Author Topic: SSC v4 - Getting Started  (Read 2242 times)

Offline ghethco

SSC v4 - Getting Started
« on: August 10, 2013, »
I have assembled the SSC per instructions and programmed the PIC.  Now what?  There is reference to the Smart String Setup Utility, but it isn't obvious to me what this software is doing.  Also - it says to make sure to connect the SS pigtail to the "input" side of the SS.  Both leads coming out of the string look exactly the same except the exposed wires are slightly longer on one side.  Is that the input side?  That's what I have connected.

So, I connect everything.  Computer -> switch -> EtherDongle ->Pixelnet input on AH (Active Hub).  AH hub set to Universe #1 on all three jumpers.  DMX out connected to LE.  Smart String (128 nodes) -> SSC -> SS Output on AH.

I fire up the Smart String Utility.  It throws an exception on startup, not sure if that's a problem or not (first attachment).  Not sure what to do here.  (second attachment) Since I'm running DMX (LE), I assume the first 512 channels are for DMX, so I set the "Start Channel" to 513.  I set "Program with" to EtherDongle.  I set "Mode" to Individual Pixels, Direction to Forward, node count to 128, Smart String Device Type = "String".

I hit "Transmit".  (third attachment) The (normal) stings connected to the LE come on solid.  Nothing seems to be happening on the Smart String.  I waited for a bit thinking maybe it's going through all 512 DMX channels first, but it shouldn't do that should it?

A bit stumped at this point.  I tried going into xLights but didn't have much luck there either.

What's the best way to do a basic test of the SSC?

Gary

« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, by ghethco »

Offline ghethco

Re: SSC v4 - Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, »
I realized I left the two pin "Program" jumper in place after I programmed the PIC.  I disconnected the SS, moved the jumper to "off".  When I plugged the SS back in, all the nodes flashed briefly.  Otherwise nothing has changed.

Gary

Offline ghethco

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, »
Now when I start the SS Utility, it just throws an exception and does not appear to transmit, though the "Transmit" button is dimmed.  Nothing on any of the lights.  See attachment.

BTW, I'm not necessarily expecting someone out there to solve every problem for me.  I'm mainly posting because I think others will be likely to run into the same problems.  When I get things working I'll post what I did to get there.

Gary

Offline ghethco

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, »
I did figure out one thing.  The reason for the exceptions was that I didn't install the SS Setup Utility from the right place.  Start with the link in the wiki (1) and then update the exe with the new one (2).

Unfortunately this didn't get me to blinky flashy :-)  The DMX side is still working fine.

Gary

Offline drlucas

SSC v4 - Getting Started
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, »
There is a good video I believe in the wiki from RJ that shows how to program the smart strings. It's like 15min long and gave me what I needed for the dumb string programming even though it was all about the smart strings. The blinking of your lights is a good thing :)

-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline ghethco

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, »
Watched the video (I've watched it before) and followed the procedure.  I don't think it was any different from what I was doing before.  However, I also checked the board over and added some solder on the top side of the board in a few places where the top pad didn't get fully contacted.

BLINKY FLASHY!!!

:-)

Gary

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, »
I'm trying to get my v4 kits running too.
I'm a little frustrated by not having the test firmware available for v4. :(
the smart string utility is also a point of confusion.  I thought there was a new version that allows different color orders, RGB, RBG, BGR, BRG, GBR, GRB  that is used with zeus but also used with the SSCs.
when I drop the exe into my install directory it shows version 1.0 so unless the help/about didn't get update, I don't know that the link is correct.
still searching...
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline dcwehw99

• Beta Tester
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, »
Steve,
The new version of the Smart String Utility hasn't been released yet.  It's still in beta with the Zeus firmware.  It should be available soon.  We've in the last stage of testing.

The firmware for the SSC still needs to be updated to support all color options and then tested though.

Denny

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Steve,
The new version of the Smart String Utility hasn't been released yet.  It's still in beta with the Zeus firmware.  It should be available soon.  We've in the last stage of testing.

The firmware for the SSC still needs to be updated to support all color options and then tested though.

Denny
should the latest available utility still show version 1.00?
I'm seeing strange stuff, for BOTH v3 and v4, when I hit the "Transmit" button, the lights start to flash.  When I hit "Stop", the lights continue to flash.  (...that seems odd)

When I move over to xLights I again see the same behavior for BOTH v3 and v4 -- NOTHING happens.  I am using a pixelnet USB dongle, and I see the green LED on the dongle flashing.  but nothing with the pixels.

I've successfully used the v3 dongle before, but I just changed the firmware from test to standard -- hence the need to run the utility to set the start channel.

Since I have blinky during the programming operation, I think it shows the kits are working, including PIC and 485 chip.  Because the utility still shows version 1.00 and it doesn't stop flashing with the "Stop" button -- I suspect that the start channel is not really getting set.  (yes, the program jumper is ON during channel set, and OFF for xLights.)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, »
Yeah RJ is a bit lax on updating the version numbers in his software. The version I have says that the Date Modified is 4/14/2013 7:43pm if that helps. But to answer your question Yes it says ver 1.00

The lights continue to flash until you remove power. Its always been that way.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, »
Yeah RJ is a bit lax on updating the version numbers in his software. The version I have says that the Date Modified is 4/14/2013 7:43pm if that helps. But to answer your question Yes it says ver 1.00

Rick R.
The updated EXE file for the utility contained in the zip is dated:  "Sunday, ‎September ‎30, ‎2012, ‏‎8:12:28 PM"

It is newer than the EXE in the installer... but its not the same as your file dated 4/14/2013.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, »

Rick R.
The updated EXE file for the utility contained in the zip is dated:  "Sunday, ‎September ‎30, ‎2012, ‏‎8:12:28 PM"

The Sept 30 is the same as the "new file" for the SSC v3 mods. Maybe his newer one is a beta? You might try the "color finder" app in the Wiki as I believe it sends data out all channels in case you have a configuration problem in xlights.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, »

The Sept 30 is the same as the "new file" for the SSC v3 mods. Maybe his newer one is a beta? You might try the "color finder" app in the Wiki as I believe it sends data out all channels in case you have a configuration problem in xlights.

I don't think I have the beta version. Since I am not doing the Zeus beta I haven't download that version. I might just be when I got the file from RJ.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, »

Rick R.

color finder proved the v3 and v4 kits are working properly! 

thanks keith, and thanks rick!
...now to figure out the problem with xLights.  :-[

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, »
too many fumes yesterday... :)
after uninstalling xLights and reinstalling to the same problem, I realized I was making the same mistake...  I set the USB protocol type to DMX and not Pixelnet.  <fp.

Changed it to Pixelnet and everything is great again.  Thanks for your help!
Now to finish off the remaining 19 v4s ! :)