Author Topic: SSh....don't tell the wife, but planning my next Smart String purchase...  (Read 1696 times)

Offline pokey

Folks,

I currently own 18 of the original 75 node smart strings.  I've got a little budget so am getting ready to invest in more.  With all the talk of some of the newer strings/chipsets, and SSCv4 (I've got 16 of these to assemble), should I be looking at some of the newer options, or stick with the strings linked in the Wiki?

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Good question, because I also need to order some more "stuff" and I am thinking about the WS8211 string for use with my SSC v4s.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Just remember the more you mix and match ... Performance characteristics can and do differ.   I'm a big proponent in the KISS principle.   You end up with consistency which is worth a lot.   I stay with 1804 because I don't want a huge variety to worry about or potentially mess me up down the road compatibility wise.   Just an opinion.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
I also think it depends on what you want to build/add to your layout.  It seems like there is a node type/string/strip for just about anything you want to do.
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
If you already have a solution for mounting, you want the string lengths to match the old... then get the old strings.

If you get the new and don't like them, you'll likely find someone who'd be willing to trade. :)

For me, the ability of the new lights to handle tension makes them a better choice -- if you are satisfied with the waterproofing on the old lights.

I'm still waiting for my new lights to arrive, but I think the extra cost in getting the TM180x chips in the Technicolor strings is a safer choice than jumping into the WS2811 lights...  its one few issue to worry about.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline pokey

I think I'll use my old strings to start replacing normal light strings - boxing out windows and lining gutters.  New strings will be used to build a matrix and/or mega tree.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
I would not mix string types within an element such as a mega tree or just part of my eaves, but in my case I am going to replace my incan arches using flexstrips and I am willing to experiment with the WS2811.  That is one of the reasons I bought some SSC V4 in the last coop.  The fact that they are cheaper also gives me some motivation for trying something new.  Might even try a small message board (matrix) if I have enough time.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline arw01

Timely topic, as I need to order the initial stash of LED Strings, and would prefer to be on the latest and greatest.  So would someone mind pm'ing what the latest and greatest is?  not sure I want to order from China, might pay a few extra dollars to have someone in the States to talk to about them.

I've got the SS4 and the DSC co-ops from this year, the active hub and passive hub from this year, a pair of Lynx SE's, and the Zeues co-op going now.

Last time I checked the Wiki, only one link worked, and then it was a grab bag on ebay of what might and what might not work!

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Timely topic, as I need to order the initial stash of LED Strings, and would prefer to be on the latest and greatest.  So would someone mind pm'ing what the latest and greatest is?  not sure I want to order from China, might pay a few extra dollars to have someone in the States to talk to about them.

I've got the SS4 and the DSC co-ops from this year, the active hub and passive hub from this year, a pair of Lynx SE's, and the Zeues co-op going now.

Last time I checked the Wiki, only one link worked, and then it was a grab bag on ebay of what might and what might not work!
PM sent.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline drlucas

I've just invested some cash on the items in the wiki...ordering from Ray is with confidence, but definitely chat with your local guys to see what they have done with them. I agree 100% about the mourning challenges between strings. Tomorrow I go to my local plastics guy as I try to build my roof outline. I am 99% sure i'm passing on the screwing things into the roof with u-clip idea and building some sort of clamp on solution. From there I can finalize how i'm going to mount these onto the pvc. i'm 99% sure it's 3/4" pvc and then zip ties every 3". I have about 100' of lights to outline the roof top.... I sure hope the lights stand the test of time.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline travailen

I've just invested some cash on the items in the wiki...ordering from Ray is with confidence, but definitely chat with your local guys to see what they have done with them. I agree 100% about the mourning challenges between strings. Tomorrow I go to my local plastics guy as I try to build my roof outline. I am 99% sure i'm passing on the screwing things into the roof with u-clip idea and building some sort of clamp on solution. From there I can finalize how i'm going to mount these onto the pvc. i'm 99% sure it's 3/4" pvc and then zip ties every 3". I have about 100' of lights to outline the roof top.... I sure hope the lights stand the test of time.

I started with 3/4 inch PVC and used the zip ties. Nothing stayed where I wanted and I was afraid to make the ties too tight as I might damage the strips. So I settled on UPS tape on each end and every 3 feet or so. Worked all last year and will put them up again this year. (I use the clips)

Rick S