Author Topic: Android app  (Read 1625 times)

Offline zwiller

Android app
« on: September 25, 2013, »
Didn't see much info about this.  I assume the etd/conductor needs to be connected to network/wifi?   Can someone elaborate how this works to someone with limited networking experience?   ;D

Is there any possibility to create/convert the android conductor app for iphone?  PLEASE!?   <;d

THANKS
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline peteandvanessa

Re: Android app
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, »
Here's how mine is working.

Firstly, the Etherdongle/Conductor doesn't need to be connected via Ethernet to an Access Point/ Router, you only need this if you want to connect to the Etherdongle/Conductor remotely from an Android device or via a PC .

The conductor gets installed on top of the Etherdongle and the latest Firmware flashed onto the Etherdongle. Format your flash card with the correct setting.Set up your sequences, music, password, shows and schedule on the flash card by setting it up locally on your PC via the USB to flash card adapter.
Then insert the card into the conductor flash card slot.

Connect the Etherdongle with the conductor via hard wired ethernet to a router, make sure that the router is set up correctly (check firewall settings and that it support multicast and that the radio WLAN is set up with the correct name), you need to name the SSID name that the router will broadcast, I just set the SSID name as say "Wireless LAN" and set up the Wireless password (see below).
There are different security types for Wireless Access, I personally use WPA2-Personal and set the encryption to TKIP
e.g to do this open up your network connections and right click on your wireless connection and select properties, you will need to set up:
1. Security - WPA2-Personal
2. Encryption - TKIP
3. Network Security Key - "This is a pass phrase" so you could type something you can remember like "thelazybrownfox"

Power up the Etherdongle and Conductor.

Then get your android tablet/phone and install the Conductor Control Panel version 3 from the Wiki.
here -> You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You can also connect to the Etherdongle/Condutor via a PC, but you use a different application located
here -> You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

After installing the App, go to the Wireless settings on your android device (tablet or phone) and connect to the Wireless router (look for the name of the Access Point e.g the SSID name you set up above, e.g it would be Wireless Lan as describe above) and use the same password and security that you set up on your router (it will need to be the same security setting, e.g. something like  WPA OR WPA2 etc).

This will then allow you to be connected to the same wireless network that the router is providing. This wireless router is connected to the Etherdongle/Conductor via the Ethernet Cable.

Fire up the Conductor control panel on your Android device. It will ask for the password that you set up on your Flash card, type in that password.

And viola, you will be connected to the Etherdongle/conductor.

It will probably report the Conductor Status as waiting, so if your schedule is set to start as say 7pm, and it's 3pm, it will report Conductor Status as "waiting"

You can't change the show, schedule or sequences or music on the flash card, but if it's in waiting status, you can manually play the show ONCE though by selecting the show on the card and click play.

Once the show starts at say 7pm, you can stop the show, and you can also see what sequence is playing, how far it's played of the current show and sequence, you can also set the volume of the left and right hand channels (I think), but you can't sync the time with your Android devices time (I think).

That's about it.

Don't know about conversion from Android to iPhone
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, by peteandvanessa »

Offline zwiller

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, »
Thanks for the great write up Pete!  I didn't want to hijack your thread.  That's concise and detailed enough to be in the wiki for the app!!!  Mods?

Surprisingly, that's close to how I envisioned it but I will need to dig a little farther about the firewall, multicast, etc.  For some reason I thought I had to somehow use the wireless router from wiki, but I realize I can just run wire.

As Rick alluded to in your thread, RJ had to scale back new features (accept the limitations you mention) due to how time intensive it was just to get the system solid.   
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, »
Yeah, dig into the Router/Access Point security to make sure it will work, some routers/wireless access points won't support Multicast.
On my router I have to login to the router at 192.168.1.1, then submit the router login name and password. Then I have to go to the security tab and check the  disable SPI Firewall so it will pass the traffic.

I also have to go to security tab and un-check Filter Multicast

Offline kenjreno

• Rail City
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, »
It looks like the conductor app for Android is still v1.5, and not working for the new v69 firmware.