Author Topic: Just to be sure  (Read 4470 times)

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
Just to be sure
« on: July 16, 2013, »
This is my first attempt at using Pixelnet in LSP so I want to be correct when I set up my controllers. 

I will be using the EtherDongle.

When using SSC's I need to drag a Pixelnet controller over to the sequencer.   There will be as many PixelNet controllers added as I have SSC's (assuming each controller does not mirror another).

This seems obvious to me but just wanted to make sure.  Didn't want to get going and learn I was to bring something less intuitive over to the sequencer.

Thanks.  I am kicking myself already for not going to the Academy...maybe next year!

Offline keitha43

Re: Just to be sure
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, »
No you need to use the e1.31 controller. There is a setting in there for the etherdongle. The pixelnet controller is for the usb dongle with pixelnet firmware.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, »
One etherdongle can supply 16,384 pixelnet channels.  It does this by passing 4 universes of 4096 channels each.  One active hub is used to receive one universe and pass that on to the SSCs (smart string controllers).  The active hub gives you up to 16 strings and a total of 1365 pixels.

while these numbers represent the "max", you can reduce the number of hubs... and/or the number of strings.
if 16,384 is still not enough for your mega display -- you can have multiple etherdongles receiving data from your show computer.  you could even go computer-less with the Conductor/Slave units.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, »
My suggestion is that in LSP you do not think of them as controllers, but as elements in your display. If you are going E1.31 simply drag a controller and set up the channels that you will be using for that particular element. In your options that is where you set up your 16384 channel  E1.31 universe.

Rethink what you are doing in LSP. no controllers just elements.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, by rdebolt »

Offline thestig

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, »
I just purchased LSP, I am following the route that rdebolt has suggested. It seemed to be the most logical way of doing it at the time. Time will tell as I am just in the beginning of things. I have to build more hardware and set some things up before I know just how long each of my flex strips will be.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, by thestig »

Offline keitha43

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My suggestion is that in LSP you do not think of them as controllers, but as elements in your display. If you are going E1.31 simply drag a controller and set up the channels that you will be using for that particular element. In your options that is where you set up your 16384 channel  E1.31 universe.

Rethink what you are doing in LSP. no controllers just elements.
If you are saying that for a megatree use one huge controller, I would think it would be harder to manually have to calculate the start channel for each SSC. That is why I have created separate controllers for each SSC. Especially if I need to change start channels at a later date or if needing to change out SSC's if one becomes defective.

Offline rm357

Just to be sure
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, »
If a ssc or string fails, you just replace it and program the replacement ssc with the same settings that the failed one had.

As for manually calculating the addresses, you need to do that anyway to ensure that the strings don't overlap and to avoid wasting channels between strings.

The only good reasons for separating the strings that I see is if you are crossing the boundary between two pixelnet universes or you are using something like a sandevices controller that cannot handle pixels with addresses in two e1.31 universes. In both of these cases, there can be a couple of unusable addresses that you have to skip.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, by rm357 »
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline keitha43

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, »
Actually in LSP when you tell it how many pixels are in the controller you are creating and what the 1st channel number is, it knows how many channels to use and numbers them automatically so it is easy to tell what the start channel needs to be for the 2nd controller.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If you are saying that for a megatree use one huge controller, I would think it would be harder to manually have to calculate the start channel for each SSC. That is why I have created separate controllers for each SSC. Especially if I need to change start channels at a later date or if needing to change out SSC's if one becomes defective.

That is exactly what I am saying. You don't have to manually set up a start channel for each controller in LSP. I have a spread sheet that I use for my SSC channel settings. What you do have to do is set up the Megatree (in the image editor) for each string channel start and end.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, by rdebolt »

Offline zwiller

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, »
I use basically one controller per element with some exceptions.  Mini trees, live trees, and luminaries, which are programmed 3 channel string but I group these items left and right since they are on separate universes.  Very intuitive. 

LSP is really flexible.  This year for my mega I went as far as 1 controller per strand and then created a mega tree layer and assigned the strands to it.   I have a house outline layer and am planning an arch layer where each arch has it's own controller. 

Manual calculation of the channels is the hardest aspect of setting LSP up but it really isn't bad at all after you get the hang of it.  Once and done.  If you don't have your elements built I suggest you leave plenty of room between channels for tweaking.  Also, I find it very helpful to put the channels in the controller description.  Screen shot of last years attached.  I printed it and used it for programming my SSCs. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, »
Good point Sam. I do have 1 exception for myself as well. My spinners are set to 10 controllers so that I can get the effects that I want. Each arm is a controller.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, »
I should point out that I arranged the controllers in channel order for the screen shot.  Normally controllers are grouped together (same color) in a matter that is conducive to my sequencing. 

Maybe it should also be said the beauty of "controller per element" is being able to add effects with the controller minimized which applies effect to all channels which very powerful.  Trust me, this may all appear to be Greek to new users but it will eventually click. 

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline animal

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, »
I hope I don't confuse the issue. I'm just wondering for myself and good practice. I have dmx controllers with open channels left with in the elements, and I've set this in LSP as an open controller with the left open channels starting the next controller or element what ever works in your situation to the next start channel. This lets me add if needed to the open controller and keeps the channel counts in order. Follow?. Now if I could and I didn't need the extra channels I could set the next controller for the next channel count even if it mirrors the open controller since I'm not going to use it anyway and eliminate the open controller from my template, but I think having it there keeps things in order.

Guys I'm just thinking out loud here and maybe making to much of it. <fp. Just wondering if it would be good practice just to leave the open controller?

animal

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, »
That's the great thing about LSP, you can customize it to your needs. Like Animal I have my first 512 channels (DMX) and use those for my LEs and Aethers. I don't touch those channels with my RGB, but I could if I wanted. Youi can set it up for what ever you use to keep things straight for you. I don't necessarily do it the way that it was designed... I just do what works for me.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, »
I don't think the first idea is bad especially with dmx controllers which have a rigid channel count.   However, your second idea would end up confusing to me when it comes time to modify the setup in the future to add stuff.  The problem becomes a domino effect and you would have to reconfig all controllers to account for the change.  Something I try to minimize.  That is if I understand you correctly.  IE - Last year I left plenty of room between channels but this year I have to reconfig to stay under my license's channel count of 8,192.   :o