Author Topic: New Mountable C9's From Ray  (Read 18649 times)

Offline dduck

Re: New Mountable C9's From Ray
« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2013, »
Forgive me if this has been answered but can anyone comment on injection requirements?
I noticed at HolidayCoro they mention that injection is required after 50 nodes.
If I use the 1804's on the 100-node string from Ray and connect with Zeus will this be an issue?

Bill

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2013, »
You need to to look at the amp draw of each node .then look at the amp output of the device you are outputting from. There is a little more to it but that will give a basic idea

Offline CW

« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2013, »
I received Technicolor ws2811 pixels and built SSC v4 and have done some preliminary testing.  They work but the RGB is not in the right order of red channel 1, green channel 2, blue channel 3.
I programed with the new utility and I used the v4 firm ware.  Depending on smart string device I programmed for, I could get the color order to change.  String = BGR, flex ribbon = GBR, rigid strip = GBR, rectangular modules = GRB, and square modules = RBG. 
I was able to get a sequence to play and that is when I noticed the color was off.  I then tested with xlights and confirmed the color order is off. I feel confident the setup is correct and I check 2 separate ws2811 strings with the same outcome.
It would be great if someone else can confirm the findings, and if these findings are validated, could the SS Utility be updated for the ws2811 nodes in the device type settings, add another button choice?
Thanks,
Craig

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I received Technicolor ws2811 pixels and built SSC v4 and have done some preliminary testing.  They work but the RGB is not in the right order of red channel 1, green channel 2, blue channel 3.
I programed with the new utility and I used the v4 firm ware.  Depending on smart string device I programmed for, I could get the color order to change.  String = BGR, flex ribbon = GBR, rigid strip = GBR, rectangular modules = GRB, and square modules = RBG. 
I was able to get a sequence to play and that is when I noticed the color was off.  I then tested with xlights and confirmed the color order is off. I feel confident the setup is correct and I check 2 separate ws2811 strings with the same outcome.
It would be great if someone else can confirm the findings, and if these findings are validated, could the SS Utility be updated for the ws2811 nodes in the device type settings, add another button choice?
Thanks,
Craig
The new utility coming out with the Zeus controllers allows for all permutations of color order.  I suspect new firmware is needed for that capability in the SSCs.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline CW

« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2013, »
Good to know. 
I like these new Technicolor pixels and am planning on using this year.

RJ, I would be happy to send you a string to test and review for changes to firmware / utility if you would like to borrow them.

Craig

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2013, »
Thanks but we are done. the firmware has been sent to microchip for the Zeus coop, so we will be ready to order the preprogrammed pics form them. The Zeus and SSC v4 are close relatives to each other. The only difference is the code to tell the difference between chips on the zeus. My point is the Firmware for the SSC v4 is basicly ready and should go out with the new utility before long.

I have run the SSC V4 on WS2811 strings already and they work fine. as you said the colr order needed was just not avaliable yet. we added all possible color orders so even future strings with odd color orders will be support.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2013, »
Thanks but we are done. the firmware has been sent to microchip for the Zeus coop, so we will be ready to order the preprogrammed pics form them. The Zeus and SSC v4 are close relatives to each other. The only difference is the code to tell the difference between chips on the zeus. My point is the Firmware for the SSC v4 is basicly ready and should go out with the new utility before long.

I have run the SSC V4 on WS2811 strings already and they work fine. as you said the colr order needed was just not avaliable yet. we added all possible color orders so even future strings with odd color orders will be support.

RJ
Is there a plan to update firmware on v1, v2, and v3 to accept the new color order?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline CW

« Reply #97 on: August 27, 2013, »

RJ

Thanks RJ. It sounds like the new utility will work with SSC V4 and Zeus.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: August 27, 2013, »
Once time permits the V3 firmware will be updated. No updates for V1 and V2. But they can be updated to V3

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Made2Rock

« Reply #99 on: September 27, 2013, »
I just received and finished checking out 25 strings from Ray Wu. They were these

and yes they were the WS2811 chip.

Out of 25 strings 1 string has a dead LED at the very end and one string had a problem and the last 1/2 of it was only green. Ray Wu suggested a new string to make the order right, to which I agreed and he quickly got it shipped out.

Also I did do some checking of the spacing and found them to be 4 1/4" to 4 1/2" from LED to LED. This is the default spacing.

NOTE: THESE WERE TESTED AGAINST THE SSCv4. I do have a SSCv1 and if I can get the time I'll build it and pass on what I find.

Born to Rock, but to old to Roll

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2013, »
I just received and finished checking out 25 strings from Ray Wu. They were these

and yes they were the WS2811 chip.

Out of 25 strings 1 string has a dead LED at the very end and one string had a problem and the last 1/2 of it was only green. Ray Wu suggested a new string to make the order right, to which I agreed and he quickly got it shipped out.

Also I did do some checking of the spacing and found them to be 4 1/4" to 4 1/2" from LED to LED. This is the default spacing.

NOTE: THESE WERE TESTED AGAINST THE SSCv4. I do have a SSCv1 and if I can get the time I'll build it and pass on what I find.

I just received some of my strings as well.  I put my findings in this thread:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I found that the 4" spacing was 4" of wire separating the nodes.  the spacing was 5" between LEDs (the extra inch was the dimension of the node.
I also had one string that was bad... I only had 3 come in so far.  The bad string was 100-pixel and worked ok for the first 19 pixels, then off for 2 more, then steady white for the remainder of the string.  I'm going to check out power injection as a possible culprit.  The 50-pixel strings had no issue.
I think from Made2Rock's observations that we can conclude:
1) there is variance in the spacing between "standard strings"
2) there are still manufacturing issues that impact string quality
3) the increased power needs are sure to cause confusion among the community.

Offline Made2Rock

« Reply #101 on: September 27, 2013, »
SORRY!!!!!

The memory is not what is should be. My measurements were 5 1/4" to 5 1/2" So we closer but not exact.

Did you catch the too old to roll part of made2rock. I think the only reason I remember something is so I have something to forget.

Joe

Born to Rock, but to old to Roll