Author Topic: SSR4 uses (other than mini trees)  (Read 1940 times)

Offline drlucas

SSR4 uses (other than mini trees)
« on: June 18, 2013, »
I'm still in the newbie category for xmas lights....can someone help me understand some other uses for the SSR other than mini tree lighting? I currently have three LEs that I picked up in the coop earlier this year and have plans to control some candy canes to outline the lawn with, but not 100% sure I know what to do with the SSRs. Are they good candidates for anything other than running mini trees? My front lawn is relatively small 20x45' so not 100% sure from a cabling layout prospective they will offer any savings there. Perhaps I just need to scan through some more posts on here in the board, but if someone can offer up some tips/advice I'll then consider hopping into the coop...if for no other use other than to collect another Lynx PCB and add it to the collection :)

cheers!
Ryan
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline urthegman

Re: SSR4 uses (other than mini trees)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, »
Ryan I am using mine for each of my six windows that I built frames with red, green and white Led m5s on. It's easier to run one cat 5 from window to window than to have 3 extension cords hanging down. So instead of having all the windows as one element they will be 6 elements instead.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, »
I used one for lights around my garage which only needed 3 channels and was to far away and to small (channel wise) to use with an LE.  I've also used them with an inflatable train and another with a snowman.  I cut the power cords and put a 2nd plug on so I can control the lights and the fan motor separately.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, »
Ryan:

I have traditionally used all SSR4/DMXes rather than Expresses because I preferred a decentralized system. In my last show (2011) I actually used four SSR4/DMXes to drive a "midi-tree" (six-foot height, 16 multicolored strings); I have an Express kit and may yet build it this year to take care of the extension cord mess that the four SSR4/DMXes caused.

Like others, I use them to in specific areas -- at one time one controlled three strings on kitchen window, one controlled three strings on the front door, one controlled three strings on the bedroom window and one controlled three strings on the living room window. And, of course, mini trees.

This left me with minimal extension cord ho-ha and a single data cable that daisy-chained around the house.

This also allowed me to grow the show slowly.

HTH.

\dmc

Offline drlucas

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, »
Thanks for all the input...I think i'll get a couple kits then. I'm thinking i can outfit the dog house with some lights!!

-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline towtruck

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, »
LOL  <la..