Author Topic: FM Transmitter  (Read 11070 times)

Offline BryanV

FM Transmitter
« on: March 25, 2009, »
Has anyone used a reliable transmitter for your displays.  I would like to run something that has about 200-300 ft range and isn't too expensive.
Let me know.
Thanks,
Bryan
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline bugless

Re: FM Transmitter
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, »
Check out this web site.  I haven't tried them but I have built a couple of their other kits.

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, »
Bryan:

On the Canakit -- I've built others of their kits, though not an FM transmitter -- I would only consider a phased-locked loop (PLL) stereo version, which when you go for "isn't too expensive" pretty much puts you with the CK555 or UK555 (and they're out of CKs and if you're buying it assembled anyway, then I'd spring for the extra $5 and get a UX555 with case and antenna).

If you're ambitious (your own etching, etc.) you could go with a Pira.cz design, which TimY (wvengineer) has documented over at DIYC -- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login -- that's going to cost you about $80 when you're done too.

\dmc

Offline tconley

• Conley Family Christmas
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, »
Why not just do something like this?

Pinky, are you pondering what I am pondering?

I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, »

Well, that auction ended, but here's the current one:

It looks pretty good, but people have reported problems with some of the transmitters purchased from HK via eBay.

Last year at this time the milliwatt Vastelec transmitters were deemed unworkable, though the 1-watter was OK (that's the one I got). Personally, I wouldn't buy a transmitter from HK on eBay unless somebody else had bought the same model from the same seller and told me it worked, but that's just me.

Then again, it's $42 (with shipping), versus the Canakit, which would be $80 with shipping (also, the Canakit is limited to transmitting on only one of 14 presets, while the HK can be set to any freq on the band).

Tough call. Glad it's not mine ;-) ...

\dmc

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, »
I have one of the vastelec 200mw from last year.  It worked great, I'd be happy to have another one.

I have not seen anybody test the one you have listed though.

Ron

Offline 51fordf2

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, »

I've got one of these, as well as the 5 watt from them, I used (basically tested with my dipole) for about an hour. I went a different direction, so would let you have them for the cost, and I'll pay shipping to lower 48 - $54 for .5 watt, $55 for 5 watt (SWR meter shows about 2 actual watts).

They're not bad although a little noisy, I just decided to go with a home-made transmitter, just cuz I like the "DIY" side of the hobby. I also recommend a dipole, as opposed to the antenna that comes with the .5 watt. MUCH better.

my email is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

R
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, by 51fordf2 »

Offline Murl

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, »
Sorry to chime in late, but I'm surprised nobody suggested the Belkin Tunecast II.  I think they're still available at Walmart for around $20.  If not, they're available on Ebay for $10-$20.  There's a popular mod you can do to extend the range by adding a piece of wire as an external antenna.  I've been using one for several years now, and it reaches about a block in each direction - more than enough for my little yard.

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, »
Sorry to chime in late, but I'm surprised nobody suggested the Belkin Tunecast II.  I think they're still available at Walmart for around $20.  If not, they're available on Ebay for $10-$20.  There's a popular mod you can do to extend the range by adding a piece of wire as an external antenna.  I've been using one for several years now, and it reaches about a block in each direction - more than enough for my little yard.

Could you provide some details on this?  I am needing to get a transmitter and am researching options.

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline b_legg

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, »
Found a pretty good how-to here:

Brian

If it ain't broke, just gimme a minute!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, »
The tunecaster with the mod seem to work well for some and not for others. It really is a hit and miss. I myself tried that route early on and with all my knowledge for radios and antennas (K4ROB advanced class) I never got it to work well. On the other hand I have found people who have and who also were not able to get good results.

I ended up going with a Ramsey FM25B and while it is more money you can not beat the solid performance of it. That is another option.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Murl

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, »
Here's another link for the Belkin mod:

As RJ said, not everyone has had good luck with the Belkin so your mileage may vary, but it's worked fine for me.  One thing to keep in mind, is that the wire should be cut to the proper length so your new antenna is tuned for the frequency you want to use.  Longer isn't better.  Here's a link that will help you figure out the correct length:

edit:  Found another link you might be interested in.  This isn't my video, but it's about the same reception I get:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, by Murl »

Offline Blackbeard

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, »
Has anyone tried modifying any of the other Tunecast models (original or III)?

steve

Offline budude

• OK - onto 2012!
    • Christmas in San Jose
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, »
I got the EDM LCD transmitter (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) - worked perfectly for me. A bit pricey perhaps but it had a super clean stereo sound and it covered my area great (and that was at the lower power settings). The power is adjustable from 1 - 100mW (!) so you have to watch you're not going overboard. It comes as a "kit" but really it's only like 2 parts to install (probably some customs thing as it comes from South Africa as "electronic parts").

Brian

Offline tpctech

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, »
I am using a commercial FM modulator used for cable TV systems.  They can found on ebay from time to time for about $100.  I run mine into a J-pole antenna that I made with 1/2" copper pipe.  My antenna is up by my house about 200ft from the road. It works real good across my 200ft of frontage.

good luck!

KEN

Link to manual.  I have also modified it to use the pz RDS encoder.