Author Topic: 60 LED/m Flexstrip  (Read 1060 times)

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
60 LED/m Flexstrip
« on: June 26, 2013, »
I've searched Ray Wu's store and could not find what I was looking for.  I sent a note to Ray, but I think there's a language barrier.

I'm looking for a 60 RGB LED/m flexstrip where I can control each node (3 wire instead 4).  There are a ton of 5V models, I of course need 12V.

It looks like there are some other vendors on AliExpress that have them, but I've read of some bad experiences.

Am I missing something?
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline caretaker

Re: 60 LED/m Flexstrip
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, »
If your looking for a flexible strip you can control with a smart string controller than you are limited to the 30 LED strip in the wiki.  I am not positive but I believe a 60 LED string would be to much current for the SS controller.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, »
I'm not too worried about overloading a SSC for what I'm working on, just want the density.

Ray did respond with a 48 node/m model that is 12V.  Which may work for what I'm wanting to do, however, I think 60 would look better.

Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, »
The SCC can handle 128 nodes, the 4m flexstrips in the Wiki have 120 nodes.  You just need to be sure not to exceed the number of nodes the SCC can handle and keep the current below 4-5 amps

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, »
would it work to place 2 strips in parallel, just offset them?
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline zwiller

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, »
I think the 12v + 60led/m is a design limit.  I looked for em too.  Although most folks would want to keep it simple like 1 ssc per strip, I see no issues for building elements with multiple ssc's as long as you know what you are doing.  ie- You would be fine if using them on a matrix where you could power them correctly say 1 ssc per meter or 2.  That said, I don't think the audience would notice the difference between 48 and 60/m unless it is really close to viewing area.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, by zwiller »
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."