Author Topic: 4 strands of 30 nodes on 1 SSC  (Read 3122 times)

Offline zwiller

4 strands of 30 nodes on 1 SSC
« on: June 13, 2013, »
Would I have any issues if instead of traditionally wiring a strand of 120 SS nodes, I wired them together as 4 strands/groups of 30 so that I could run each strand to the ends of tree branches starting at the base of the trunk?  (something like a upside down mega).  They would all act alike and that’s fine since it’s basically a dumb element.  On the other hand if I keep them smart it might create some interesting effects.  Any other suggestions appreciated.  THANKS
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: 4 strands of 30 nodes on 1 SSC
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, »
Maybe its just me, but for the cost of 3 more SSCv4s I would just put 4 controllers on them and not worry about special wiring or power issues.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, »
Have not tried it but should work fine.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline zwiller

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, »
Yes, Jim it IS you.   ;D  I plan to convert all incans to rgb so trying to do all this as inexpensively as possible.  I would need like 24 SSC's to do my trees your way.  Still tossing things around but seem to have decided to get away from using dumb gear in favor of ssc with rgb string programmed. 

Thanks RJ.  If I test I will post. 

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, »
I am just a cautious guy Sam.  Wish you were going to the Academy so we could meet face to face.  I have 6 porch columns and I have 6 SSCs for them, but could probably do what you are thinking about for them since they are only about 4 ft apart.  After the v4 coop gets here I will probably have 50 SSCs, but this will be my 3rd yr with RGB.   I am hoping to get rid of my last incans this year, 16 mini trees and 4 archs.  I am repurposing LEDs that were replaced with RGB nodes for mini trees and am planning to pick up a couple more flexstrips to use for the arches.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline zwiller

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, »
Do what makes sense to you.  An rgb layout is fairly complex I think one needs to do whatever so they have a clear picture of how their design works.  Another reason I am trying to keep it simple is I don't want to have to upgrade LSP if I go over 8k channels and I will be pushing it this year as it is.  I wish I was going to Academy too.  Not in the cards this year...  Mini trees, arches, and live trees hopefully getting the rgb treatment this year.  I have really slick idea for rgb arches that I am anxious to mock up. 

Offline kselswick

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, »
If there close enough, couldn't you slice in some wire between each string?

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have really slick idea for rgb arches that I am anxious to mock up. 

AND????????

Offline zwiller

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, »
I could splice in some wire but I think it would make stringing the tree confusing and difficult.

Roger, like all my ideas, it will either be brilliant or a miserable failure so I apologize for jumping the gun.  Promise to report back when done.   

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Roger, like all my ideas, it will either be brilliant or a miserable failure so I apologize for jumping the gun.  Promise to report back when done.   

Gee like tying a dog up 1 foot away from his/her food and walking away! LOL

I am sure that it will be awesome!

Roger

BTW I AM the dog!!!  ;D

Offline zwiller

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, »
 <la.. 

Offline towtruck

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, »
This sounds like a cool idea and I hope it works.

Looking forward to your testing results and pictures.

<pop..

Offline rm357

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, »
I'm thinking the v4 ssc should work fine. You are more likely to have issues with a v1 or v2.
If you don't have a v4 ssc, I'd at least mod one of the others to a v3...
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline FireMedic4Christ

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, »
I did this with two strands of square nodes with 30 nodes each and mounted them inside my bass drum. Has worked fine so far with 12v battery and a th2010 controller, including a three hour pub crawl with the pipe band.

Brian