Author Topic: can't get desktop icon to appear  (Read 3446 times)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
can't get desktop icon to appear
« on: September 09, 2013, »
can't get a desktop icon to appear on my desktop so that I can just fire up the vixen plus  program. I have the file folder but not the program icon
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: can't get desktop icon to appear
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, »
In the file folder, right click on the program, then select send to, click on "Desktop (create a shortcut)"  You can do this send to for lots of stuff you want on your desktop even create a shortcut to a particular file folder.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline kenoman742

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, »
Sometimes the "Send to - Desktop(create shortcut)" is not an available option. In that case just right click on the .exe file and select "Create shortcut". The shortcut will be created in the same folder as the .exe file. Just grab the shortcut and drag it to your desktop.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, »
ok, so I went to .exe file, clicked and dragged it to the desktop to give me the vixen+ icon. when I click on it, it wants to create the data file. I create the data file and put it on my desktop, the file shows up on the desktop but before the program opens,  it brings up an error message. if I just click on the .exe file in the folder in my downloads page, it lets me get to the program and create a sequence. this is the error message that was sent to a crash note pad on my desktop.

ersion 0.1.245.1
9/10/2013 11:00:51 PM
Is Terminating? True
Could not load file or assembly 'fmod, Version=0.0.1.180, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
   at VixenPlus.MusicPlayer..ctor()
   at VixenPlus.Host..ctor(Form hostForm)
   at VixenPlus.VixenPlusForm..ctor(IEnumerable`1 args)
   at VixenPlus.Program.Main(String[] args)
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline scharbon

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, »
From what you wrote, you clicked and dragged the executable to your desktop.  The idea was to click, create the shortcut, and drag the shortcut to the desktop.  Not sure if you did it incorrectly or wrote what you did incorrectly.  The error you are getting sounds like you did it incorrectly because the .exe is looking for all of those files in its root directory.  If you moved the .exe, it is no longer in its root directory.

If you actually created the icon and moved that and still get that error, you might be better off going to the Vixen+ forum for help.

Steve

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, »
Never ever drag an exe file to the desktop.  It will inevitably lead to things not working.  Only drage shortcuts - they have a little arrow on them.  Drag the icon you put on the desktip back to the folder it belongs in.  then go back and read the solutions above carefully.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline macebobo

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, »
You should be able to create a shortcut using the right-click...send to desktop method that jnealand posted above.  That error can also occur if you download the wrong version for your system.  There is a 32 bit version and a 64 bit version due to the audio library I am using (FMOD) - A quick way to test this is to see if you can run the program from the original location, if you don't get that error, then it is probably indeed that the .exe file was moved.

-- John
E-mail for Vixen+ support to: support at vixenplus dot com