Author Topic: Zeus Z8 vs Z16 differences  (Read 3361 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Zeus Z8 vs Z16 differences
« on: August 27, 2013, »
Can anyone who has seen the Z8 and Z16 describe any key differences, if any.

I can already guess one is 8 jacks vs. 16 jacks ... but are there any other differences,
or is it just less parts for the Z8 ?

Thx,
Scott
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
Re: Zeus Z8 vs Z16 differences
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, »
Main difference is the 8 does not have the ATX power supply connector. It only has the 2 wire positive and negative terminal. As far as operation everything else is there same.

Offline gophergrove

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, »
So if you needed 20 or 24 strings in one location you could put a z16 and z8 in one box with one power supply and feed the z8 power from the z16?  This is assuming the ATX power supply is large enough for the number of strings.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, »
Hi All

I just added two pictures to the wiki equipment page for the Zeus Family

I am not ready for the assembly manuals but they are mostly done and will be posted soon.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, »
Like Roger said the 16 takes power from a pc power supply and the 8 takes it from a 12v power source.  With some wiring from your pc supply I don't see why you couldn't but I probably wouldn't though.

Offline gophergrove

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, »
I was hoping the z16 would have the 12v port like the current active hub does (option) but looking at the picture it doesn't so powering the z8 from the z16 isn't a reality.

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, »
You can always use the unused connectors from the pc power supply, just have to look for the 12 volt yellow wires and black 0 volt wires.
Have Fun!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, »
You can always use the unused connectors from the pc power supply, just have to look for the 12 volt yellow wires and black 0 volt wires.

Yes this is correct. I was attempting to keep the controllers cheap as I could and since this was the case I did not see a requirment to add another connector which would make the pcb larger ($$) and add an expensive connector. It is alway a matter of compromises.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, »

Yes this is correct. I was attempting to keep the controllers cheap as I could and since this was the case I did not see a requirment to add another connector which would make the pcb larger ($$) and add an expensive connector. It is alway a matter of compromises.

RJ
If we use the PC power supplies, will we then need to "jumper" or permanently connect the "power" wire?  (this is done for us in your original 16-port hubs)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline gophergrove

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, »

Good idea, thanks.  And thanks RJ for confirming.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, »
No if you use a 16 it hooks up just like a hub. If you use a 8 it hooks up just like a 4 port passive hub.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tmcteer

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, »
L