Author Topic: 20A input or 15A input?  (Read 1781 times)

Offline masterelectrician2112

20A input or 15A input?
« on: August 18, 2013, »
Hey guys,

For the extension cords running to each of the 2 power inputs on my LEs, should I be trying to use 12 gauge 20A extension cords or is the regular 14 gauge 15A extension cord adequate?  Each of my LEs will be pretty loaded up.

Offline Rich Renn

• Renn's Lights for Charity
Re: 20A input or 15A input?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, »
This is what I went with

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Richard

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, »
Depends on what your power draw is,  I only use LEs out in the yard and because of the distance from the outlet I use 12ga extension cords amd I run more than one LE on each 12ga cord.  I have 4 LEs on my megatree and only run 1 single 14 ga extension cord to it, but I only have one string of LEDs on each channel and the tree is pretty close to the outlet.  I cut back to only one input cord per LE with a jumper from the left side to the right side on the board since my power draw per LE was way under the max allowed.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, »
I just run two different 13A (less expensive) extension cords if I have more than 13A total on the LE.  Other wise I run one extension cord and split it at the end and plug both power plugs into it.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, »
Depends on what your power draw is,  I only use LEs out in the yard and because of the distance from the outlet I use 12ga extension cords amd I run more than one LE on each 12ga cord.  I have 4 LEs on my megatree and only run 1 single 14 ga extension cord to it, but I only have one string of LEDs on each channel and the tree is pretty close to the outlet.  I cut back to only one input cord per LE with a jumper from the left side to the right side on the board since my power draw per LE was way under the max allowed.

+1... depends on what you're using the LE's to control.  If you have all LEDs you can get away with a higher gauge/lighter duty cord.
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline FireMedic4Christ

20A input or 15A input?
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, »
I've never used more than the 14g 40' cords from the big box stores on my LEs and LORs. Even when I was 100% incandescent, I never had issues. Now that I am almost all LED, I do like taybrynn and plug both controller cords into a triple tap and then on an extension cord.

Offline rm357

20A input or 15A input?
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, »
Add up the current draw of everything connected to the LE. If you are more than 80% of what the extension cord is rated to carry, you are in dangerous territory.

Pretty loaded up means different things to different people.
A 500 watt light fixture draws a lot more power than 10 strings of 50 LEDs.

Raw amps is all that matters.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, »
To me, it depends on where the cord is.  If it's out in the middle of the yard then I really don't worry much about it.  As long as it doesn't get hot, especially at the outlet or plug, it's good to go.  If they are near the house or plugged into the distribution panel, then they need to be at ambient temp and if I feel any heat, they are either upgraded or the load is distributed over more cords. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, »
I've never used more than the 14g 40' cords from the big box stores on my LEs and LORs. Even when I was 100% incandescent, I never had issues. Now that I am almost all LED, I do like taybrynn and plug both controller cords into a triple tap and then on an extension cord.

You know you can wire both sides of the LE to run on one plug, right?  It may help you plug in more stuff!  LOL.

On the 2 LEs I added last year I used the female ends (and 2 male ends - one for each LE) of the $1 extension cords from Dollar Tree.  Granted, I knew I would only have 1 string of 100 incans on each channel so I wasn't too concerned about power draw or over loading a circuit.
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login