Author Topic: conductor troubleshooting - card error  (Read 1741 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
conductor troubleshooting - card error
« on: July 28, 2013, »
Now it is my turn in the box.  RJ touched up the CF pins for me at the Academy and I finally assembled my conductor.  But now its troubleshooting time. 

The etherdongle is one that I used for last years show and is a known working commodity using pixelnet software.
I have reflashed it with the new v69 firmware for the conductor using a pickit 3 and the ver1 programmer.

I formatted my CF cards using the disk management formatting since the windows explorer format would not work with a 16k allocation size.  Running on a Win 7 machine with 12gb RAM and 1TB hard drive.  The connection from the computer to the ETD is the same one I used yesterday to test some controllers using a second ETD so I know the communications are good.
The battery is inserted and the red light comes on the conductor when I power up.

I have one sequence called test1seq and one audio file called test1.ogg.
Using the control panel that came with the v69 update -
I created a password
I created a show called test1.sho
I created a schedule called test1.sch
and there is a file called playlist.dat on the card

When I insert the card and restart the control panel all I get is "card error"

I don't have lights connected up at the moment to my active hub as I just wanted to see if I could see the card via the control panel. and maybe see if the music played.

Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: conductor troubleshooting - card error
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, »
I don't see the password file in you attached photo.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline keitha43

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, »
Yes even though you first start the utility it asks for a password. That in itself doesn't create a password. Use the button to create the password where you see the create show and schedule buttons.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, »
added the password file.  Still get "card error"
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline keitha43

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, »
I would use a magnifying glass and lightly push on each pin of the socket with a toothpick. One may still not have a good connection and need resoldering.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, by keitha43 »

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, »
I had a similar problem with the conductor, mine wasn't a card error, mine just reported that it wasn't connected.

I had to use a magnifying glass, some solder flux and a fine solder tip to reflow every connector on the flash card header.

My flash card header was under some tension, when you reflow the pins, they tend to pull OFF (actually they spring up off) the board, so I pushed down lightly on the header pins to get them re-attached to the PCB. It took three or four goes at reflowing, but it's working great now.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: conductor troubleshooting - card error -SOLVED
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, »
You guys are too smart.  I did find one pin that was not connected.  Reflowed that pin and now I can see the show from the control panel and if I select play the show, I can hear the music with some computer speakers hooked to the audio out.  Next up will be to finish all my hardware firmware upgrades and then test with some lights.  But that probably won't happen for a couple of weeks.  At least I know it plays music and is controllable from the computer.  Now I need the cases with the conductor cutouts from the current ETD coop.   Thank you, thank you.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, by jnealand »
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, »
Wow guess I did a poor job fixing it for you. sorry about that!

Glad you got it working!

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, »
RJ, you also taught me and several others how to do the fix so without that education the device would probably still be sitting around not working until the next academy, so kudos to you.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, »
Glad to hear it's working. I love it how the board members all club together to suggest solutions to other members problems.