Author Topic: The Final Verdict: side entry ip66 or back entry ip68  (Read 886 times)

Offline masterelectrician2112

Hello,

With this thread, I hope to be able to clear up some of my (and maybe others') confusions.  I have read the threads about Ray's pixels, but I am having trouble coming to a final decision.  For my megatree, I would rather use ip66 side entry pixels like these: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I emailed Ray and he recommended these that are rear entry and rated ip68: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

So what does everybody think?  Should I go for the less expensive IP66 and also get the advantage of side entry, but risk the wind and rain?  They pass the bucket test, but someone on here said that may not be a definitive test.  Or should I go for the IP68 which is more expensive and rear entry, but have the peace of mind that they will stand the weather?

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: The Final Verdict: side entry ip66 or back entry ip68
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, »
Depends on how much of a risk taker you are.  I would probably order a string of each immediately and then try them out yourself.  The last thing you want is to start up a great display and then have it shut down due to equipment failure.  That's my 2 pennies worth.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline barbotte

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, »
well let see my point of view .. they are 2 cent difference between the 2 lol .... now its all depend ho many you need / want .... as for better choice those one are more waterproff and better as they were desing by a member on acl who was tire of the poor chinees quality ip rating .... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
more money but ... might last longueur and they have the end connector attache to them ..also in case you were not aware ..you can ask ray any length you wants at no extra cost ... cheer

Offline keitha43

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, »
Stay away from ip66. Nothing but trouble when it rains. I would read through this thread You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login I would try the tm 1804 version and not the ws2811. I believe Steve Gase is going to be trying some and another member said his sample string worked. Order a sample yourself to try if you like what your are reading.

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Stay away from ip66. Nothing but trouble when it rains.

+1000.   Save up your money and purchase the best quality IP68 nodes.  Cheap/IP66=bad news.

:) joe
"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)