Author Topic: MagJack - doesn't like POE? - RESOLVED  (Read 6434 times)

Offline drlucas

MagJack - doesn't like POE? - RESOLVED
« on: July 24, 2013, »
So I should be banned from working on DLA after a certain time of day because tonight I think I might have learned a valuable lesson. LABEL your cables.

I'm working on my bench with 10 different rj-45 cables and testing a DSC build. Long story, I ended up with a cable from one of the 16 ports of the active hub going into the magjack. The outcome is now when I connect the etherdongle back into the network switch, I end up getting link light on the switch, but no lights on magicjack. I still get the nice green solid light on the etherdongle just no link on the magjack. so my question is....did I fry it? am I now looking for a new magjack, or am I looking for more parts?

Any thoughts? (other than sucks to be me?)...your help as always is appreciated. I'm also willing to take a bit of ridicule because of the learning opportunity (i.e. me being a bit too ram-y at times)

thanks,
Ryan
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, by drlucas »
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline tbone321

Re: MagicJack - doesn't like POE?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, »
IIRC, the term is magjack, not magicjack.  I don]t kmow if this magjack supports POE or not.  The problem here is that the hub is not really a POE device.  The hub is using 3 pairs for power at 12V and POE doesn't do that so I believe that you fried the MagJack. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline drlucas

Re: MagJack - doesn't like POE?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, »
thanks for the clarification....i've updated the topic and my references to the incorrect term. I have also created a TON of home brew network cables and traditionally only cared ever about 1,2,3,6 and the other two pairs just went where ever when I crimped the cables.....so I really need to start over, get a few different cases of different colour ethernet cable and coordinate things a bit better. outside of that, will 12V of power from the hub to the jack kill it? I tried a few other network cables and all give a link light on the switch, but no lights anymore on the etherdongle. I even tried to just do a quick known test with the etherdongle to the hub to an LE and run a quick chase test and nothing going on with my LE so figured without lights and no blinky i fried it. I ordered two new connectors from newark (incase i ever need another one in the future) ...hopefully its not too much effort to desolder the connector.
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline tbone321

Re: MagicJack - doesn't like POE?
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, »
While labeling your cables is a good idea, color coding them might be better.  Cables can be ordered in many colors these days and identifying a cable by its color is easier than looking for and tying to read a label.  You could make Ethernet one color such as blue, pixelnet green, smart string Yellow, DMX grey, and dumb strings red.  While SSC's and DSC's both use the same cable with the same outputs and identifying them from each other is not critical, it can make it easier to see what port of the hub is going to what out in the display if you are having issues.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, »
You will have burn up the mag jack. The other stuff should be fine. Changing the jack is not super easy but can be done.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
will 12V of power from the hub to the jack kill it?

I believe that it would, especially dumping 12V on one of the data pairs.

Offline drlucas

MagJack - doesn't like POE?
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, »
Thanks for the quick reply. Parts on order. Fingers crossed I can get this swapped out. I have some wick and a solder pump. Hope it's all I need to undo the damage. Live and learn.

Will post back once I give swapping out the part a try.
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, »
The desoldering tool from Radio Shack works pretty well for this but it does take a while for it to heat up properly.  Just be careful that you don't overheat the board and lift or damage the traces.  More heat for a short period is much better than less heat for a longer period.  Good luck.

Offline drlucas

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, »
OK....so, part is enroute and I have taken the old magjack off. See attached photos. Top of board looks clean, the bottom not so much....but I won't really know if I killed the traces until I test it out. if I have managed to kill a trace, hopefully there is a work around with a small wire between two components....and RJ was right, with the solder braid it was still a tricky thing to get out. Have a look and let me know if there are any warning signs. I did connect power back to the board and it still powered up green (yeah, I like to play with fire)..
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline drlucas

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, »
...and the other photo. guess the file size was too big to post both.
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, »
Man that looks good compared to some of my attempts that actually worked. You won't know for sure until the new one installed, but my guess is it will be OK.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, »
It looks good.  I don't see any real damage to the board and you shuld be good to go.

Offline drlucas

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, »
The part is at my door according to ups tracking. Once I get home from work I'll be trying it out. Fingers crossed.
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline drlucas

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, »
The part is at my door according to ups tracking. Once I get home from work I'll be trying it out. Fingers crossed.
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline drlucas

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, »
....so I've reseated the magjack and all the pins went in nice and smooth....flipped the board upside down, dropped some sweet solder into the holes, flipped things back over, powered on the etherdongle and i got a link light....then hooked up the pixel net port, connected in an LE to the active hub, fired up slights and started my chase test and the LEDs go blinky again.

Now for the next hour I'm cleaning up my work bench, and getting a great night sleep. Then tomorrow i'll put together the last two DSCs and see if I can get some RGB action going.

Once again folks - THANK YOU for the confidence in fixing my silly mistakes and for saving me a TON of money having to build a new board from the ground up.

-Ryan Lucas-