Author Topic: Would these work as a "Cosmic" ribbon do it myself?  (Read 4635 times)

Offline arw01

One of my goals for the first show is to a few "cosmic ribbon" type running as some circles and leaping arches.

From my interpretation of the wiki information, reading the forums, I'm pretty safe with WS2811 type rgb using 5050.

Now specifically if I purchase this set from the RayWu store, am I compatible with the SSC as is, or have I missed something else in my research?  At 72 watts I'm figuring in my head I am under 4 amps.

I'm planning on being pretty much on pixel net, and have some concern on the note about dmx, but that might really have nothing to do with running it from an SSC wired straight.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, by arw01 »

Offline tbone321

Re: Would these work as a "Cosmic" ribbon do it myself?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, »
That link does not work so I don't know which strip you are talking about.  The real issue with using the WS8211 chips is that the SSC wass not designed with them in mind.  It appears that these chips do work with the SSC provided that they are clocked at the right frequency.  5050 LED's do pull a bit more power but even if the string exceeds the current limits. you can inject more power into the string.  I don't understand your comment on issues with DMX.  The SSC is a PixelNet device and PixelNet and DMX are different protocols and will not be on the same lines.  There is an adapter on the way that can convert a section of the PixelNet universe into a 512 DMX universe and the smart hub also has that capability but the DMX output is on a seperate output from the PixelNet ones.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, »
I do not know about the ones you have listed, but these are the ones that I understand several folks have tried and work ok.  Lots cheaper too.  They are also the ones I have ordered to use with my SSCv4 although I have not received them yet.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The problem with your link is the you did not have the link between these You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, but in front of them.  Your link works if the junk at the end is removed.

This topic also does not belong in the getting started section.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline arw01

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, »
I fixed the tags around the url.  The one I was looking at seemed to be a higher led per meter version.

Will take a look at the other one linked to, it was quite a bit less expensive. 

Offline arw01

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, »
Tried poking around this morning to understand Vixen  -- Nutcracker -- etc..

Is Vixen still around, typing download vixen doesn't really come up with a site I would trust and there doesn't seem to be a link on a couple of lighting sites I went off to looking for one!

Alan

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, »
Yes, Vixen is still around and in three versions, Vixen 2.1, Vixen+, and Vixen 3.0.  There was a Version 2.5 but the creator has decided to drop that one in favor of 3.0 which is very different from 2.1 and +.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline arw01

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, »
I found it!  dawned on me the wiki had a software section and lo and behold a page that works..

Now I understand to do the more complete RGB stuff, I should be over on Nutcracker?