Author Topic: looking for a 220v ac adapter  (Read 2089 times)

Offline salongaopm

looking for a 220v ac adapter
« on: May 25, 2013, »
Hi! I am looking for a 220v ac adapter for lynx wireless dmx. any recommendations?  thanks!

Offline salongaopm

Re: looking for a 220v ac adapter
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, »
I guess, I should have asked first if it is possible to use the lynx wireless dmx with a 220v.

Offline Rogelio

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, »
are you referring to a 220v wall wart?  the small transformer that plugs into a wall outlet?  Many of the switch mode power supplies (like the ones the power a laptop) can run on anything from 65 volts to 250 volts ac.

Offline wftxlites

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, »
I would take one leg of the 220VAC which is 110VAC to Ground. That is in the US. Most 220VAC is two 110V phases.
110 +110 = 220
Then you could just use 110V to what ever you are powering.

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, »
I'm guessing the original poster is not in the US; most of the rest of the world has 220V from line to ground.

The Lynx RX/TX uses an external wall-wart power supply.  The one supplied is transformer-based and will only run on 120V.  If you are in 220V-land, all you need to do is replace the wallwart with one that runs on 220V.  You need one with a center-positive 5.5mm OD/2.1mm ID barrel plug on the cable, and 300mA or more DC output.  The Triad one spec'ed is a nominal 6V DC output, but given the regulator in the TX/RX, must output at least 7.5V DC under the normal load of the TX/RX.  Something like WSU075-1000 with the appropriate adapter for the AC plug should work (but I haven't tried it myself).  Or just look around for a surplus 6V transformer-based (heavier) or 7.5V switching (lighter) one.

/mike

Offline salongaopm

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm guessing the original poster is not in the US; most of the rest of the world has 220V from line to ground.

The Lynx RX/TX uses an external wall-wart power supply.  The one supplied is transformer-based and will only run on 120V.  If you are in 220V-land, all you need to do is replace the wallwart with one that runs on 220V.  You need one with a center-positive 5.5mm OD/2.1mm ID barrel plug on the cable, and 300mA or more DC output.  The Triad one spec'ed is a nominal 6V DC output, but given the regulator in the TX/RX, must output at least 7.5V DC under the normal load of the TX/RX.  Something like WSU075-1000 with the appropriate adapter for the AC plug should work (but I haven't tried it myself).  Or just look around for a surplus 6V transformer-based (heavier) or 7.5V switching (lighter) one.

/mike

Yes, I am planning to use it outside U.S. where 220V is widely use.
So, any wallwart with 6V DC output, 300mA or more will work? Does it has to be a 4.5W ?

Thanks!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, »
The unit needs about 7 volts dc to operate. The thing about wall warts are 99% of them are unregulated. So when they say 6v (as in the case of the one I used) this is not really their output voltage. It is only the output they say you will get if the unit is 100% loaded at its rating. Under a light load as in this case you will see in the area of about 15% or more greater voltage than this. This is why I used a 6v unit. It will give you about 7 - 7.5 volts at the low load the unit works at. This keeps the losses made into heat at a lower level than say using a 8v or 9v unit which would put out more like 9 - 12v or so under light load.

The wattage rating is a calculation based on the voltage out and the amps out taking into account effeciency so you do not need to worry on it if the voltage is 6 to 9 volts DC, the current is 300ma or more and it will accept 220 input. You then need to make sure it has the right size tip and the tip is postive not the outside as mike said in the earlier pm.  Stay away from anything over 9v as this will generate higher voltages in and could over heat stuff.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline salongaopm

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, »
thanks!