Author Topic: Dropped SSC  (Read 992 times)

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
Dropped SSC
« on: September 03, 2013, »
So I had a clumsy moment  <fp. and I accidentally dropped a v4 ssc (finished board in the pvc) and now it doesn't respond to programing.  It did work ok before I dropped it.  I've tried reflowing joints/re-flashing the pic (flashes ok) and it still doesn't go.  Thoughts on what I broke part wise or what else I can look at?

Thanks
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
Re: Dropped SSC
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, »
Maybe an ESD event?
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline caretaker

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, »
First thing go over the board with a magnifying glass and make sure there are no cracks in the PC board.  Start with the simplest things and go from there (IE chips not seated in socket tight, etc.
Jeff Squires

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, »
I would make sure that you didn't unseat the PIC or the 485 chip.  You may have a bent pin on one of those IC's that was just making a connection before the board was jarred causing the component to move.  The easiest way to tell is to remove the chips and check the pins.  If they went in straight, then they should come out the same way.  If you remove a chip and it has a bent pin, that was your problem.  Just straighten the pin and put the chip back into its socket and be carefull.  They have some tolerance for bending the pins but they will only tolerate so much before they will break off.  If you reflashed the PIC and it took, I would look more at the 485 chip.  The only component on that board that can be really sensitive to shock is the crystal and even there, that board is so light that I really don't see much of a significant shock just dropping it.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
Dropped SSC
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, »
Ok thanks ill try looking at the chips, ill try swapping also and will report back.

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, »
I tried reseating the chips to the same result.  I also tried swapping both chips and I get the same result.  Going to guess its the crystal like you mentioned.  Ill have to order an extra next time I order to try that.  Well lesson learned for me  :-[

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, »
The crystal would be the easiest thing to damage in an impact. They shatter if they get enough G force from impact. I would try changing that and it likely will resolve your problems. PCBS themselfs are tougher than you think.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying