I have smoke..

Best to use the links in the wiki. These are known to work.
Have Fun!

Offline keitha43

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2013, »
So are you saying you tested these and they failed with ssc's?

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2013, »
I have not tested, Just a warning when going with 2811's. Going outside the suggested pixels, get a sample. I tried some others out that didn't work.

I have 2811's that have been working fine. Just suspect I received some that were wrong speed.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, by combustionmark »
Have Fun!