Author Topic: Stumped  (Read 8511 times)

Offline kmcallorum

Stumped
« on: July 22, 2013, »
I have had my etd's working.  But now I cannot get it to work in xlights through router or direct connect with straight or crossover.

I verified my express is set to Channel 1-16 using dongle. No problem.

I lug in express to my source green light and activity light go on.  I plug the express in and Dmx light in goes on.
I use xlights to turn on lights nothing.
I use lsp to turn on lights nothing,

While the status lights show working, I cannot get either Ted dongle to work.
Reef lashed over and over, tried crossover cable and straight cable, nothing.  Plugged into router nothing.

What am I missing
Kevin

Offline tbone321

Re: Stumped
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, »
What firmware are you using on the Etherdongle?  Did you flash it with DMX or Pixelnet?   Do you have your E1.31 universes set up correctly?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline kmcallorum

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, »
Flashed Dmx.  Setup like PDF

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, »
Not sure if its xLights or the Etd.

First is the green light on the Etd? (inside the case the "I am a live led")
Do you have lights on and blinking at the silver rj-45 jack (the input side) - The black jack is the output to the LE, etc

In xLights do you have the output enabled?
Do you have the correct range of channels selected?

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline kmcallorum

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, »
Well green light for power.  Green light on magic jack, activity on magicjack and green light on express when plugged in.

Same set of cables for dongle work.  When on etd all lights on just will not turn on lights.  I see activity burst but nothing power wise.

Xlights works for dongle but when set for multicast with range set now power to express for lights.

Offline kmcallorum

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, »
long story short, everthing reflashed.
ETD - Latest from wiki for dmx.
express - latest from wiki.

Xlights latest from website
lsp latest from website

The power light on
majikjack light on
activity light blinks
expressd dmx light on

when running test from xlights dmx light on express flashes.  Lights don't turn on.
when running test from lsp ligh on express flashes lights don 't turn on.

switch to dongle.
Both lsp and xlights turn on lights.

So it looks like data is being sent to express, but will not turn on lights from etd.  dongle works fine.

i have tried 2 different etd's same thing.
they both worked last year.

Any other ideas???

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, »
do the lights power up when you use debug/test firmware in the SSC?
you can rule out the cable, the connection to the pixels (data/12v+/ground are not swapped) the SSC, and the pixels.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline kmcallorum

Stumped
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, »
This is dmx only i am using an express that is set for ch 1-16

Offline keitha43

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, »
In lsp are your controllers set to "e1.31 DMX over ethernet" and "Light Controller"? And in the configure outputs is it configured for the etherdongle? And the output turned on?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, by keitha43 »

Offline kmcallorum

Stumped
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, »
All answers yes

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, »
So you are connecting in this way right:

Laptop -> Wired ethernet -> Switch (or Access point) ->Etherdongle -> Out of Etherdongle DMX out -> Lynx Express

right?

A few things to check
1. If you are wired to the Switch / Access Point what's your IP Address that's been assigned to the Laptop
It should be 1.192.168.1.XX ( Gateway should be 192.168.1.1)

2. If connecting to a Access Point, have you turned off your wireless and force the Laptop to use the Hardwired Ethernet connection

3. On the Lynx Express, have you got the "Remove for Wireless" jumper set correctly, it should be ON for wired mode?

4. On the Lynx Express have you got the terminate jumper installed?

5. In LSP for the Configure outputs, is it set with the default values, and made active, by setting the check boxes on all the universes
(In LSP if there is a problem with set up after the initial set up and LSP can't "see" the Ether dongle, it will Un-check the Configure outputs by default even though you thought you set them up correctly the first time)

6. In LSP for configure outputs, is it set for the correct LAN connection?

7. For the cable that comes from the Switch / Access Point is it plugged into the Ethernet input jack on the Etherdongle correctly?
(The Laptop connects to the silver MagJack input side of the Etherdongle, then out on the other connector on the Etherdongle to the Input of the Lynx Express into the DMX input)

8. Does the test mode on the Lynx Express work and light up in stand alone mode on all channels?

9. On the Laptop, are any virus checkers running (if so turn them off for now)

10. Does your Router support Multicast (on mine it isn't filtered as default, so it passes the Multicast packets, but some routers filter multicast, or don't support passing multicast packets, so that might be causing your issues as you go through the router)

Below is what the Output configuration should look in LSP (your Lan connection might be different to mine though)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, by peteandvanessa »

Offline caretaker

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, »
In Xlights you set up should look like below.  Then on the test page make sure you select ALL then hit chase and you should see some activity.

Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline kmcallorum

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, »
well latest version looks like.
DMX/Express works with dmx dongle.  It works fine.

When I plug majikjack into lan and express into rj45.  And run with the attached config nothing.

Both in LSP and Xlights.  Nada a light turns on.  All lights show activity just nothing turns on.

and yes I am checking all.  Channel all work in test and in dongle land.  its just etd land is all activity flash but lights themselves do not go on.
It's like etd is not sending dmx or something blocking it. No virus or firewalls on.

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, »
What router are you using?

What's your setting for your router (I'm assuming you are going through a router)

What happens if you connect directly from you computer direct to the Etherdongle? (you may need a swap cable for this)

Offline kmcallorum

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, »
tried direct connection.  that's where I am at.
reg cat five lights on activity yes.  no power to any channels
crossover cable same.