Author Topic: EtherDongle programming  (Read 16514 times)

Offline tbone321

Re: EtherDongle programming
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2013, »
It does look like he is using a different version of the software.  What I would suggest to Segull is that he plug in the picket3 and bring up MPLAB.  MPLAB comes on the CD included with the Picket.  MPLAB will detect the Picket3 and load the initial firmware that the picket3 requires to run.  From looking at the screen shot, it appears that the Picket does not have the correct firmware loaded to make it a programmer and I don't believe that the standalone programmer software has the ability to do that.  MPLAB will probably attempt to connect to Microchip to get the firmware so make sure that the computer that the Picket3 is connected to is on-line.  Once MPLAB sets up the device, you can close it and the programmer software should work properly.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2013, »
I just remember that a DLA member created a step-by step directions in the wiki.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Not sure if it will help or not but its worth a try.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline drlucas

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2013, »
Two other things I was thinking about...one was just silly, the other is kind of serious to help...

1 - is anyone willing to do a remote control to his PC to see if they can do some live troubleshooting? maybe walk through a few steps? I know in the past people are willing to ship out a device to another, or do a local meet up. Where i was going with this, is try another PC that is known to work. i've never seen a bad usb cable before, but maybe it's something as simple as that?
2 - reboot your mouse. 99% of the time rebooting the mouse or upgrading the mouse have resolved most technical problems when i've had to help my parents with any computer problems.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline ghethco

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2013, »
Hi guys,

Quite an adventure, but I'm making progress!

BTW there is a note on the Wiki that says "NOTE2: Only use the Pickit 3 utility and not MPLAB to program the firmware."  The instructions that Rick pointed to are explicit in the use of MPLAB.  Can someone please fix the wiki?  Or am I allow to?  Probably admins only.  While we're at it, there should be a prominent link to the directions Rick pointed out in the "PIC Programming" section of the wiki.  Can someone fix that also?

Turns out the PICKit 3 has two modes, MPLAB mode and the other mode used with the stand alone programmer app (forget what they call that mode).  Anyway, mine was in "that other mode" and I was trying to use it with MPLAB.  So, in MPLAB, I was getting the following error:

PK3Err0033: 4 bytes expected, 0 bytes received

That's because it was in the wrong mode.  The solution is to quit MPLAB, start the standalone PICKit 3 programmer, and go to "Tools -> Revert to MPLAB mode".  Quit the programmer and restart MPLAB and continue with the procedure in the instructions in the wiki.  Import the firmware (checksum didn't match what's on the wiki BTW, mine was 0xf8cd8ee4), select the device (this seems to persist once you've set it), select the PICKit 3 and voila!  Finally getting somewhere (see first attachment).

I am using the power supply for the EtherDongle.  You can either do that or use the PICKit 3 to power the ED.  OK, that abbreviation makes me uncomfortable :-) let's spell it out - EtherDongle :-)  (comic relief)

Bingo!  (see second attachment)   Now on to the next step, trying to get the PC and Vixen3 to talk to the EtherDongle...

Gary

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2013, »
you should never need to add power to the device being programmed.
all power comes through the PicKit3 programmer via its USB connection to the computer.
no cables should be attached to your EtD, your SSC, your DSC, etc. -- only the PicKit3.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tbone321

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2013, »
you should never need to add power to the device being programmed.
all power comes through the PicKit3 programmer via its USB connection to the computer.
no cables should be attached to your EtD, your SSC, your DSC, etc. -- only the PicKit3.

This is not completely correct.  While in most cases you don't need to add power, never is a bit strong of a word. It should be that you don't have to supply power as long as the Pickit is set to do it for you but I have seen some boards that would not program unless the board was powered as well.  Perhaps something was drawing more current than the Pickit could provide on its own.  I agree that no other cables should be attached to the device being programmed with the possible exception of its power supply and even then, only if needed.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2013, »
Hi guys,

Quite an adventure, but I'm making progress!

BTW there is a note on the Wiki that says "NOTE2: Only use the Pickit 3 utility and not MPLAB to program the firmware."  The instructions that Rick pointed to are explicit in the use of MPLAB.  Can someone please fix the wiki?  Or am I allow to?  Probably admins only.  While we're at it, there should be a prominent link to the directions Rick pointed out in the "PIC Programming" section of the wiki.  Can someone fix that also?

Turns out the PICKit 3 has two modes, MPLAB mode and the other mode used with the stand alone programmer app (forget what they call that mode).  Anyway, mine was in "that other mode" and I was trying to use it with MPLAB.  So, in MPLAB, I was getting the following error:

PK3Err0033: 4 bytes expected, 0 bytes received

That's because it was in the wrong mode.  The solution is to quit MPLAB, start the standalone PICKit 3 programmer, and go to "Tools -> Revert to MPLAB mode".  Quit the programmer and restart MPLAB and continue with the procedure in the instructions in the wiki.  Import the firmware (checksum didn't match what's on the wiki BTW, mine was 0xf8cd8ee4), select the device (this seems to persist once you've set it), select the PICKit 3 and voila!  Finally getting somewhere (see first attachment).

I am using the power supply for the EtherDongle.  You can either do that or use the PICKit 3 to power the ED.  OK, that abbreviation makes me uncomfortable :-) let's spell it out - EtherDongle :-)  (comic relief)

Bingo!  (see second attachment)   Now on to the next step, trying to get the PC and Vixen3 to talk to the EtherDongle...

Gary

The note is correct and for the most part, MPLAB should not be used for this purpose.  As said before, even though MPLAB is more than capable of programming our PICS, it is also more than capable of destroying those PICS as well.  If you screw up a PIC on an Express or SSC, as much as that sucks all you really need to do is replace the PIC and many who have been in this hobby for a while, already own a few extra PICS.  If you destroy the PIC on the EDT, you can say goodbye to your $100 and toss the board into the trash. 

You did bring up a good point.  Perhaps the OP can go into the tools menu of the programmer software and download the correct operating system.  That should set the Picket3 to work properly with the stand alone programming software.

Offline ghethco

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2013, »
On the power issue, all I can say is that I read in multiple places (including the PICKit 3 documentation) that you can power the PIC either through a separate power supply, or through the PICKit 3 itself.  For the latter, you have to go in via software and enable the PICKit 3 to power the PIC.

On the other part about using MATLAB, I see your point.  Never good to brick a board :-)  (turn it into a brick)  If this is the case, maybe someone should revise the Wiki instructions.  I'd be happy to myself, but at my level of noobosity it might not be best :-)

Anyway, I'm continuing my adventure on the Vixen -> Vixen 3.0 thread.  I may end up falling back to Vixen 2.0, but I'm going to give 3.0 my best shot first.

Gary

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2013, »
Just my 2 cents as a user of Vixen and nothing to do with my status on DLA or the official opinion of DLA on Vixen.

I have been a happy user of Vixen 2.1.x since 2007/2008. I had High hopes for Vixen 3.0 but its going in a totally different direction than ver 2 series. Some of that is good but there are some things I don't like. Like KC (original programmer/owner of Vixen) is no longer on the team. The team has mostly made it a Renard controller software (take a look at the status of the modules the only one that is confirmed is Renard). I don't see me using v3 at all down the road and will have to look at different options. I only know of Vixen + (a branch of Vixen) and been following from a far HLS. I have private issues with LSP  and I have never been a LOR user. So currently I am staying the course of Vixen 2.1 and xLights/Nutcracker and of course the show runs off of the Lynx Conductor. Sorry for the rambling ……..

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline ghethco

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2013, »
Hey Rick.  Very interesting rambles, thanks for sharing.  I'm still just trying to get something basic working.  I'll probably get into the details of the various software options later.  One of the things that looked appealing about Vixen3 is the built-in effects for RGB.  The preview seems much improved also.  Does Vixen2 with xLights/Nutcracker give you the same functionality?  If so maybe I should give it a whirl.

Gary

Offline tbone321

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2013, »
Vixen 2.anything doesn't have the RGB features that 3.0 has.  This was the purpose of creating 3.0.  That and the huge channelount that goes with it.  If you are using the ETD or the Conductor, then you should be able to use E1.31 which I believe that it currently or soon will support.  As Rick has mentioned, Ver 2.x and Ver 3 are very different creatures so learning on one will not be helpful if you decide to transition to the other.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2013, »
I do all my testing using xlights.  Once I configure the software I can test anything including DMX since I have an active hub that puts DMX out the 1st 512 channels.  I just completed going thru 14 LEs and upgrading the firmware, plugging ln lights and running them using xlights.  Most of the xlights test are oriented to RGB, but you can use the first test mode (standard).  When I am testing I have everything set to use channel 1 as the start channel so once I know my setup works for one then it should work for everything.

I did go to Vixen 2 and try to use the test channels function, but I have something messed up in my setup.  VBG, but xlights worked like a champ.

Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2013, »
Hey Rick.  Very interesting rambles, thanks for sharing.  I'm still just trying to get something basic working.  I'll probably get into the details of the various software options later.  One of the things that looked appealing about Vixen3 is the built-in effects for RGB.  The preview seems much improved also.  Does Vixen2 with xLights/Nutcracker give you the same functionality?  If so maybe I should give it a whirl.

Gary

I agree with Jim, for hardware testing and or trying different effects. xLights is a great option that is well supported here along with the awesome videos that Sean has done and he weekly online classes for it (thursday nights).

That still allows you to try different software for sequencing. Please don't let a old timer (me) sway you not into trying Vixen 3.0, I am just set in my way with Vixen 2.1 I think Vixen 3.0 RGB effects are nutcracker effects.

Not to plug my own silly program but Colorfinder (in the wiki software page) is really easy to setup and just has sliders to play with. Not much of a learning curve there (setup : USB dongle(DMX or Pixelnet) or Etherdongle. How may total channels do you want to send out with the Etherdongle - colorfinder  does require .net ver 4.0 since it was written in visual basic 2010.

Rick R.

Offline Segull

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2013, »
tbone, I looked over what you had stated and here is what i have,
I uninstalled the Pickit 3 version I had and Installed the Pickit3 programmer in the Wiki.
Now I get "operation failed' when i go to write to the EtherDongle, so looking over, again, my soldering.
Anything that you all can suggest that I look for specifically?

Thank you all for the posting you have done, really helps, and its fun to explore  :D

here is a picture of what I got on the Pickit3 programmer. I think it's progress  ;D

Offline tbone321

« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2013, »
The fact that the pickit3 now sees the chip is progress for sure.  There may be an issue where you are storing the hex file and I would also make sure that you have the correct one.  What does it do when you tell the Pickit to read the chip?  Also, how long does it take after to tell it to write to fail?