Author Topic: What TM2811 pixel nodes have you tried out?  (Read 932 times)

Offline combustionmark

What TM2811 pixel nodes have you tried out?
« on: August 19, 2013, »
SO I decided to try out a different pixel node that isn't offered in tm1804, and was wondering what other 2811's modules have been tried?

I ordered a set of
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
A bit pricey, but I like.

Not only is this a 2811 module, it is 24 volt. I am supplying the 24 volts after the SSC "power injection", and WOW these look good. They have 2 circuit boards with 12 RGB led's on each.

The only thing I don't like so far, The water proofing could be better, I guess I will have to buy some silicone, and seal them myself. The interesting thing, this is a double sided module, and I could split them in half and have 2 single sided stars.

So far my testing has been good, smooth dimming, no flickering, and bright. I have had them on for about an hour now, with no problems.

I also ordered some
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Haven't tried them out yet. I plan on modifying them, that's why not waterproof. I want some 5mm nodes.
Have Fun!

Offline combustionmark

Re: What TM2811 pixel nodes have you tried out?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, »
Wow I have been playing with the 14mm 2811 non waterproof pixels. I have replaced about 300 of the 14mm leds with 5mm leds, A lot easier than it sounds. While testing I found that they now draw more current, still within the smaller led specs, and run a bit warmer. I tested 50 of the modified pixels, full white, with an ambient temperature of 120F for 24 hours and had no failures.

Cool things I figured out!!

The pcb is smaller than the one in a tm1804, fewer components, only has 5 components. led, ws2811, 2 caps, and a vreg.
The pcb has its own 5 volt regulator, and will operate fine on 10-16 volts, What I see across two 6 Volt batteries on my Cushman.

Really cool things I figured out!!

Smart string controller to a tm1804 to a ws2811 works. Expected.
Smart string controller to a tm1804 to a ws2811 to a tm1804 works. Supprized.
Smart string controller to a tm1804 to a ws2811 to a tm1804, etc, etc,,, works. Don't know for sure how many times you can mix?

On the ToDo

Freeze them for at least 4 hours at -20, fingers crossed. I can get down to -40, but might not try.
Test distance between 2 mixed pixels.
Build Build Build.
Have Fun!

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: What TM2811 pixel nodes have you tried out?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, »
thanks for sharing, that is great information!

...you've been busy!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro