Author Topic: Vixen routine export crash  (Read 981 times)

Offline masterelectrician2112

Vixen routine export crash
« on: June 06, 2013, »
Hi again,

Still getting my feet wet with this program and having another issue.  I have converted my Vixen sequence to Xlights and inserted all the Nutcracker effects I want, so now I am trying to export the converted xlights file as a routine (.vir) file.  When I export, Xlights goes nonresponsive and I have to close it from the task manager.  Does anyone know why this keeps happening?  I updated to Xlights 3.0.9 and still can't export without a crash.  Any suggestions you have would be much appreciated!

EDIT: updated to xLights 3.0.13, no change in problem.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, by masterelectrician2112 »

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Vixen routine export crash
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, »
Why are you trying to export to a routine file?  Why not just save it as a vixen file.  One thing I learned was to always have backups of my original vixen files before modifying them in xlights.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hi again,

Still getting my feet wet with this program and having another issue.  I have converted my Vixen sequence to Xlights and inserted all the Nutcracker effects I want, so now I am trying to export the converted xlights file as a routine (.vir) file.  When I export, Xlights goes nonresponsive and I have to close it from the task manager.  Does anyone know why this keeps happening?  I updated to Xlights 3.0.9 and still can't export without a crash.  Any suggestions you have would be much appreciated!

EDIT: updated to xLights 3.0.13, no change in problem.

how big is your model?

I have a 20x120 tree or 7200 channels (2400 pixels). I create vir files and they work fine.

You can export as either a Vixen *.vix file or as a Routine file *.vir. I prefer the Routine file since it allows you to paste the Nutcracker effects anywhere on your sequence.

be sure you have a blank sequence with as many channels as you need. in my case, i had 12100 channels and pasted the vir file starting at channel 857.

Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline masterelectrician2112

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, »
Smeighan,

My model is a 180* mega tree with 640 nodes (1920 channels).  I know I have enough channels in the vixen file.  My problem was getting the files out of xLights.  I had been adding Nutcracker effects in a converted Vixen to xLights file of my sequence.  Today I rebuilt the Nutcracker effects sequence in a blank xLights file, and it finally was able to export both Vixen and Vixen Routine files.  An interesting possible bug though is that when exporting the .vir file, the program still went into nonresponsive mode before completing the export.  The problem is fixed now, but I am still curious as to why it didn't work the way I was doing it before.  Thanks for the help.

-Will