Author Topic: EtherDongle programming  (Read 16515 times)

Offline Segull

Re: EtherDongle programming
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2013, »
Downloaded the hex file 2nd time to make sure it was not corrupted. I wish to use the DMX.
Should I try one of the others?

Takes about 3 Seconds when I try write after the Read. And Read gets same "operation failed"

Offline keitha43

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2013, »
What happens when you try to erase the chip? Also try it with the board power supply plugged in.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline Segull

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2013, »
Tried with power supply, tried Erase same message "operation failed".
sorry  :(

Joe

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Tried with power supply, tried Erase same message "operation failed".
sorry  :(

Joe
several people have had problems with the USB cable that comes with the PicKit.  Try swapping.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Segull

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2013, »
Funny you mention that, just tried it a minute ago  :( no results.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2013, »
Do y6u have any other devices like an Express or a SSC that you can program?  If it works with one of those, then we know that the Pickit is working.  If it can't program those either, then the issue is with the Pickit or the PC it is connected to.  It is much easier to debug when you have an idea where the problem may be.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline ghethco

« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2013, »
I know people are saying MATlab is somehow dangerous, but the procedure using MATlab that Rick posted worked for me.  I couldn't get the standalone app to work at all.  Segull has gotten farther with it than I did though.  YMMV.

Gary

Offline Segull

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2013, »
tbone, using my LE I successfully read the pic24.
Then when I tried the EtherDongle again I got "operation failed".

ghethco, I saw what you posted started, got a bit nervous, but may have to try cautiously anyway.

Thank you both.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2013, »
Once in a while some people have to use mplab and start to go through the motions until it detects it needs to download something. After it downloads the standalone program usually works.

Offline Segull

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2013, »
I tried the mplab and here is what I got:
I started it then got the Pk..45 then I plugged in the power supply and it showed

the target detected but then the error PK..35

its teasing me  ???

Thanks everyone, please post any other suggestions. I will keep trying, for now I gotta get some other things done. Thank all  :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, by Segull »

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2013, »
I've been watching this conversation for a while. I think that there is something wrong with the flow soldering of the pic. It could be a high resistance connection that is causing incorrect signal voltages to be presented back to the pic programmer or from the programmer to the pic. It could even be missing a ground and that would cause all kinds of strange data to make the programmer fail.

The pic may have to either be reflowed or someone with very good soldering equipment and surface mount soldering skill to redo each of the connections to the pic.

JMHO

Offline keitha43

« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2013, »
What about "tools" "download operating system" mentioned earlier in the thread. It is starting too look like a possible hardware problem. Maybe reheat all solder points. Then use toothbrush to remove solder splatter you may not have seen. Possibly look under high magnification at the pic chip. Warning there is a trace I think was on the bottom side of the pic toward the right side that looks like it is a short but it is a topside trace.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2013, »
I would stay away from the path of the solder job until there was no other options. His pic would have been installed by the assembly house and the failure rate would be pretty darn low. I have not seen one done by them back that was a solder issue as of this time. All of the issues were of the ones I installed or the people that did the first batch by hand.

Since there has been progress made keep looking at the other issues. once you start messing with the soldering job there is no going with these other possibles first.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2013, »
There is one other way if you have an ohm meter.

It is tedious and time consuming work but you could check continuity between the pic leads and associated traces. I would suggest using an ohm meter with clip leads and a straight pin to check the connections.

Just take your time and don't hurry the checking process.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2013, »
These error codes are pointing to voltage issues on the PIC.  The first error code "0045" is indicating that the PIC is not powered up.  The second error code is a read write error where in this case, the Pickit can see the PIC but is unable to get it to send its device ID.  This can also be caused by an incorrect voltage.  I would check the voltage regulators on the ETD and make sure that they are properly placed and soldered properly.  They are built to sink heat and do require a little more heat than a resistor to solder in.  Speaking of resistors, check them as well, especially the ones around the regulators and make sure that they are the correct values and soldered properly.  Since MPLAB gave the same results as the programming utility, it shows that the programming utility was working properly.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, by tbone321 »
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving