Author Topic: Vixen 3.0  (Read 14350 times)

Offline drlucas

Vixen 3.0
« on: June 02, 2013, »
I see there is a newer version of Vixen out, but I don't see any relating EntecPro module for the Lynx kicking around. Has anyone with a USB dongle got Vixen 3 working as of yet? If so, can you share a quick tutorial on how to set it up. I'm at a cross roads now of figuring out what software to use...LSP, xLights or Vixen. I saw that development of xLights is on a bit of hold, but Sean seems to really be putting a ton of effort into keeping it going. Vixen seems to be progressing on the development side too and looks promising. LSP costs money and I want to invest my $ into lights and decorations, not software....so any thoughts on first plugins for Vixen 3 and then secondly where should I invest my time in sequencing?

-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Vixen 3.0
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, »
I would consider Vixen 3 a beta product although a few people (on DIYC) have been working with using it.  There is lots of promise, but a long ways to go.  LSP may cost money, but in the overall sense of the total show cost, it is a very small percentage.  That being said, I do own LSP, but have not yet used it for a show.  I finally got past the initial learning curve, but I lots of trouble converting my existing sequences so I still used Vixen 2.14 last year.  With Nutcracker and some other tools, it worked just fine with my RGB lights.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline drlucas

Vixen 3.0
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, »
Well I don't mind bleeding edge but I also don't want the family to be ticked if the show goes down. I'll play it safe. I'll download the LSP demo and try it. I'll also get v2 of vixen and compare the two for my needs. Thanks for the input.
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, »
I just saw this video.  It looks VERY promising...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, »
vien 3 has the full list of effects from Nutcracker 3 included. This means you would not Nutcracker at all.

I am on the development group and have watched the last few months. great progress. It is ready to sequence some peoples shows. My concern is if it will scale to 20K channels. Last year I had 12K channels.
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline barbotte

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, »
and you still have the option of using HLS witch is free and has lots of effect ..cheer

Offline ghethco

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, »
Noone answered the original question, and I have the same question, what about controller configuration for Lynx, both Express and Smart Strings?  I've been looking at quite a bit of Vixen3 info, haven't seen anything yet.  If and when I find it, I will repost here.

Gary

Offline meman

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, »
Noone answered the original question, and I have the same question, what about controller configuration for Lynx, both Express and Smart Strings?  I've been looking at quite a bit of Vixen3 info, haven't seen anything yet.  If and when I find it, I will repost here.

The answer is no. The reason is that RJ has not published an output plugin for 3.0 yet. This is the current lineup on the Wiki:
USB Lynx Dongle
    Vixen ver 2.1 Pixelnet output plugin Put this file in the /plugin/output folder - Updated 7-10-2011
    Vixen ver 2.5 Pixelnet output plugin Put this file in the /plugin/output folder

EtherDongle
    Vixen ver 2.1 EtherDongle output plugin - ver 2 Pixelnet Put this file in the /plugin/output folder
    Vixen ver 2.1 EtherDongle output plugin - ver 1 DMX Put this file in the /plugin/output folder

I have used Vixen 2.5 to run my show for the past 3 years, but as I started to tinker with smart strings, etc last year, the only option available to me was the USB dongle. I don't know how much they have changed the layout of the sequence files, but it might be possible to build your show in Vix 3.0, then import the sequences into another app like xLights to actually run it.

Mike E.

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
Vixen 3.0
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, »
If you have an etherdongle you just set using e131 in 3.0. Works great from my tests.

Offline ghethco

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, »
Could you find it in your heart to let us know (step by step) how you did the controller setup in Vixen3?  This part is a mystery.  It isn't really documented *anywhere* that I've been able to find.  Not for Vixen3 and e131 anyway.

Gary

If you have an etherdongle you just set using e131 in 3.0. Works great from my tests.

Offline drlucas

Vixen 3.0
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, »
I'll be working through it today. Will post some step by steps once I get it going.  Finally got xlights and my dsc to work last night so now i move to vixen testing.
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline drlucas

Vixen 3.0
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, »
OK - so I have blinky now going in Vixen 3 with the etherdongle, active hub, a dumb string and a third party 27 channel controller (I'd be 100% Lynx, but unfortunately I wasn't able to source 6 more DSCs so I had to go another path - sorry). Anyways, here is what I did to get basic blinky going. I'll maybe make a pdf file later on with screen shots.

1. Configure controllers
 - add new controller, e1.31 output controller
 - give it a 4096 channel count
 - configure the controller, give it 8 universes, all active, all starting at 1 and a size of 512, all multicast
2. configure elements
 - add two elements and set a color,location, position for them (not sure you need to add the properties yet, i'm still learning
3. Configure the Filters and Patching
 - select an element on the left and three dmx channels on the right
 - run the patching wizard
 - select your element as the source, add a color breakdown filter, apply template then you are done (kinda those steps, you'll see the wizard)
 4. setup the sequence
 - I dropped down two alternating sequences of different colors for the two elements I created
 - picked different colors for each
 - made the duration of each for 1minute
5. Click play and enjoy!!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, by drlucas »
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline ghethco

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, »
Hi drlucas,

Thanks x 512! :-)  I'm really excited now since this is the first confirmation I've seen that what I want to do is possible.  I'm going to start with just a LE and regular strings.  I'll post back once I've had a chance to try it.

Gary

Offline ghethco

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, »
OK, had to spend some time programming the EtherDongle, finally got that done.

I have an old 10BaseT switch, so I'm trying to use that.  My laptop supports GB Ethernet, not sure if EtherDongle supports that or not.  So I'm connecting PC to switch, switch to ED (silver connector), ED to Pixelnet Input on 16-port Active Hub, DMX Output on AH to DMX Input on LE.  Power everthing up.  Disable wireless (laptop) networking (this may not be necessary, but just to be sure)

First attachment shows the Network and Sharing center as the ED network is powered up. (Identifying...)

Second attachment shows the same thing after it finishes (calls it "Unidentified Network") it is also called "Local Area Connection".

Fire up Vixen3.  Third attachment is the controller setup.  Fourth attachment is the "Output Filters & Patching" setup.  Fifth attachment is the sequence.

I hit 'play' on the sequence.  Nothing happens on the network.  I have WireShark installed.  I can see traffic during the network identification phase, but after that finishes and I play the sequence, nothing.  Any ideas?  This part seems pretty basic, Vixen3 should be sending multicast packets and I should be able to see them in Wireshark.

Gary

Offline drlucas

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, »
Check the Act box in the third picture and try again....
-Ryan Lucas-