Author Topic: cutting smart strings  (Read 2503 times)

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
cutting smart strings
« on: August 18, 2013, »
When making my arches I thought I would use 75 nodes on a 10' piece of PVC. Well after trying to do this, its way to many nodes. Here's my question. I've already set the ssc for 75 nodes, if I cut the strings do I need to re pick-it the controller for the correct amount of nodes? Or does this matter as long as the start channel matches the controller.
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline JonB256

• My website
Re: cutting smart strings
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, »
You do not need to change it.

Galaxy Note II

Offline keitha43

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, »
FYI the pick-it isn't where the nodes are configured. The smart string utility is where number of nodes, start channel and such are configured. In case someone new to smart strings comes across this thread.

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, »
I new that was the right answer but I wanted to hear it to confirm. Yesterday when I reconfigured the arch channels, the 3rd and 4rth arch didn't work. But the first 70 worked on the first 2 strings. Ive scratched my head so much I'm going bald.
 arch 1 -  35 nodes
 arch 2 -  35 nodes
  I haven't cut the other 40 nodes off the strings.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, »
IIRC, and it has been a while, the flex strips have to be cut at specific points or the remainder of the strip will not light.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, »
Im using smart strings only.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, »
Oh, sorry abou that.  You may need to bring up the smart string utility and reconfigure the SSC's to work with the new number of nodes and to have the correct starting address.  If the nodes blink when the smart string utility programs them, then you will know that the strings are ok.  What are you using to test them?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, »
Are you planning on running all 4 arches on the same SSC?  The limit with the SSC is 128 nodes.  Based on how I'm reading this you would have 140 nodes you're trying to use for all 4 arches.

Also, you may want to check to make sure the nodes of the cut strings are soldered with the chip facing the SSC side of the string. 
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, »
4 arches w/ 4 SSC'S .. 35 nodes per arch.

Offline drlucas

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, »
Are your arches far apart from each other? I'm hoping I can get my three arches all off of one SSC. 40 nodes each (3" apart). Then I'm likely going to have about 6-9" of wire between the arches. I'm hoping that gives me the ability to fold the three arches together to move/store for the offseason. I haven't really thought that one through much yet.....hmmmm.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, »
They will be close together. I started out having 75 nodes per. But after trying to put them on the pipe, it was too much for the pipe. So I decided to cut them down. I left them with their own controller. I could change it. Still not sure yet.

Offline drlucas

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, »
Check out my other post.... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login links to my vimeo video...i drilled the holes and put the nodes through it. was a bit of work, but so far it's looking decent.
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Are your arches far apart from each other? I'm hoping I can get my three arches all off of one SSC. 40 nodes each (3" apart). Then I'm likely going to have about 6-9" of wire between the arches. I'm hoping that gives me the ability to fold the three arches together to move/store for the offseason. I haven't really thought that one through much yet.....hmmmm.
You could still use the 3 wire waterproof connectors between them, that would let you take them apart for moving around or putting into storage.  On my pixel tree which uses a flexstrip going up and down zip tied to 1/2" emt I cut them in half and put a 3 pin waterproof connector between them because 1. flexstrips don't turn 180 deg and still face forward and 2. because it is easier to store, repair, build, etc.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline drlucas

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, »
You are right....and since I tried to buy 5 (because Ray only sells them in that lot size - without me asking him) for my 27channel controller (gave up waiting for more DSCs so - I'm going to use my 3 DSCs for a different use - mini trees i think) and for whatever reason I ended up getting 25 pig tails....anyways, I have LOTS to use, so i'm definitely going to do that with these. great idea. THANK YOU!!
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
When making my arches I thought I would use 75 nodes on a 10' piece of PVC. Well after trying to do this, its way to many nodes. Here's my question. I've already set the ssc for 75 nodes, if I cut the strings do I need to re pick-it the controller for the correct amount of nodes? Or does this matter as long as the start channel matches the controller.
As mentioned, the firmware does not need to be changed.
Also, you don't NEED to readjust the string length in the smart string utility -- but I'd recommend doing so.
I suspect that the number of pixels that are generated on the smart string data line are directly related to the length specified in the utility.  If you only have 5 pixels, but have 128 configured, then the SSC generates 128*3 channels of data.   This extra work might affect your refresh rates... 50ms should work, but maybe you'd be able to use faster rates with a smaller pixel configuration.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro