Author Topic: Stumped  (Read 8513 times)

Offline kmcallorum

Re: Stumped
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, »
and I have tried two pc's and two etds.  same result on mixture.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, »
In XP if you connect directly from the computer to the jack with the lights on it, the computer will spend a little time trying to pull an ip address then it will say it is an unknown network. Does something similar happen for you? You should also see action on the network jack on the etherdongle. Especially when you start to play a sequence. Did these etherdongles used to work for you? If so are you using a different computer or any other hardware equipment?

Offline kmcallorum

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, »
I have win 7.  I program without dhcp.  so I already have ip.  there is ton of action on the magicjack seeing the activity.

both worked fine last November.  they were put in a box, and when I pulled them out there is no response.  I tried reflashing them.  still no go.

Offline kmcallorum

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, »
wireshark shows the packets are being sent.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, »
Looking at your screenshot it looks like you have an old version of xlights. The latest is here- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  Is your configuration screenshot of the version that worked for you last year?

Offline kmcallorum

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, »
same one.
tried new xlights same thing

Offline keitha43

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, »
Maybe create all 4 dmx universes for the etherdongle in xlights and do a select all in the test screen of the lastest version of xlights. That way it is sending on all possible channels.

Offline kmcallorum

Stumped
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, »
I have tried all something is blocking dmx just don't know what

Offline tbone321

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, »
Has anyone else tried running the latest DMX firmware on their EtherDongle with a direct connection to an Express to make sure that this combination is still working? 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline caretaker

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, »
Not sure if it will make any difference but the latest version of X-Lights - Nutcracker is here:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You might want to add all 16 universes in, I know in LSP 2 there was a issue when you only defined 1 universe.  In the mean time unless someone beats me to it I will download the latest DMX code for the Etd and check it out with an express this weekend.

Jeff Squires

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2013, »
kmcallorum,

Do you have any other kits around (different types are ok) that can be used to verify your setup?
I'd suggest that you deconstruct your setup into smaller pieces that you them verify, piece-by-piece.

If you had a USB dongle, you could test your DMX controller and bypass the rest.  The goal would be to very the controller, and some cabling, and your software.

Another idea is to verify you are getting power and signal coming out of various parts of your setup...  you can use individual LEDs to create a tester -- like what I posted in this message:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline keitha43

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2013, »
I believe he said his usb dongle works correctly with that controller.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline kmcallorum

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2013, »
Guys it cant be any smaller.  1 express and 1 etd.  All activity lights show its working wireshark shows activity.  Express show dmx connected.  and etd's (plural) don't work.  Dongle works just fine.

Offline caretaker

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2013, »
OK took my second EtD and flashed with current DMX hex file and then connected to my switch and loaded X-Lights 3.0.21 and selected output to lights and then selected Test page (using the config I posted earlier) and checked off channels 1 to 16 then selected chase and channels 1 through 16 lit on my express.
The loaded and LSP 2.5 and loaded a sequence and selected test hardware and chase and again all 16 channels of the express flashed merrily away.
SO we know the Etd DMX hex works fine,  Now we just need to figure out why yours isn't working. BTW when packets were being sent to the Etd the yellow light on the mag jack flashed at a pretty steady clip, when there was no data being sent just a steady pulse of the yellow LED.
Jeff Squires

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2013, »
Do you have another express to test with?  Jumpers on express all set properly?

Do you have a replacement (std. cat5, not crossover) cable you can try? -- bad cable = nightmares, but common

Can you upload a picture of your ED board so we can inspect for anything unexpected?
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]