Author Topic: Technicolor pixels with SSCv4 and Groups  (Read 2576 times)

Offline CW

Technicolor pixels with SSCv4 and Groups
« on: September 12, 2013, »
Here is a test with 31 nodes per section of the ws2811 technicolor pixels.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The top section is 1 group and 93 channels, middle is 2 groups and 48 channels, and bottom is 3 groups and 33 channels.  Only when it slows down do I see much difference. I am using loops in LOR S3 with 10% lower speed per pass and 5 loops per.  The test animation starts and ends with 1 RGB channel lit white and you can see with the grouping they are 1,2 and 3 nodes lit up.
I am planning on putting these on my gutter lines and am thinking of 2 groups to keep the channel count down.
Other then color assignment, these new pixels work well with SSC v4.  The new SS utility that is to be released with Zeus will take care of correcting the color assignment.
I zipped tied the pixels to 1/2 x 3/4 aluminum angle and they easy to install with screws. The 31 node sections are the longest at 14' per. The long ones are a little flimsy with the added weight and added holes for the zip ties and mounting holes but manageable.
Thought this be helpful info to share.

Craig
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, by CW »

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Technicolor pixels with SSCv4 and Groups
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, »
When I clicked on the link I went to the video, but it would not play.  I clicked on the "9 videos" selected the test video and it worked.  Maybe it was an anomally, but thought I would post in case anyone else had trouble. 

The nodes look good and I like the even spacing.  Might be nice to see a photo of a section of the strip to see the mounting details.  Thanks for posting.  I am trying to decide what to order and need to get it done.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, »
The problem is that for some reason the video is coming up at its end, not at the beginnig like it should nd the replay button is not working.  If you grab the progress indicator with the mouse ( which is the dot all the way to the right ) and pull it back to the beginning (left), then the vid plays just fine.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline CW

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, »
I fixed the link.  Something new for me, the last part of of the link =46s was starting the video at 46 seconds of the 47 second video, crazy.  I think I hit the start at button last night and that is where the video was at.
I will post some pics this evening.
Craig

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, »
When you say 1 group, 2 groups, 3 groups what exactly are you referring to?
Just wondering, is the reason behind you're wanting keep channel count down to simplify programming?

Offline CW

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, »
1 group is 1 pixel per RGB channel. 2 groups is 2 pixels per RBG channel. This will cut channel use in half for this SSC. Grouping was added this year to the pixel net / SSC devices.
Cutting down makes for quicker sequenseing and smaller file size and better computer performance.
 Last yr I had 8 universes of 512 channels. The PC bogged down guide a bit.

Offline CW

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, »
The nodes look good and I like the even spacing.  Might be nice to see a photo of a section of the strip to see the mounting details.  Thanks for posting.  I am trying to decide what to order and need to get it done.
Here are some photos.
The first one top is finished, middle rail is drilled, bottom is drill guide.  I made the drill guide out of scrap angle and notched the edge 1/8 wide x 1/8" deep for a 1/8 drill bit.  I got the measurements from the string.  Be sure to leave a little slack in the wire so it does not pull on the node in cold weather.
I put both rails in a vise and drill the holes while clamped as in last photo.  Use the previous holes to set the spacing for the next holes. Wire tie the nodes on holds well.

Craig
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, by CW »

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, »
Looks sharp and very well thought out.  Did you ever consider mounting to PVC?  I have some Technicolors coming in and that's what I was planning on doing.

Offline CW

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, »
Looks sharp and very well thought out.  Did you ever consider mounting to PVC?  I have some Technicolors coming in and that's what I was planning on doing.
I did think about PVC and use PVC for icicles and arches and a century mega tree, but for this I wanted flat and straight lines.
I already have aluminum angle with C7 led in RGB on the roof lines and next year I will swap those with the Technicolor pixels. I would like to do that this year but funds and time are getting tight.
I just got the screw on covers for the Technicolor in a faceted clear cover and I like how they defuse the hot spot and are bright at the same time. They are brighter then the C7 LED's.

Offline johno123

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, »
Craig,

Did you specify any comm speed with Ray when you picked up the ws2811's?  Just to be really clear, these were the ones that you purchased?

I ask because there were so many links on the other threads I wanted to make sure that I order what was tested successfully with the v4 firmware.

Thanks!

-John

Offline CW

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, »
I did not specify com speed and yes the link is exactly what I bought.

My only item to work out is correct color assignment, and that will happen with the new utility for Zeus.