Author Topic: Just to be sure  (Read 4467 times)

Offline animal

Re: Just to be sure
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, »
Agreed
.     my head hurts
 animal,

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, »
In response to Keith's initial input.

The E1.31 controller has 512 channels (or pixels).  If I had more than 512 I would just add a second E1.31 controller and start channel count at 513 (or where ever that next 512 might start).

Would it be advisable to create virtual controllers to "Break" out the individual elements or simply create layers for that?  I suppose the layer method is better as I would have to create those anyway.

Thanks.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, »
The Ether Dongle flashed for pixelnet is actually 16384 channels. 4 universes of 4096 channels. Or if flashed for DMX is 2048 DMX channels.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, by rdebolt »

Offline keitha43

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, »
For RGB pixels once you create the controller you change the controller type from "Light Controller" to "RGB Light Controller" and you will then set the start channel and you will see the Logical channels (number of pixels) will be smaller than the physical RGB channels(actual channels used) 3 channels per pixel.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, »
In LSP an E1.31 controller can have as many channels as you want. The default number might be at 512, but you can put what ever number channel count that you need.

Sorry about my last post was not thinking about what you were saying.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, by rdebolt »

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2013, »
When setting the "controller protocol" in the E1.31 controller settings, it was noted there was an etherdongle selection but I don't see that as an option.

When I was reviewing MickPat's PDF on setting up controllers in LSP he selected the "E1.31 DMX over Ethernet".  So I assume the "E1.31 DMX over Ethernet" setting is the correct one.

Sorry, I'm a bit slow on the uptake here.

And on setting the Universe settings on the Active hubs...

I was planning on a matrix with 1568 pixels or (4704 channels).  If the Active Hub universe is only 4096 channels I suppose I will need two hubs to make this matrix work? 

This poses another question I have...If a hub can theoretically support 16, 128 node strings (physically - meaning power consumption and safety), this far exceeds the 4096 channels per universe so technically you could never really "max" out an active hub. The limit is in deed 4096 channels (or 10.67, 128 node strings).

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, »
Additionally...

If my current matrix needs to use two hubs with two universes, I see two options...

1. Max out hub one and use all 4096 channels and then use 608 channels from the second hub (set to a second universe of course).
2. or simply split them evenly between two hubs.

The problem I see with two hubs is no matter what there will be some "wasted" channels which isn't good because I only have the Advanced Edition of LSP and limited to 8K channels.  Wasting channels isn't a good thing.  So here is my last question.  To save "channels" and using my first option as an example...Can I use a third hub set to the second universe and have SSC's attached to it that have channel Number set above 608?  Will there be a conflict between the 2nd and 3rd hubs using the same universe settings?

Offline keitha43

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2013, »
"options" "configure outputs" "add output" "select e1.31 dmx over ethernet" and zone. Then when you go to cofigure that output you can "load defaults" and choose etherdongle from the dropdown.

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2013, »
Thanks Keith, I did that for the output configuration already.

I wasn't very clear (something I do a lot).  I meant for the E1.31 controller settings on the sequencer.  The place where you define your physical channels, controller color etc.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
When setting the "controller protocol" in the E1.31 controller settings, it was noted there was an etherdongle selection but I don't see that as an option.

When I was reviewing MickPat's PDF on setting up controllers in LSP he selected the "E1.31 DMX over Ethernet".  So I assume the "E1.31 DMX over Ethernet" setting is the correct one. In creating the controller itself you are correct.

Sorry, I'm a bit slow on the uptake here.

And on setting the Universe settings on the Active hubs...

I was planning on a matrix with 1568 pixels or (4704 channels).  If the Active Hub universe is only 4096 channels I suppose I will need two hubs to make this matrix work?  Yes
This poses another question I have...If a hub can theoretically support 16, 128 node strings (physically - meaning power consumption and safety), this far exceeds the 4096 channels per universe so technically you could never really "max" out an active hub. The limit is in deed 4096 channels (or 10.67, 128 node strings). Yes

Offline keitha43

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2013, »
There is a pdf that mickpat created a while back at the top of this thread
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login that may help. I would only use 2 smarthubs.

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2013, »
Thanks.  That is indeed the PDF I mentioned earlier.

If I can't have two hubs using the same universe settings then it would be best to trim the number of nodes in my matrix to 1365 and use only one hub.

I would hate to waste all those other channels on the second hub.  My matrix (and hence the hub) will really be too far away from other SSC's to use it for other elements.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Additionally...

If my current matrix needs to use two hubs with two universes, I see two options...

1. Max out hub one and use all 4096 channels and then use 608 channels from the second hub (set to a second universe of course).
2. or simply split them evenly between two hubs.

The problem I see with two hubs is no matter what there will be some "wasted" channels which isn't good because I only have the Advanced Edition of LSP and limited to 8K channels.  Wasting channels isn't a good thing.  So here is my last question.  To save "channels" and using my first option as an example...Can I use a third hub set to the second universe and have SSC's attached to it that have channel Number set above 608?  Will there be a conflict between the 2nd and 3rd hubs using the same universe settings?

I don't see a problem with a duplicate hub, in fact I plan to do the same thing with a Zeus for my mega.  My Zeus will be set to same universe as my 2nd hub (No2).  I can really see a benefit to 2 hubs set to same universe to minimize cable runs, easy of install, etc... For some reason knowing the pixelnet data stream consists of all 4 universes helped this stuff click for me.  The hub universe is selected by using the jumpers.  The SS system is nothing like DMX and I think that's good thing.

Also, you are ridiculously close to being able to use a 4 port (512ch) to cover those 608 channels.

Personally I think with a matrix that big, no one will notice 608 missing channels...  It would be cheaper, easier to install, program, etc. but that's me.  Gotta give you credit, dedicating half of your channels to a matrix!
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2013, »
By 4 port you mean the passive 4 port hub correct?
If so how does that fit into the Universe as there are no jumpers on it.  Would it just "extend" what ever the universe was from the active hub that fed it? Meaning the active hub could be 100' away for instance?

Offline zwiller

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2013, »
 <fp.  I thought there were jumpers on that thing... 

But, in my research on the matter I stumbled upon Zeus being a 16 STRING controller...  6144 channels?  Not sure of the details of Zeus, but seems ideal for your situation... 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."