Author Topic: Etherdongle Problem  (Read 1881 times)

Offline patranjo

Etherdongle Problem
« on: September 02, 2013, »
I have an Etherdongle from the first coop that I have just put together.  I have the Etherdongle hooked to my router alone with my laptop, then the active hub hooked to the Etherdongle.  Connected to the hub I have 5 ssc v4s with strip leds.  I have programed everything and all went well, but when I try programming the ssc with the ssc utility it just says transmitting and hangs there with no blinky.  The activity light on the Etherdongle comes on when it is transmitting but nothing like I said no blinky.  I have checked and double checked my solder work all all looks well.  I have checked my firewall settings on the router as well as the laptop and disabled them both.  The router is not connected to the internet.  The pic on the Etherdongle seems to get a little hot. Is this normal?  I am at a lose. I don't know where to go from here.

Thanks,

Joey

Offline caretaker

Re: Etherdongle Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, »
OK here is some things to check/test:
Does the MAGjack Yellow led come on and the green one blink/flicker when you send data?
Do you have any DMX equipment you can test to make sure the Ether Dongle is transmitting to the Hub (I am presuming it is a active hub)
The PIC shouldn't get hot, the regulators yes PIC no...
You said this was from the First coop, if you mean the very first Etd coop then hold your Etd up to the light and check the traces for the PIC, only one should have a bridge.
Check this out: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
And this: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
And this: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
DON'T try touching up your PIC your self unless you have SMD soldering experience....  Trust me on this one! 
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline FireMedic4Christ

Etherdongle Problem
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, »
I haven't put my version 4 SSC together yet, but the previous ones had a jumper that needed to be added when programming.

Brian

Offline keitha43

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, »
And did you close the jumper on the ssc before using the ssc utility? And set the utility to etherdongle mode and the correct lights? Make sure you are in the input side of the light strip and not the output.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline patranjo

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, »
Well after much trial and error I finally got the blinky flashy.  The problem was the pickit 3 software.  I originally downloaded version 3 and all looked like it worked, but I guess it wasn't.  I read in another post to try version 1 so I downloaded it and at first it could not see my pickit 3. I then downloaded the complete matlab ide and reprogramed the pickit 3 from there, this let the version 1 standalone program see my pickit 3. I then was able to reprogram the pic on the Etherdongle, hub, and sscs.  LIGHTS!!! AWESOME!!!

Thanks

Joey

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, »
We are seeing a lot of this lately. the pickit 3 can show it is programming OK but does not and you need to update it to get it to really work. You are far from the first member that has been led a stray because of this.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying