Author Topic: mapping controllers to multi-string elements  (Read 841 times)

Offline ghethco

mapping controllers to multi-string elements
« on: September 01, 2013, »
I've been playing with LSP and my smart strings.  I've watched *a lot* of instructional videos and I still can't figure this part out.  They show a lot of demos on how to make matrices, megatrees, etc in the software and display them in the preview.  What I *haven't* seen and can't yet figure out is how to map the controllers to these elements so that what you see on the actual light strings matches what you see in the preview.

First of all, I'd rather not have to use a physical controller for every string.  In a 10 x 10 matrix or megatree, that means you have to use 10 physical controllers.  With me so far?

When you add controllers to the sequence, you don't have any control over the order of the channels, at least not that I can see.  That was the first thought I had, just reverse the channels on every other "virtual" string (down, up).  For example, you could make a matrix 4 x 32 using just one physical controller, but break it into 4 strings of 32 "virtual" controllers and build a matrix out of that.  So, you can't do it this way.

I then tried just mapping one software controller to the physical controller (128 nodes) and then turn it into a matrix when I do the "draw controller image" step.  I did that and it doesn't seem to work either.  I made a 2 x 64 matrix out of it, and then did a chase across it, but it still just did the chase starting at node 1 and going through node 128.

Am I missing something?  Do I have to just bite the bullet and plan to use one physical controller per string?  If this is the case, I may be short on controllers for what I want to do.

Gary
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, by ghethco »

Offline caretaker

Re: mapping controllers to multi-string elements
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, »
Well there are several ways you can do this here is mine:
For my Mega Tree I use 16 strings of of 60 pixels so I create a controller for every string (Smart String Controller)
Then I create a layer called "Mega Tree" and add all those controllers to that layer.  If you watch any of the videos from Fast Eddy he creates Layers for all his elements of his display which makes it easier to program You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login has a list of some of his videos plus others.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login