Author Topic: Vixen 3.0  (Read 14357 times)

Offline keitha43

Re: Vixen 3.0
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, »
I think there was a pixelnet plugin in the wiki that vixen needs in a certain folder. I think there were 2 versions of it and some had success with one and some the other. I am going off my old memory as I don't have vixen.

Offline ghethco

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2013, »
DOH!  :-)  I guess that should have been obvious (maybe) but I'm working without a net here :-)

OK, now I'm definitely seeing traffic.  However, if multicast is supposed to end in .4, it looks like only 1/8 of the packets are multicast.  The yellow LED on the EtherDongle network interface is pretty much solid once Vixen3 is fired up.  I don't see anything happening on the Active Hub or the LE however.  But, not sure I'm supposed to see anything on the AH.  Not sure what else to look for.  Does the network traffic look reasonable?

This run was direct connection to the ED, but I've also tried it through my 10BaseT switch with the same result.  With the switch in place, I'm not seeing anything on the yellow LED on the ED.

Gary

Offline ghethco

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2013, »
Isn't that plugin for Vixen 2.x?  You're talking about the EtherDongle section of the wiki (attached), right?

Gary

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think there was a pixelnet plugin in the wiki that vixen needs in a certain folder. I think there were 2 versions of it and some had success with one and some the other. I am going off my old memory as I don't have vixen.

Offline drlucas

Vixen 3.0
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2013, »
There is no plugin to be added for vixen 3 to work with the etherdongle. There was for v2, but not v3. You are good there out of the box.

The USB dongle though no clue if that works in vixen 3.

So your multicast issue. First if you aren't seeing the light flicker on the jack when the switch is connected then likely you aren't repeating the multicast traffic out. What type of hub/switch is it? Brand and model and then we can check to see. I'm fortunate to have a nice and new(ish) Cisco switch from a previous life so it works. Nicely.

As for the last octet in the address. My understanding is that the x in  239.255.0.x is the universe number. So looks like you are outputting to several universes. I'd stick to a simple 1 universe for now to get the configuration nailed and then get advanced. For example my basic setup has PC - switch - dongle - active hub - LE1 and le2. Is set my active hub for universe 1:1 on the jumpers as well as dmx universe 1. This way  just dealing with 1-512 channels in my testing.

You might want to take it to the same basics as I got to for the testing. When the ssc coop hardware arrives for me then I get to really play around with things. For now I just have 3 dsc and some les to play in vixen.

Baby steps.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2013, »
xlights might be a simpler way to make sure your hardware is working, then start playing with Vixen 3.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline keitha43

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2013, »
Isn't that plugin for Vixen 2.x?  You're talking about the EtherDongle section of the wiki (attached), right
[/quote]
Told you my memory is old. Sorry.

Offline drlucas

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2013, »
I agree 100% with Jim on this one....I always use xlights first....not 100% sure what I'll do when I get the SSC...I assume xlights will work with that given the nutcracker integration and all....guess I'll just have to wait and see....

xlights might be a simpler way to make sure your hardware is working, then start playing with Vixen 3.
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline ghethco

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2013, »
No prob Keith.  OK, using xlights I got basic blinky flashy!!!  Thanks jnealand for the suggestion.  This is encouraging.

A few things I neglected to do before.  Of course, all three devices needed to have their PICs programmed (duh).   Also, I was not using all of the power connectors on the SS Active Hub.  They all have to be connected, even to program the PIC.

Now I just need to figure out why Vixen3 isn't cooperating.

Gary

Offline tbone321

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2013, »
You actually don't need to connect all of the connections on the active hub.  All of the 4 pin connectors are connected in parallel to each other.  You shouldn't need any of them connected to program the pic as long as you set the programmer to supply voltage but as Steve suggested, nothing else should be plugged into the hub except for the Pickit when programmin the PIC.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline drlucas

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2013, »
Trying to pick this up from another thread....I've since botched my preview in Vixen 3 two times now..including the recent 3.0.7. I'm hoping since I've posted my data folder over at the Vixen support forum that someone can pick up the source of the problem and squash that bug. It's so frustrating to try to get the sequencing done when all of a sudden the preview goes poof!!

I'd go back to HLS but that software has about the worst flow that I've come across. The features within HLS are simply amazing and I think the software has some great potential but I guess I can't complain both HLS and Vixen are wonder gifts from the community.

I've been thinking about trying LightJams, but it's a bit intimidating (and doesn't look like many in this hobby use it) and LSP is $250 and I need to finish investing in HW before I can dig deep into the pockets for that.

I guess I'm just overall grumpy....as I also managed to bugger up a piece of PVC this morning when I was trying to make an arch and using some hot water try to take the tension out of the 3/4" pipe. ended up making a funny looking pear shaped arch. I'm still not even sure what I want to do with the arch is a good idea...i'm thinking of drilling 15/32 holes ever 3" apart and pushing in the 12mm smart nodes (about 40 will do nicely in the arch of  10' length) through and just having the node stick out. I'm thinking that will make for a neat looking arch. Anyways, $20 down the toilet on the PVC, i'll get some more pipe next weekend and try my luck again....hopefully by then the SSCs will arrive and I can get one arch fully built and film up the prototype for all to see here....and I'll see if Vixen3 problems are fixed by then.

Some days I just think I'm not cut out for this hobby. 

Quote from: ghethco on August 04, 2013,

Hey Rick.  Very interesting rambles, thanks for sharing.  I'm still just trying to get something basic working.  I'll probably get into the details of the various software options later.  One of the things that looked appealing about Vixen3 is the built-in effects for RGB.  The preview seems much improved also.  Does Vixen2 with xLights/Nutcracker give you the same functionality?  If so maybe I should give it a whirl.

Gary
I agree with Jim, for hardware testing and or trying different effects. xLights is a great option that is well supported here along with the awesome videos that Sean has done and he weekly online classes for it (thursday nights).

That still allows you to try different software for sequencing. Please don't let a old timer (me) sway you not into trying Vixen 3.0, I am just set in my way with Vixen 2.1 I think Vixen 3.0 RGB effects are nutcracker effects.

Not to plug my own silly program but Colorfinder (in the wiki software page) is really easy to setup and just has sliders to play with. Not much of a learning curve there (setup : USB dongle(DMX or Pixelnet) or Etherdongle. How may total channels do you want to send out with the Etherdongle - colorfinder  does require .net ver 4.0 since it was written in visual basic 2010.

Rick R.
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, »
Trying to pick this up from another thread....I've since botched my preview in Vixen 3 two times now..including the recent 3.0.7. I'm hoping since I've posted my data folder over at the Vixen support forum that someone can pick up the source of the problem and squash that bug. It's so frustrating to try to get the sequencing done when all of a sudden the preview goes poof!!

I'd go back to HLS but that software has about the worst flow that I've come across. The features within HLS are simply amazing and I think the software has some great potential but I guess I can't complain both HLS and Vixen are wonder gifts from the community.

I've been thinking about trying LightJams, but it's a bit intimidating (and doesn't look like many in this hobby use it) and LSP is $250 and I need to finish investing in HW before I can dig deep into the pockets for that.

I guess I'm just overall grumpy....as I also managed to bugger up a piece of PVC this morning when I was trying to make an arch and using some hot water try to take the tension out of the 3/4" pipe. ended up making a funny looking pear shaped arch. I'm still not even sure what I want to do with the arch is a good idea...i'm thinking of drilling 15/32 holes ever 3" apart and pushing in the 12mm smart nodes (about 40 will do nicely in the arch of  10' length) through and just having the node stick out. I'm thinking that will make for a neat looking arch. Anyways, $20 down the toilet on the PVC, i'll get some more pipe next weekend and try my luck again....hopefully by then the SSCs will arrive and I can get one arch fully built and film up the prototype for all to see here....and I'll see if Vixen3 problems are fixed by then.

Some days I just think I'm not cut out for this hobby. 

Quote from: ghethco on August 04, 2013,

Hey Rick.  Very interesting rambles, thanks for sharing.  I'm still just trying to get something basic working.  I'll probably get into the details of the various software options later.  One of the things that looked appealing about Vixen3 is the built-in effects for RGB.  The preview seems much improved also.  Does Vixen2 with xLights/Nutcracker give you the same functionality?  If so maybe I should give it a whirl.

Gary
I agree with Jim, for hardware testing and or trying different effects. xLights is a great option that is well supported here along with the awesome videos that Sean has done and he weekly online classes for it (thursday nights).

That still allows you to try different software for sequencing. Please don't let a old timer (me) sway you not into trying Vixen 3.0, I am just set in my way with Vixen 2.1 I think Vixen 3.0 RGB effects are nutcracker effects.

Not to plug my own silly program but Colorfinder (in the wiki software page) is really easy to setup and just has sliders to play with. Not much of a learning curve there (setup : USB dongle(DMX or Pixelnet) or Etherdongle. How may total channels do you want to send out with the Etherdongle - colorfinder  does require .net ver 4.0 since it was written in visual basic 2010.

Rick R.

Drlucas; have you tried vixen+?

I lied its interface. It also has nutcracker effects.

Vixen 2.1 => vixen 2.5
=> vixen+
=> vixen 3

Both are good
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline keitha43

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, »
You shouldn't lie about interfaces. It isn't polite. :P

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline drlucas

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2013, »
Just downloaded vixen+ and will give it a whirl. Not sure what all this talk is about artisan and elf and such, but I'm hoping I can figure out how to get the preview going. I'm still abit confused about some of the basics of all this...

what I mean is 2.1 was last year's choice and was a popular choice, but didn't really incorporate RGB? Then 2.5, vixen+ and vixen3 are all spin offs of vixen 2.1 but are being led by different development teams? each with their own strength and weakness? from what I can see vixen3 has 4 people developing there. I am looking for something that I can use to sequence (with preview so I can visualize what I'm doing). Once I get the knack of that then I can get into testing to see how things look live in the basement with an eventual goal of starting my outside setup next month.it gets dang cold here in October and usually pretty rainy so I want to get most of the setup done in the fair weather. September temps are usually low 70s and then October quickly drops to 50s, by November we are in 40s, and December can get the freezing temps consistently....anyways....thanks for the into to vixen+ will see how that goes for me.

I love having the options available to me! and I'm generally OK with trying beta/test software, but soon I really need to get to task on this or i'll have 24 months of building my first xmas lighting display

Drlucas; have you tried vixen+?

I lied its interface. It also has nutcracker effects.

Vixen 2.1 => vixen 2.5
=> vixen+
=> vixen 3

Both are good
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline caretaker

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2013, »
Somebody correct me if I am wrong but is not the set up for Vixen 3 supposed to look more like this:

Universe    Start    Channels
      1            1           512
      2           513        512
      3          1025       512
      4          1537       512
Etc...       
Jeff Squires

Offline drlucas

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2013, »
OK - so right off the bat i'm having problems...maybe this is the source of my problems with Vixen3

Start/Size Error - Row 1: Univ=1 Start=1 Size=512 Multicast TTL=1
Start/Size Error - Row 2: Univ=2 Start=1 Size=512 Multicast TTL=1

I have an active hub and etherdongle. The hub is set for dmx universe 1 and pixelnet universe 1. My understanding is that i'll be using my LE and SSRs on the first 512 channels...(probably only going to use less than 50 channels there)...then I have my DSC that I'm also going to use in the first 512 channels...I only have 3 DSCs and likely going to make a couple of mini trees with them. then I'll have the SSCs which I was going to start at channel 513. I'll have about 20 SSCs in total and 1500ish channels for the flex and smart strings i'm building up. that said, I've setup Vixen+ (and 3 for that matter) as 8 universes and therefor 8 different lines of 512 channels each. Is that the right thing to be doing? or am I misunderstanding that?
-Ryan Lucas-