Author Topic: ssc v4 capacitor identification  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
ssc v4 capacitor identification
« on: August 09, 2013, »
I'm having problems understanding the .1uf and 10uf capacitor identification.

The manual says:

NOTE: This new version of the SSC uses parts that look similar but are different PLEASE pay attention to the part numbers on the bag and the silk screen on the board Example there are two different types of yellow capacitors but they look identical. One bag has:  Printed:  "581-SA102A100JAR"   Hand-written: "40"
The other bag has:  Hand-written: "40 KAR"

The PCB has .1uf  and 10pf.    (The bags and the PCB do not match. :( )
I searched online and got my answer that "581-SA102A100JAR" is Multilayer Ceramic Capacitors MLCC - Leaded 200volts 10pF 5% C0G
So, I have my answer. 

The manual should be updated to provide better hints about the capacitor identification.  MAYBE a comment up front that people should NOT dump parts out of the bags before reading the instructions below. :)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline ghethco

Re: ssc v4 capacitor identification
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, »
My SSCs arrived today and I'm so excited!!!  Got home and went straight to the soldering iron :-)

Steve, I discovered the same thing.  Even better advice is, "don't dump the parts out of the bags, period."  I've been taking parts out of the bags only as I need/use them.  It saved me in this case.

BTW, there is an error in the instructions for the SSC v4.  Steps 3 & 4, both the 330 ohm and 4.7k ohm resistors are identified as (yellow-violet-red).  The 330 should be (orange-orange-brown), right?  I'm going to update the wiki accordingly.

I have a little de-soldering job to do :-)

Gary

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, »
This is a PERFECT example why years ago RJ and I switched over from PDF assembly manuals to the wiki version when its easy for any member to correct mistakes and typos. You will see members crying that the manuals are not pdfs but if they were then it would take longer to fix and upload the manuals. Of course with a pdf they would not be editable by any member and only by the person who had the editable document.

{getting off my sandbox }

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, »
BTW, there is an error in the instructions for the SSC v4.  Steps 3 & 4, both the 330 ohm and 4.7k ohm resistors are identified as (yellow-violet-red).  The 330 should be (orange-orange-brown), right?  I'm going to update the wiki accordingly.

I've gotten into the habit of putting a meter on each new bag of resistors to make sure they match.

This is a PERFECT example why years ago RJ and I switched over from PDF assembly manuals to the wiki version when its easy for any member to correct mistakes and typos. You will see members crying that the manuals are not pdfs but if they were then it would take longer to fix and upload the manuals. Of course with a pdf they would not be editable by any member and only by the person who had the editable document.

I fully agree with the wiki, and the ability to edit pages to make adjustments.  I didn't do this yet for this issue because I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something and not completely off base with my discovery.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, »
Thanks guys for updating the wiki.

Of late the new manuals are being created off line and then a copy is giving to the beta team to check it out. They do a good job of finding most problems but we are all human and make mistakes or miss things.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline ghethco

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, »
My old english teacher used to say, "There is no such thing as writing.  Only re-writing."  :-)

You guys are doing a great job.  An amazing accomplishment considering no one is getting paid :-)

Like all my other hobbies, a labor of love.  I'm very familiar with the concept.  I'll try to help you guys out wherever I can.  I've actually noticed a lot less bitching and complaining on this site than some others I've frequented.  This group has a little of the Christmas spirit all year long I think :-)

Gary

Offline Pete

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, »
I am starting to assemble the V4 SSC's.

I have a delima . . . both capacitor bags are marked 64 KAR and have no other markings.  I can see the markings on the capacitors and can determine that each bag contains different parts.

Can someone help me identify what markings identify the .1uf and/or the 10uf caps?

Thanks,
Pete

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, »
What are the markings on the caps?  0.1uF would say 104.  A 10uF cap would say 106 but the notes in the manual say that they used a 4.7uF cap (marking would be 475) instead of the 10uF. 

If you are curious on the numbers, the first two are the value, and the last one is the multiplier, for the value in picofarads.  A cap labelled "475" would be 4700000 pF or 4.7 uF

/mike

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, »
If you are curious on the numbers, the first two are the value, and the last one is the multiplier, for the value in picofarads.  A cap labelled "475" would be 4700000 pF or 4.7 uF

/mike

Thank you Mike, as long as I've been building this stuff, I never knew what the numbers meant, I just thought it was a manufacturers number. Wow, you learn new stuff everyday, that's today's tidbit and it's something worth knowing, Thanks again Mike,

Bill

Offline Pete

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, »
Thank you Mike -

Form your reply this is what I think I understand (I copied the whole 2 line code off the cap):

[size=78%]     [/size]
    .1uf  =  RSC

10pf = R2R

Is this correct?

Pete

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, »
That is correct. 
/mike
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, by n1ist »