Author Topic: 3 conductor wire for SS  (Read 1098 times)

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
3 conductor wire for SS
« on: August 12, 2013, »
I have lots of stranded 18AWG 3 conductor cable that I would like to use instead of purchasing the following, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  Would the higher gauge cause any issues?  Anyone done this before?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline caretaker

Re: 3 conductor wire for SS
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, »
I have lots of stranded 18AWG 3 conductor cable that I would like to use instead of purchasing the following, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  Would the higher gauge cause any issues?  Anyone done this before?
Simply No.  Higher gauge wire will not just allow more current (amps) to flow through it.  Although if you went to to large of a wire it could be a pain to work with but with your 18 awg I see no problems.
Jeff Squires

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, »
18 AWG will be fine and will have lower voltage drops than 20 AWG

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, »
you already mentioned that you're using stranded, but just mentioning for the people months and years from now stumbling upon this to use stranded wire to try to keep your conductors from breaking.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, »
you already mentioned that you're using stranded, but just mentioning for the people months and years from now stumbling upon this to use stranded wire to try to keep your conductors from breaking.
and, we are told that stranded is better because the strands have more surface area than solid -- and electrons travel on the surface of the wire.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, »
Skin effect (electrons travelling on the surface) only applies at much higher frequencies than we use.  For DC, resistance is the important factor.  The preference for stranded is only for flexibility.
/mike

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, »
Thanks for the replies, it's what I was thinking but nice to get a second opinion.