Author Topic: Question about these strings  (Read 1253 times)

Offline drlucas

Question about these strings
« on: June 01, 2013, »
Good evening...(or morning/afternoon if you aren't reading this tonight)...

I'm now in search of some strings and getting some flex strips from Ray is my current plan as I want to build a (mini)Megatree and have some effects similar to the videos i have seen.  So I started doing some searching on Canada's equivalent of ebay (kijiji) and found a local guy who is selling the 5M strip of 5050s at $50.

My questions - are these strips what you would use with a DSC (vs a SSC - so they won't really help me with the megatree i have planned and do nutcracker type effects) .I think they are the same ones that Ray is selling for $22, but after shipping, duty, taxes, etc, the $50 might not be a bad deal (is $50 a decent price?). Below are the specs of the string. I won't like the website to them but will PM someone the details if it is just not obvious what the purpose of these would be for.

I think i'm getting there with the basics of this, but not quite yet.
Thanks,
Ryan

Primary Function: LED rope light or Premium Flexible Multi-Color LED Light Strip
Lamp Life: 50,000+ Hours
Waterproof: IP65
Control Type: Remote control + high end antenna IR receiver
Distribution Type: 180 degrees (nominal 130 deg beam angle)
PCB Background: white
Control Functions: 44 button functionality
Color: 20 Colors
Materials: UV protected pliable rubber
LED chips + controller
Waterproof: YES (Except power supply and IR Sensor)
Temperature Rating: -20-60 C
Dimensions: 5 meters long, 10mm x 4mm (cross section)
7.2watts per 1 meter (36watts per 5m reel)
Product Notes
Professional quality lighting product at a wholesale price
Each LED chip can produce the entire color range
Maintenance free, easy installation
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline keitha43

Re: Question about these strings
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, »
You are better off going with the links in the WIKI from Ray. They are confirmed to work with SSC's. There is not enough info on what you posted. No controller chip type, current per pixel ect. It sounds like it was designed to work with their 44 button controller. Plus you couldn't give me an IP65 strip for free. You need IP68 to be considered waterproof. The initial pixel strands were IP66 and after every rainstorm I would spend 3 days cutting and splicing replacements and had 2 pixels catch fire and burn the strand in two. Now the pixel strands are IP68.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, »
If you have any rain at all IP65 will not cut it. Also need to know what chip as Keith said. From initial indications I would say no not to get those. Just my $.02 worth.

Offline drlucas

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, »
Thanks guys! I'll make IP68 my show standard strand. I just spent 10 minutes reviewing the weather office historical data for October/November/December for the last 3 years - 100mm (maybe what 3"?) of rain on average in October.  Also, did some quick home work on the difference between the different levels of waterproofing because I didn't know....Your experience and lessons learned WON'T go to waste. Truly appreciate your input!

1: Non-waterproof LED Flexible LED Strip: PCB (Printed Circuit Board) material with self-adhesive back.

2: Waterproof LED Flexible LED Strip–Surface Injection: Except it PCB material is encapsulated with plastic Gel at surface, with self-adhesive back, Water resistant coat (IP65).

3: Waterproof LED  Flexible LED Strip–Silicone Tube: Except it PCB material is encapsulated with Silicone jacket. Without self-adhesive back, Water resistant coat (IP67).

4: Waterproof LED Flexible LED Strip–Whole Injection: Except it PCB material is encapsulated with plastic Gel at both side. Water resistant coat (IP68).
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline drlucas

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, »
OK - found a more technical document on protection classes.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Now I know the first 6 is protection from contact and the second 8 is for protection against water. Interesting. I definitely want 68 now!!
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline keitha43

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, »
With an IP69 you could put it on your car and go through a car wash it looks like  :)  There are very few IP69 items. Backup cameras on vehicles are one.

Offline drlucas

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, »
Yeah...they should of skipped the 9 and moved into letters like IP6A....IP69 just doesn't sound very family oriented.

That aside, I'm going to pimp out my RAM with some LEDs one day and I think i've just found out what I need to order  ;)
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, »
IP69 would be overkill and too expensive. I don't know of anyone using them in their displays. I myself am sticking to all IP68 in all of my display stuff.