Author Topic: Finally proficient with Audacity Timing Marks and xLights/Nutcracker import  (Read 3419 times)

Offline JonB256

• My website
Total time spent, less than 5 minutes.

I was listening to Emerson Lake Palmer's version of Aaron Copland's "Fanfare for the Common Man"  and I decided to run it through the Audacity "onset" filter for timing marks. The Note Onset detector is part of the Analyze functions you get in Audacity after correctly installing the VAMP utilities.

The whole musicial piece is almost 10 minutes long.
The Onset analyze created 2568 timing marks. This took about 30 seconds. Be sure to Export Labels with a better (valid) name than Audacity gives it.

So I created a new xLights sequence from my MP3, chose Audacity so it would import the timings, then filled my 72x54 matrix with Random effects.  Another 2 or 3 minutes.

and was blown away with the perfect (but rapid) timings.

here is part of it shot of the Preview screen in xLights using my phone camera. (I got tired of holding my phone and at the end the dogs started barking :( )

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, by JonB256 »

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline JonB256

• My website
Sean, I went back to the actual Aaron Copland version and found that Note Onset wasn't that helpful.

I was needing to "move" a lot of the onset points, then realized that just moving them left or right was NOT doing anything. I had to look down at the Time counter (minutes and milliseconds) to get the correct time, then edit the Onset pointer.

That, of course, led me to creating my own timing marks, which isn't hard but could be time consuming, since all you are doing is adding "text notations" in the label track. It just happens that if the Text is Seconds.Milliseconds, then xLights can use them.

Have you ever found a shortcut to delete extraneous timing marks in the Audacity Label track?

Offline Rich Renn

• Renn's Lights for Charity
WOW that looks great

Richard

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
Amazing.

I can just imagine the things that are getting ready to happen because of what the xlights/nutcracker developers have provided.

Wow.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, by PJNMCT »
Leesburg, FL